Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TexasChainstoreMascara
    • By TexasChainstoreMascara 5th Jan 18, 1:18 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 8Thanks
    TexasChainstoreMascara
    0 WOW
    Lapland Xmas 2018
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:18 PM
    0 WOW
    Lapland Xmas 2018 5th Jan 18 at 1:18 PM
    Interested in taking the children to Lapland to see Santa for Xmas 2018. They will be 3 and 10 in December.

From a Google search it doesn't look like I would get much change from 1000 per person!

Are there any recommended agents to look at, or any particular times of year when the prices may be better?
Page 1
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 5th Jan 18, 2:08 PM
    • 2,832 Posts
    • 4,884 Thanks
    bap98189
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:08 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:08 PM
    Interested in taking the children to Lapland to see Santa for Xmas 2018. They will be 3 and 10 in December.

From a Google search it doesn't look like I would get much change from 1000 per person!

Are there any recommended agents to look at, or any particular times of year when the prices may be better?
    Originally posted by TexasChainstoreMascara
    It will be cheaper outside of the winter months. Holidays in Lapland are expensive at two times of the year. In summer when the Fins go on holiday to northern Finland, and in the winter when people to to see Santa or go skiing.

Santa Claus world is open all year round. We went a couple of years ago in September when we were on holiday in Northern Finland. At that time of the year it was practically deserted, as you can imagine, but was still open and you could visit Santa. The upside to going in September is that you can get accommodation very cheaply.
    • TexasChainstoreMascara
    • By TexasChainstoreMascara 6th Jan 18, 6:02 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    TexasChainstoreMascara
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:02 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:02 PM
    Thanks for the info.

Not sure about taking the kids in September, I'd have months worth of over excited children.

What was the weather like in the September? Still snow covered and suitable for the husky/reindeer excursions?

Where did you book and do you know the best time to look at deals for this?
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 8th Jan 18, 1:41 AM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 2,907 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:41 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:41 AM
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/november-and-december-2018-3-night-long-weekend-lapland-santa-claus-packages-from-22015pp-bb-or-44929pp-half-board-norweigan-2872680
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 st 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs: *61lbs lost* *30lbs to go*
    1st started SW16st13lbs tues11/7/17 - 38 weeks -53lbs
    2nd sw 14 st 12lbs Fri15/6/18 -> 0 weeks -0lbs
    2) to find new challenges
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 8th Jan 18, 1:36 PM
    • 2,832 Posts
    • 4,884 Thanks
    bap98189
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:36 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:36 PM
    Thanks for the info.

Not sure about taking the kids in September, I'd have months worth of over excited children.

What was the weather like in the September? Still snow covered and suitable for the husky/reindeer excursions?

Where did you book and do you know the best time to look at deals for this?
    Originally posted by TexasChainstoreMascara
    There was no snow in September. The weather was chilly, but well above 0C during the day. You'll probably have to wait until later October or November if you want there to be snow on the ground.

We booked our own trip. The flight was with Finnair to Rovaniemi via Helsinki. We then hired a car and spent 10 days driving south through Finland to Kuopio. For accommodation we booked a series of lodges along the route. Most were log cabins, but that's not as rough and ready as it sounds. Everywhere you stay in Finland has a Sauna, a fire and huge supply of firewood. We stayed in 4 different places, all of but the focus of our holiday was wildlife and walking, which is rather different than yours by the sound of it.
    • HappyFrog
    • By HappyFrog 8th Jan 18, 7:24 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    HappyFrog
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:24 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:24 PM
    I would look at doing this yourself rather than booking a package deal. We flew to Helsinki and then got the overnight sleeper train pretty much as far north as it would go (Kolari), and then arranged a transfer by snowmobile to our log cabin. Kids love travelling on overnight trains, and it is a great adventure for them. You can then pick your own add-ons to do when you are there. We went snowmobiling in the forest, sledding, floodlit skiing, etc. It was a great holiday. We didn't specifically do the 'Santa Claus' thing - I think you need to stop off at Rovaniemi for that. Check out the Finnish Railways website - they have a lot of good info in English.
    • TexasChainstoreMascara
    • By TexasChainstoreMascara 9th Jan 18, 9:04 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    TexasChainstoreMascara
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:04 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:04 AM
    @dawyldthing- that looks great, thank you! I have had a bit of a look and unfortunately is coming up more expensive and some flights showing unavailable. Will dig deeper though.

@HappyFrog- you might be right but it's knowing where to start! I don't mind parting with money but I don't want to be ripped off. I would like it to be as straight forward and simple as possible though (ie direct flights and activities/meals/thermals included)
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 9th Jan 18, 9:12 AM
    • 33,202 Posts
    • 39,150 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:12 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:12 AM
    Kitilla airport is the direct airport for the Lapland trips. Monarch airways used to have the direct flights , not sure who took the slots

Look for cheap direct flights , book accommodation direct (loads on Airbnb) and book any Santa trips direct

Levi is a good central area with ski slopes and good Access

We've priced our own trips at around 500-600 pp against 1200 pp as a package. You can buy cheap ski wear in Aldi. Last time we were there it was actually very mild in their terms , was still freezing but not that cold that we needed thermals

And as far as I'm aware there's no "all inclusive" trips , normally bed and breakfast , possibly evening meal
    Last edited by Browntoa; 09-01-2018 at 11:36 AM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • TexasChainstoreMascara
    • By TexasChainstoreMascara 12th Jan 18, 10:28 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    TexasChainstoreMascara
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:28 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:28 AM
    Thanks all for the help.

I'm going to have a proper look this weekend with a view to booking something. I suppose 2,500 for 3 days for a family of 4 wouldn't be over the top.

Anybody else know of anything that might help before I start searching?
    • Toucan_toucan
    • By Toucan_toucan 12th Jan 18, 11:00 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Toucan_toucan
    As others have said, do consider the overnight train. We did this last year - flew to Helsinki, got the sleeper train to Rovaniemi and then caught a bus to Levi. It was really easy and the train was very nice.

Also, Finnair will be running direct flights from Gatwick to Kittila, but they probably won't quite be on sale yet - you're a bit early for scheduled flights in December (they usually sell them about 355 days in advance, so early December is just available). The package/charter operators can plan a bit further in advance which is why you'll be able to buy those now, but if you want to do it yourself you'll need to wait a little longer for flights.

We really liked Levi. We don't have kids so I can't comment on some of that side of things, but we stayed in an apartment hotel and went to the supermarket for lunch & breakfast food and only ate our evening meals out. This saved us loads of money.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

725Posts Today

6,370Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This tweet made me reread my 'How to Vote in the EU referendum' guide - quite interesting to realise how little has? https://t.co/lFQaSSqUGj

• Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Follow Martin