Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 5th Jan 18, 12:31 PM
    • 4,394Posts
    • 4,424Thanks
    DoaM
    Hospital parking earns record £175m in fees despite crackdown
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:31 PM
    Hospital parking earns record £175m in fees despite crackdown 5th Jan 18 at 12:31 PM
    I found this article ... thoughts?

https://www.petrolprices.com/news/hospital-parking-175m-crackdown/
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Page 1
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 6th Jan 18, 12:40 AM
    • 58,434 Posts
    • 71,937 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 6th Jan 18, 12:40 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 12:40 AM
    Terrible - but I hold out little hope of real change this year because money talks (Crapita).
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Joe whenjung
    • By Joe whenjung 6th Jan 18, 1:07 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Joe whenjung
    • 6th Jan 18, 1:07 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 1:07 AM
    Just think about that number for a second... £175 MILLION!!
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 6th Jan 18, 9:05 AM
    • 26,116 Posts
    • 35,092 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:05 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:05 AM
    If all the £175million got into the NHS coffers I'd be in 2 minds about the money made. However its probable that some/a lot/most got into PPC's then I'm definitely against it.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 6th Jan 18, 9:25 AM
    • 9,494 Posts
    • 9,252 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:25 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:25 AM
    Hang on CM, let us keep things in perspective. Royal Berkshire Hospital, which employs over 4,000 staff, is served by a multi story car park, which must have cost millions to build. It is properly run, with barriers in and out, and its charges are in line with others in Reading.

No one is being ripped off, no-one is being conned by PPCs, what is the problem if the car park returns a dividend on its investment.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • bargepole
    • By bargepole 6th Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    • 2,278 Posts
    • 6,629 Thanks
    bargepole
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    Hang on CM, let us keep things in perspective. Royal Berkshire Hospital, which employs over 4,000 staff, is served by a multi story car park, which must have cost millions to build. It is properly run, with barriers in and out, and its charges are in line with others in Reading.

No one is being ripped off, no-one is being conned by PPCs, what is the problem if the car park returns a dividend on its investment.
    Originally posted by The Deep
    I know this location well, my granddaughter was born at Royal Berks in Sept. 2016, and yes it has barriers so that you can't get out without paying.

But the whole issue here is whether patients / visitors should be charged for parking at all in England. The hospital itself would have cost many more millions to build, but treatment is free on the NHS which is funded by taxes to the tune of £billions. Scotland and Wales (or most of it) do not allow their hospitals to charge for parking.

Also charges 'in line with others in Reading' does not say much, the town has one of the highest car parking charge levels in the Thames Valley.
    Speeding cases fought: 24 (3 of mine, 21 for others). Cases won: 20. Points on licence: 0. Private Parking Court Cases: Won 33. Lost 10.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Jan 18, 12:38 PM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 4,424 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 6th Jan 18, 12:38 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 12:38 PM
    Scotland and Wales (or most of it) do not allow their hospitals to charge for parking.
    Originally posted by bargepole
    Unless the hospital was built as part of a PFI ... i.e. the NHS/government don't own the building/land and are merely leasing it. In those situations they're still allowed to charge for parking.

But as a general rule - yes, you're right.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

466Posts Today

4,917Users online

Martin's Twitter