Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wannalot
    • By wannalot 5th Jan 18, 12:40 PM
    • 129Posts
    • 1,060Thanks
    wannalot
    Good Waitrose buys
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:40 PM
    Good Waitrose buys 5th Jan 18 at 12:40 PM
    Hello all,

I have been given £50 of John Lewis vouchers, and I am thinking of using them at Waitrose instead, to save some cash on my grocery budget.

The only problem is that I have never shopped there before. Does anyone have any recommendations on good/good value buys there? I think the meat and fish are supposed to be good quality?

I’d be really grateful for any replies!
    January GC: £0/£110
    Aims for 2018:
    1. Stick to GC targets!
    2. No buying of books until I read what I have!
    4. Lose weight!
    5. Build up some savings!
Page 1
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 5th Jan 18, 1:24 PM
    • 5,240 Posts
    • 24,218 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:24 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:24 PM
    My OH has a My Waitrose card. We only ever shop there when they send us money off vouchers, which they do quite regularly, probably 3-4 times a year. We end up saving 20%. Sign up for a card and wait to see if you get some vouchers.
    • Grannymolly
    • By Grannymolly 5th Jan 18, 2:21 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    Grannymolly
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:21 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:21 PM
    You can get £20 off your first online shop of £80 which is pretty good. Their basic range is reasonably priced and they do have offers. Maybe just shop wisely or stock up on things you use often?
    Family of 4 and a cat, trying to reduce outgoings GC JAN £225.94/£250 GC FEB £93.20/£250
    • Farway
    • By Farway 5th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    • 6,227 Posts
    • 9,938 Thanks
    Farway
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    My OH has a My Waitrose card. We only ever shop there when they send us money off vouchers, which they do quite regularly, probably 3-4 times a year. We end up saving 20%. Sign up for a card and wait to see if you get some vouchers.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    I second this, get a loyalty card, this will then allow you to "pick your own offers" which gives an additional % off selected items. Limited choices but fine if they are what you use. Plus of course free newspaper & coffee for over £10 spend

Although W/rose is thought of as expensive, for some things it can be the same price or even less, especially if tied in with offers

Quality is always good IMO
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 5th Jan 18, 4:17 PM
    • 3,683 Posts
    • 5,531 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:17 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:17 PM
    Second the use of the pick your own offers. Also the loyalty card gets you 20% off fish on Fridays.
    • bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 5th Jan 18, 4:32 PM
    • 1,193 Posts
    • 5,641 Thanks
    bexster1975
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:32 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:32 PM
    Hi

I would also say that I find waitrose meat ( including essentials) excellent quality so if you can get it on deals/ys/puck your own it is worth stocking up and freezing.

Hope you get some great deals

Bexster
    • csnann
    • By csnann 5th Jan 18, 4:50 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    csnann
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:50 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:50 PM
    Waitrose are doing a lot of half price offers at the moment
    www.waitrose.com/shop/Browse/Offers
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 5th Jan 18, 6:06 PM
    • 2,141 Posts
    • 26,391 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 5th Jan 18, 6:06 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 6:06 PM
    Certainly sign up for a MyWaitrose card and go online to pick your own offers, choice can be limited but can include coffee, toilet roll etc so stuff you buy every week.
    Their essential range is excellent and good value, as previous poster said they currently have a half price event which I think will last all month. What I do like is how long their F&V lasts, even when it's yellow stickered.
    • Obviously the best
    • By Obviously the best 5th Jan 18, 9:37 PM
    • 4,026 Posts
    • 2,108 Thanks
    Obviously the best
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:37 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:37 PM
    Anything essential waitrose is usually pretty good, they also have a habit of yellow stickering odd things which can work out a bargain. Got 12 eggs with a use-by of 2 weeks for £0.10, no idea why!
    OTB

Always happy to help (ba-da-ba-ba-ba ching ching)
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 5th Jan 18, 11:55 PM
    • 15,971 Posts
    • 135,522 Thanks
    JackieO
    I have a W'rose loyalty card which I get vouchers for every few months and if I pick the right time late afternoon the meat Y/S is really good as a rule ,plus you can look online and get lots of offers for basic stuff.But I only go when I know I can make decent savings as my nearest one is a 20 mile round trip, but you do get a free coffee and a paper (good at weekends) if you spend over £10.00 As someone else said often their stuff is no dearer than other SM and their y/s stuff is always greatly reduced, more than my local big Mr T's
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 June spends so far £18.90, brought a few odds and ends home from my holiday and using those up first.
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 6th Jan 18, 12:16 AM
    • 8,434 Posts
    • 32,797 Thanks
    ampersand
    .Remember, too, that the cost of your freebie My Waitrose hot drink (e.g. cappuccino £2.25) and chosen paper go towards that £10.
    I have long played emporium and MrT off against each other.
    Local emporium meat and fish counter is haggle-friendly, in the nicest possible way:-)
    Quality is always good. Butter 500gms@£2.97 is still cheaper than MrT, despite recent substantial price rises(and range shrinkage) at both......more Brexit wrexit fallout
    The free Waitrose Weekend newspaper comes out on Thursdays. The monthly magazine is also free. Neither is purely guff and advertising.
    Rtc's abound late in day.
    #
    Enjoy the experience.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Whitefiver
    • By Whitefiver 6th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 407 Thanks
    Whitefiver
    If you are into breadmaking, the canadian strong wholemeal breadmaking flour takes some beating if you are looking for things to spend your cash on. Not cheap, but superb quality, flavour, and never fails in my breadmaker.

Also, as has been said, sign up for a loyalty card!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,195Posts Today

8,253Users online

Martin's Twitter