Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 5th Jan 18, 3:14 PM
    • 23,754Posts
    • 22,635Thanks
    immoral_angeluk
    0 WOW
    Family kicked out of US as a minor..
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:14 PM
    0 WOW
    Family kicked out of US as a minor.. 5th Jan 18 at 3:14 PM
    Hi all,
    We're planning a family holiday to Florida in May, and am in the process of applying for the ESTA for myself and my two children.
    However, I keep having a nagging worry about me being refused entry. When I was 5, my family moved to Florida and remained there on and off for 7 years before finally returning to the UK when I was 11. My parents always told me that we left due to being 'kicked out over our immigration status'. We never received citizenship and I always remained a british citizen, with a UK passport.
    I never thought to get further clarification from my parents, who are now both deceased.
    Can anyone think of any reason that could affect me being allowed entry to the US as an adult? With all the crazy going on at the minute over there I want to be more safe than sorry!

I tried calling the US embassy but it just went through a maze of automated messages about generic immigration queries.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt 29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
Page 1
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 5th Jan 18, 3:53 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 4,368 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:53 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:53 PM
    We can't say whether it'll make a difference to your ESTA application - but as an ESTA lasts for 2 years, and costs very little to get, my advice would be to apply for it now. Don't leave it too late. And certainly do it before you pay for any tickets etc. If you apply now, you give yourself plenty of time to go through any appeals process that there might be.

Best of luck.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 5th Jan 18, 4:18 PM
    • 12,137 Posts
    • 8,256 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:18 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:18 PM
    We can't say whether it'll make a difference to your ESTA application - but as an ESTA lasts for 2 years, and costs very little to get, my advice would be to apply for it now. Don't leave it too late. And certainly do it before you pay for any tickets etc. If you apply now, you give yourself plenty of time to go through any appeals process that there might be.

Best of luck.
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    Sadly, an ESTA is no guarantee of admission. People who need a visa (eg British citizens with a criminal record) will still get an ESTA if they apply for one...
    • HogMan
    • By HogMan 5th Jan 18, 4:22 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    HogMan
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:22 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:22 PM
    I would agree with trailingspouse.

Apply for the ESTA ASAP answering the questions as fully as you can. If your application is successful the charge is US $14, if it is not then I believe you will only be charged $4.

In the event an ESTA application is not successful then you will have to apply via for a visa is likely to take time.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 5th Jan 18, 4:23 PM
    • 12,137 Posts
    • 8,256 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:23 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:23 PM
    Hi all,
    We're planning a family holiday to Florida in May, and am in the process of applying for the ESTA for myself and my two children.
    However, I keep having a nagging worry about me being refused entry. When I was 5, my family moved to Florida and remained there on and off for 7 years before finally returning to the UK when I was 11. My parents always told me that we left due to being 'kicked out over our immigration status'. We never received citizenship and I always remained a british citizen, with a UK passport.
    I never thought to get further clarification from my parents, who are now both deceased.
    Can anyone think of any reason that could affect me being allowed entry to the US as an adult? With all the crazy going on at the minute over there I want to be more safe than sorry!

I tried calling the US embassy but it just went through a maze of automated messages about generic immigration queries.
    Originally posted by immoral_angeluk
    My standard response is to point out that there are many other countries to visit, and personally I do not believe that the USA is worth the hassle that may be involved.

Anyway: if you have any relatives or friends in the USA you could ask them to contact their Congressman (like an MP) to find out whether you are eligible for "visa-waiver program". Or you could simply apply for a US visa: do be aware that if you were to apply today it is highly unlikely that you would have a decision by May. Or you could chance it: after all you do not know what happened in your childhood, and it is entirely possible that your family was there legally throughout and simply left when their visas were not renewed.
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 5th Jan 18, 4:32 PM
    • 23,754 Posts
    • 22,635 Thanks
    immoral_angeluk
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:32 PM
    I sent off my application for an ESTA today. Any idea who would be the best point of contact to find out whether there is an immigration issue I should know about?
    Que sera, sera. <3
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 5th Jan 18, 4:32 PM
    • 23,754 Posts
    • 22,635 Thanks
    immoral_angeluk
    Thankfully I have travel insurance that includes cancellation for such things so if it all goes pear shaped I'm covered.
    Que sera, sera. <3
    • photome
    • By photome 5th Jan 18, 4:38 PM
    • 13,174 Posts
    • 8,725 Thanks
    photome
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:38 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:38 PM
    I sent off my application for an ESTA today. Any idea who would be the best point of contact to find out whether there is an immigration issue I should know about?
    when you say you "sent off" I assume that means you applied online on the US gov website, in which case you should get an answer within about 24 hours.

