Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • jen0dorf
    • By jen0dorf 5th Jan 18, 11:01 AM
    • 91Posts
    • 33Thanks
    • #1
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:01 AM
    balifss 5th Jan 18 at 11:01 AM

    apologies if this is not the correct forum. - was advised to move this question to this forums

    My son has split with his partner - in reality she has locked him out of their rented home.

    They have debts of around 8000 which I suspect they have no easy means of paying including Council Tax, electricity, gas, rent etc etc.

    It looks like he will be moving in with my wife and I for the forseeable future.

    If a Baliff/Debt Collector calls are they allowed entry to my home and can they seize my property - like most people I do not have receipts for everything purchased over the last 45 years of marriage.

    Do I let the bailiffs in out of politeness or just send them away

    Would appreciate any advice as this is a new experience for both my wife and I


    Last edited by jen0dorf; 05-01-2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: forum move
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • #2
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:15 PM
    • #2
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:15 PM
    Hi Ian

    I can understand your concerns but there's a few things to know that will put your mind at ease. First of all debt collection agencies (DCAs) are not bailiffs and have no special powers. Home visits are rare as there is nothing they can do when they get there. You would simply ask them to leave.

    Bailiffs can only be used once they have been authorised by a court. Your son should be given 7 days notice before a home visit and in almost every case they do not have the right to force entry unless they have been inside previously. Keep doors locked and never let a bailiff in. Once they're inside they're much harder to deal with. They're not allowed to take your goods but it can be hard to prove who owns what.

    One notable exception is a bailiff collecting a magistrates' court fine, but even then it is very rare they actually use their right to force entry. The advice is still not to let them in. I'd recommend your son seeks advice on his options from one of the free debt advice agencies as there may well be ways he can help stop the debts even getting to bailiff stage. I hope it all goes well.

    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • tallyhoh
    • By tallyhoh 5th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    • 2,120 Posts
    • 2,183 Thanks
    • #3
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    • #3
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    and tell him to get his name off the tenancy etc if he's on

    Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved 21,840 so far!
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 5th Jan 18, 9:59 PM
    • 31,929 Posts
    • 20,105 Thanks
    • #4
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:59 PM
    • #4
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:59 PM
    If your son is in when they call then he can speak to them if he wants, can even get a payment plan setup if he chooses.
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 5th Jan 18, 10:47 PM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 63,592 Thanks
    • #5
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:47 PM
    • #5
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:47 PM
    If he was also responsible for paying council tax he needs to tell the council he no longer lives there and is no longer responsible for the bill.

    Also, if the energy, water, phone and broadband accounts were in his name he must also contact each and every one of them and tell them he has moved out from x date and is no longer responsible for bills from that date - ask for landline/broadband to be cut off, the rest will move to the occupier.

    With regard to rent, if he is named as a joint tenant then i believe he is still liable for the rent if the ex refuses to pay - if the ex is the sole named tenant then it's up to them.

    Any mobile contracts which he is paying for I would suggest also be cancelled.

    As for the 8000 debt he should work out who is responsible for what and try and work at clearing his share.

    He should also get any joint credit cards cancelled ASAP and if any joint bank accounts get the bank(s) to block if possible to stop overuse charges.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

87Posts Today

1,937Users online

Martin's Twitter