Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bob the Bob
    • By Bob the Bob 5th Jan 18, 10:59 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Bob the Bob
    Extra miles on insurance, do I need to pay for them?
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:59 AM
    Extra miles on insurance, do I need to pay for them? 5th Jan 18 at 10:59 AM
    Hello everyone,

My 1st year car insurance policy with insurethebox is due to end on the 17th of this month.

Initially I signed up for 6000 miles on my insurance, not knowing I would use almost twice this, and end up having to pay for the miles, adding another 600 pounds or so onto my already extortionate premium.

I'm currently minus 1200 miles with them and my question is whether I need to pay these extra miles or whether I can let them slip. Would they check the amount of miles I have not paid for and not give me my No claims discount until I pay it off?

any help would be fantastic as I could really use the extra money (200 pounds or so) to pay towards next years insurance.

Thanks a lot

for anyone looking to insure with this company, it seems like they are amongst the worst you can choose and have given me continued anxiety about having my policy cancelled due to speeding. I started off sticking inside the speed limit at all times, however when I realised I was not gaining any bonus miles from them thought this was futile. Overall received 13 out of 1200 bonus miles for the year, despite being a very safe driver.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 5th Jan 18, 11:04 AM
    • 35,912 Posts
    • 20,185 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:04 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:04 AM
    What does your policy say about exceeding the mileage included?

A breach of an insurance policy condition allows them to take action against you - including cancelling ghe policy - this will be far more expensive in the long run than paying any extra charge required over the mileage! (Especially if you get a cancellation following a claim!!)
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 5th Jan 18, 11:08 AM
    • 813 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    David Aston
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:08 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:08 AM
    You think staying within posted speed limits is futile?
    God help us all.
    • Bob the Bob
    • By Bob the Bob 5th Jan 18, 11:10 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bob the Bob
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:10 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:10 AM
    I drive to the condition of the roads, including time of day etc.

For example if I'm driving in an area which is a 20 due to being a school at 2 o clock in the morning, I think there is nothing wrong with going up to 10mph above since no one is around.
    • Bob the Bob
    • By Bob the Bob 5th Jan 18, 11:13 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bob the Bob
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:13 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:13 AM
    Hi,

Thanks for your response

They've sent multiple threats about cancelling my policy due to exceeding policy miles (even when I've only exceeded it by 20miles). I haven't topped up my miles in a while as the threats have dried up and they've stopped sending them. Since my policy will end in 2 weeks time and I haven't had a letter of cancellation I'm wondering whether I can get away with not paying this.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 5th Jan 18, 11:14 AM
    • 5,346 Posts
    • 4,531 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:14 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:14 AM

For example if I'm driving in an area which is a 20 due to being a school at 2 o clock in the morning, I think there is nothing wrong with going up to 10mph above since no one is around.
    Originally posted by Bob the Bob

good luck using that as a defence when you are caught
    • Bob the Bob
    • By Bob the Bob 5th Jan 18, 11:21 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bob the Bob
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:21 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:21 AM
    please keep responses relevant to my question
    • FlameCloud
    • By FlameCloud 5th Jan 18, 11:23 AM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    FlameCloud
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:23 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:23 AM

You sound like you need to retake your test.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 5th Jan 18, 11:25 AM
    • 5,346 Posts
    • 4,531 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:25 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:25 AM

it is relevant to your question as you brought up your speeding and "bonus miles"

Hope you get caught and loose your licence with such an arrogant attitude as a new driver
    • Bob the Bob
    • By Bob the Bob 5th Jan 18, 11:30 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bob the Bob
    if you think driving slightly over the speed limit at safer times is arrogant then please re-evaluate and stop lying to yourself as I'm sure you've exceeded the speed limit at the very least ONCE before.

Within any given month, this insurer gives you 0 bonus miles if you've accidentally gone 22 mph in a 20 zone only once, quite ridiculous.

it is not relevant to my question as I'm asking whether I should pay for the extra miles, not for feedback on my driving style, which is very safe.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 5th Jan 18, 11:34 AM
    • 20,343 Posts
    • 16,117 Thanks
    agrinnall
    ...which is very safe.
    By your own admission it isn't. I don't think you'll get much help unless you can see that having said you're prepared to drive at 50% over the speed limit then paying for the excess mileage may be the least of your issues.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 5th Jan 18, 11:38 AM
    • 2,662 Posts
    • 1,738 Thanks
    Robin9
    How do they know you've exceeded the 6000 miles ? Have you a black box fitted ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 5th Jan 18, 11:39 AM
    • 5,346 Posts
    • 4,531 Thanks
    glentoran99
    if you think driving slightly over the speed limit at safer times is arrogant then please re-evaluate and stop lying to yourself as I'm sure you've exceeded the speed limit at the very least ONCE before.

Within any given month, this insurer gives you 0 bonus miles if you've accidentally gone 22 mph in a 20 zone only once, quite ridiculous.

it is not relevant to my question as I'm asking whether I should pay for the extra miles, not for feedback on my driving style, which is very safe.

10mph isn't slightly over, and you are making a conscious decision to break the speed limit as you know better than the law, I have broken the speed limit and completed the speed awareness course but I never decided "i know it says 30 but should be 40 so ill drive that"

You have a black box because you are a new high risk driver, your attitude is proving them correct

that extra 10mph is doubling your stopping distance, that is not "VERY SAFE"
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 5th Jan 18, 11:40 AM
    • 5,346 Posts
    • 4,531 Thanks
    glentoran99
    How do they know you've exceeded the 6000 miles ? Have you a black box fitted ?
    Originally posted by Robin9

He does, and thinks its ok to make up his own speed limits
    • molerat
    • By molerat 5th Jan 18, 11:50 AM
    • 18,807 Posts
    • 12,992 Thanks
    molerat
    When you become a safe and competent driver you will have access to non black box mainstream insurance. At the moment you seem to fall short of that standard so will have to continue to pay through the nose until you (im)prove yourself.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 5th Jan 18, 11:50 AM
    • 35,912 Posts
    • 20,185 Thanks
    Quentin
    Since my policy will end in 2 weeks time and I haven't had a letter of cancellation I'm wondering whether I can get away with not paying this.
    As already advised it's your call whether or not you break your conditions

You can go elsewhere at the end of your policy.

If they bill you for your extra miles then you don't pay expect them to pursue you for the debt
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 5th Jan 18, 11:55 AM
    • 822 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks
    camelot1971
    Yes, you will have to pay for them. Once you have paid, please sell your car and never get behind the wheel again. Oh, and is your key broken or something?
    • Bob the Bob
    • By Bob the Bob 5th Jan 18, 12:17 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bob the Bob
    I was on blackbox insurance for my first year as non black box premiums were through the roof.

Now I have 2 years no claims, including provisional, I can in fact afford to go non-black box
    • Bob the Bob
    • By Bob the Bob 5th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bob the Bob
    thanks for your response, yes I do have a black box and I've gone up to around 11000 miles for the year. Fortunately I have some more reasonable quotes for renewal which are non black box
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 5th Jan 18, 12:30 PM
    • 2,662 Posts
    • 1,738 Thanks
    Robin9
    Make sure you declare your mileage correctly when you change providers. - if you under-declare and make a claim expect your claim to be rejected and insurance voided.

PS They can check your miles on the MOT system.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

85Posts Today

1,645Users online

Martin's Twitter