as unholyangel says that is no gtee that you will be allowed in.

AS for your other issue ,I have no idea
    • photome
    • By photome 5th Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    • 13,174 Posts
    • 8,725 Thanks
    photome
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    Thankfully I have travel insurance that includes cancellation for such things so if it all goes pear shaped I'm covered.

The problem you may have is that you will get an ESTA which allows you to fly, of course when you get to border control they may not let you in. Would your insurance still cover you
    • HogMan
    • By HogMan 5th Jan 18, 4:42 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    HogMan
    I would wait for the ESTA to be processed. It is usually pretty quick, try logging in again to see if it has been processed already.

Depending on the outcome you should be given the next steps in the response.
    • HogMan
    • By HogMan 5th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    HogMan
    The problem you may have is that you will get an ESTA which allows you to fly, of course when you get to border control they may not let you in.
    To be fair the terms of the ESTA are such that that could happen to anybody regardless of any prior events.
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 5th Jan 18, 4:52 PM
    • 23,754 Posts
    • 22,635 Thanks
    immoral_angeluk
    I'll double check my insurance thanks.
    Que sera, sera. <3
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 5th Jan 18, 4:53 PM
    • 23,754 Posts
    • 22,635 Thanks
    immoral_angeluk
    I've just spoken to the Paralegal for a US/UK immigration solicitor. They've suggested putting in a FOIA request and then potentially applying for a B1/B2 visa if needed.
    Trying to get on the foia.gov website but it's not loading, typical.
    Que sera, sera. <3
    • photome
    • By photome 5th Jan 18, 4:54 PM
    • 13,174 Posts
    • 8,725 Thanks
    photome
    To be fair the terms of the ESTA are such that that could happen to anybody regardless of any prior events.
    Originally posted by HogMan
    Yes Irealise that, but my answer was directed at the OP who has specificaly stated there may be a problem
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 5th Jan 18, 5:01 PM
    • 23,754 Posts
    • 22,635 Thanks
    immoral_angeluk
    I'm amazed at how hard it is to seemingly find any information that might help me! Not even sure what agency I'd try and contact to make a FOIA request
    Que sera, sera. <3
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 5th Jan 18, 5:01 PM
    • 19,437 Posts
    • 45,093 Thanks
    peachyprice
    You usually get an instant acceptance or rejection online, what did yours say?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 5th Jan 18, 5:10 PM
    • 23,754 Posts
    • 22,635 Thanks
    immoral_angeluk
    Just checked and it says authorisation approved.
    Que sera, sera. <3
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 5th Jan 18, 5:24 PM
    • 23,754 Posts
    • 22,635 Thanks
    immoral_angeluk
    I'm trying to find any public records about my parents now to see if anything comes up. I'm rubbish at geneology stuff...
    Que sera, sera. <3
    • Murielson
    • By Murielson 6th Jan 18, 12:00 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Murielson
    If you returned to UK at age 11 then surely state yes if they ask have you been before and no to any questions regarding issues?

If both parents deceased then surely there will be no issues relating to you unless you specifically caused a problem? I would think if any problems then they will be 'logged' against your parents.
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 6th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    • 23,754 Posts
    • 22,635 Thanks
    immoral_angeluk
    From what I've been told, being a minor doesn't make any difference if there's some kind of immigration issue, such as if they overstayed or were kicked out for some other official reason other than them just leaving when their visa ran out.
    Que sera, sera. <3
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

217Posts Today

2,363Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin