PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord selling / sold house need some legal advice

Comments

• Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 6 January 2018 at 1:15PM
    Upload to a site such as imgur.com (just click on 'New post') and then post the link here.

If you don't have permission to post links yet just throw a few spaces in the URL to obfuscate it and one of us will sort it out.
  • G_M wrote: »
    What date did the tenancy start?

See my earlier link on validity of S21 Notices.

And/or read this post and see the links to example S21 Notices at the end:
    * Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?

If you only received it today (6/1/18) then 5/3/18 is less than 2 months. How did you receive it? Post? Date of posting? 1st or 2nd class?

Thank You for that S21 Validity checker has been a big help, and according to that, the notice is invalid that was for other reasons I don't want to post in public before they sent the S21 today

The S21 being received today also makes the S21 Invalid as it is less than two months notice
    They seem to be digging a deeper hole

Received by post today (6th January) I assume it is first class as it was signed and posted yesterday
    Date of posting which is clearly visible on the envelope is 05/01/18

They did inform Me they was sending the S21 / paperwork as stated in the original post, and that is the part I am uncertain of, whether that covers them for sending the notice out a day too late

From what I know it should not be the case as it should be done in writing not in a phone call as they have done
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,039
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    If you haven't already done so, this would be a good time to change the locks.

Keep the old locks to replace once you leave.

They are not allowed to turn up and just collect the keys, so ignore that bit.

Once you have posted the S21 you have received, then we can establish if it is valid or not. If it isn't, say nothing, and the two months starts all over again from whenever they realise.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • 0tL10qf.jpg
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,455
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Ignore notice for the moment & don't tell landlord he's got an invalid notice.

As soon as he knows notice is invalid he can issue a new, valid, one. Wait & seewhat it does - if it gets to court challenge case on basis of invalidity..

Even if notice is valid if you dig your heels it will take 40+ weeks on average to evict you see...
    https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/forum/residential-letting-questions/77351-time-to-repossess-statistics

(One option you/owner may consider - I make no comment on morality...). Perhaps old/new owner might be prepared to bribe you to move early. Were it me I'd want £5k+

Artful: Landlord
  • Ignore notice for the moment & don't tell landlord he's got an invalid notice.

As soon as he knows notice is invalid he can issue a new, valid, one. Wait & seewhat it does - if it gets to court challenge case on basis of invalidity..

Even if notice is valid if you dig your heels it will take 40+ weeks on average to evict you see...
    https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/forum/residential-letting-questions/77351-time-to-repossess-statistics

(One option you/owner may consider - I make no comment on morality...). Perhaps old/new owner might be prepared to bribe you to move early. Were it me I'd want £5k+

Artful: Landlord

Thanks I have NO intention of letting them know the notice is invalid they will find that out on the 5th March when they knock on the door or ring the bell

If the old owner / LL did try to bribe Me to move early that would be good in a lot of ways but Me being stubborn I would most likely decline the offer due to the fact of how they have gone about doing what they have done and also due to the threatening behavior when they came out to the house and the bully tactics they have used and also due to the fact that they have basically used Me to sell the house (replacing kitchen and doing a couple of other minor things)

The new owner is more than welcome to make an offer if they want but I cannot see that happening and I am unsure if I would accept or not, all depends on the offer and how I feel at the time
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,455
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Any silly/bullying/harassing behaviour make a log, collect evidence.

Landlords can & have gone to jail for harassment (& illegal eviction) - both criminal offences.

However new owner may have been told he's getting it on dd/mm with vacant possession and may thus be understandably v upset when he finds out there's an issue
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So what's your plan for the future? You'll be there for a few more months and then what? Of course, you haven't considered for a second that maybe, just maybe, your LL is selling because they have found themselves in a very bad situation and had no choice. Who cares though right? Not your problem.
  • FBaby wrote: »
    So what's your plan for the future? You'll be there for a few more months and then what? Of course, you haven't considered for a second that maybe, just maybe, your LL is selling because they have found themselves in a very bad situation and had no choice. Who cares though right? Not your problem.

Yes I will be here for a few more months
    And yes I have considered various things, one of those being the situation of the landlord
    Due to the LL's decisions and actions is one of the reasons I am doing what I am

The LL and their agents are acting Illegally while trying to use bully tactics (But You do not care about that do You ? )
    IF the LL came to Me and treated Me with respect instead of trying to bully and threatening Me then My actions now might have been different

LL has tried selling the house before BUT NO ONE wanted it for the price he was asking because of the condition of it (and it was very bad)
    But now that I have fixed the place up and after he knows that He decided to place it back on the market BECAUSE I fixed it up with a new kitchen and so on (You don't care about that also do You ? )
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    LL has tried selling the house before BUT NO ONE wanted it for the price he was asking because of the condition of it (and it was very bad)
    But that's my point, you were happy to be there though before they decided to sell. You were not forced to stay, let alone put a new kitchen, you could have given notice and moved just as you will ultimately have to do. Maybe you are forgetting to mention that you actually got a reduction in rent for putting in a new kitchen, who knows.

'Bully tactics' is a very subjective matter. Many use it when they are asked to do things they don't want to do or bury their head in the sand.

The point remains, you will stay longer, causing much trouble, but is this really going to benefit you? Will you be able to save a deposit during that time? Will you find it easier to find somewhere else to live, with a negative reference that will make it that much harder for you?

It's all very well wanting revenge, but in the end, you won't win, you'll still have to go and your actions might just make it even harder for you to find not only a good property but also a good future landlord.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure