Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 5th Jan 18, 10:05 AM
    • 2,369Posts
    • 1,099Thanks
    AliceBanned
    BT awful customer service - switching after engineer visit?
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:05 AM
    BT awful customer service - switching after engineer visit? 5th Jan 18 at 10:05 AM
    My elderly parents had problems with their broadband going back to September or before. They have been paying 66 per month for phone, broadband and TV - I had only just been made aware of it all in November when I tried to get the broadband up and running and spoke to BT on the phone and they talked me through a complex set of procedures which even included unscrewing the phone socket from the wall and tampering with wires inside.

I didn't get it working then but due to mental health problems in the family it all became a bit much and I took a breather from it and phoned BT back this week when I realised it was still not working and my father probably would keep paying and never get round to coping with sorting it. BT had quoted the usual 129 engineer fee if it isn't BT's fault. They also said it was 'resolved' in September and November when we called but it never was - we just couldn't handle the situation at home and there were wires everywhere etc. Hard to explain but it is the truth.

I am appalled by the response from BT today as I have tried to get some kind of understanding and goodwill payment as they have been paying for broadband they couldn't use for months. The person I spoke to offered 5 after I explained they are elderly, there is also a problem with hoarding, and memory problems. The guy was so hostile and condescending. I told him my parents had been with BT for 51 years and this was appalling.

My question is, should I just switch them to eg EE now (if they agree obviously) or would they then get charged for the engineer visit?. I swore at the guy in the end (I can only cope with so much unreasonableness). They don't use much of the phone package anyway. I was offered a package for them of 45 per month which didn't include evening calls. Not great. I just got the feeling BT don't care at all about their customers and have not been understanding the situation all along. I should complain to the ombudsman. I am not even sure what the fault was in the end. Maybe they just got a nice engineer.
    DFW - goal December 2019
    Debt at LBM: 18,335
    Current debt: 10,234
    • By Quentin 5th Jan 18, 11:46 AM
    • 35,913 Posts
    • 20,185 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:46 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:46 AM
    If they weren't aware of the problem they couldn't do much till you contacted them much later.

Shame you resorted to swearing - you lose any high ground behaving like that.

Everyone has to pay for an engineer if it's an unnecessary visit/ due to customers wiring etc whoever the supplier is
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 5th Jan 18, 12:37 PM
    • 10,512 Posts
    • 4,443 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:37 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:37 PM
    Big question is why was BB unusable .
    Reads as user problem in which case moving or not requires an Engineers visit to sort and its chargeable .
    Moving to EE its the same infrastructure and the same problems .Plus charges may apply if still in contract .
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 5th Jan 18, 1:04 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:04 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:04 PM
    If they weren't aware of the problem they couldn't do much till you contacted them much later.

Shame you resorted to swearing - you lose any high ground behaving like that.

Everyone has to pay for an engineer if it's an unnecessary visit/ due to customers wiring etc whoever the supplier is
    Originally posted by Quentin

It was clearly BT problem as they didn't charge for the engineer visit. I am just saying if I switch now they might renege on that but I doubt they can as the service should have been working retrospectively. I think companies who know about customer service or care about it don't behave in this way. I am not talking literally here - obviously there is some fault on both sides but there are mental health and memory issues and lots of problems going on so I don't think they should have a blanket approach where there is no give (well unless you count 5 as a generous rebate).
    DFW - goal December 2019
    • By AliceBanned 5th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    I am going to move them to Virgin - the customer care is important especially as they are elderly.
    DFW - goal December 2019
    • By Inner Zone 5th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    I am going to move them to Virgin - the customer care is important especially as they are elderly.
    Originally posted by AliceBanned
    You really think VM will be any better. Bit like BT with Openreach they sub out most of their work to a third party.
    Last edited by Inner Zone; 05-01-2018 at 1:21 PM.
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 5th Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    You really think VM will be any better. Bit like BT with Openreach they sub out most of there work to a third party.
    Originally posted by Inner Zone
    I doubt VM lose all the accountability though - they are a more forward-thinking company. I don't hear bad things from anyone about VM but hear loads about BT. They just rely on inertia to keep customers and unfortunately a lot of older people aren't as au fait with switching. BT used to be the only provider - even I remember those times.
    DFW - goal December 2019
    • By Quentin 5th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 35,913 Posts
    • 20,185 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    I don't hear bad things from anyone about VM.....
    You can read loads here:

https://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband/providers/virgin-media/reviews/
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 5th Jan 18, 1:57 PM
    • 10,512 Posts
    • 4,443 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:57 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:57 PM
    Elderly /memory /mental should be registered with the provider as such .

Customer care = Zen or A&A for the best .
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 5th Jan 18, 3:10 PM
    • 4,282 Posts
    • 9,657 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    I doubt VM lose all the accountability though - they are a more forward-thinking company. I don't hear bad things from anyone about VM but hear loads about BT. .
    We use VM at work. I can tell you some bad things from experience if you want.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 5th Jan 18, 4:56 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    Elderly /memory /mental should be registered with the provider as such .

Customer care = Zen or A&A for the best .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Thanks - I will do that in future. They are just reaching a stage where I am realising things like this are slipping through the net so I need to try and keep copied in on some of their bills etc. They will go out of contract and pay more than they need for months or years otherwise.
    DFW - goal December 2019
    • By littleboo 5th Jan 18, 5:02 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    littleboo
    I doubt VM lose all the accountability though - they are a more forward-thinking company. I don't hear bad things from anyone about VM but hear loads about BT. They just rely on inertia to keep customers and unfortunately a lot of older people aren't as au fait with switching. BT used to be the only provider - even I remember those times.
    They're not, I can vouch for that. I'm not sure what your complaint with BT is, you said you don't know what the issue was, it may have been on your equipment but the technician didn't report it as that, avoiding the charge. If may have been on Openreachs equipment, if you didn't pursue the issue since November, they will assume that your service is working. Unscrewing the faceplate is not complex and the purpose is to help you eliminate your equipment and thereby avoid a charge.
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 5th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    They're not, I can vouch for that. I'm not sure what your complaint with BT is, you said you don't know what the issue was, it may have been on your equipment but the technician didn't report it as that, avoiding the charge. If may have been on Openreachs equipment, if you didn't pursue the issue since November, they will assume that your service is working. Unscrewing the faceplate is not complex and the purpose is to help you eliminate your equipment and thereby avoid a charge.
    Originally posted by littleboo
    I think I've made my complaint more than clear. They've been overpaying for a service they didn't have (I think there was a degree of misselling here) and of course in your opinion that's my/their fault but having spoken to BT and explained there should be some allowance for some circumstances or at least an offer of a better goodwill gesture than 5.

How do you know it wasn't complex? The faceplate has been there for 50 years so believe me it was almost impossible and didn't feel appropriate that elderly people should be asked to lie on the floor and use all the strength they had to unscrew it. I could only just do one side myself so my Dad had to lie scramble around doing the other one and he is quite frail. They wouldn't have been able to do the troubleshooting themselves and kept putting it off for that reason. I don't live near them so I had to do it when I could.

I've explained why I didn't report it (I tried twice and my Dad tried once) and you couldn't possibly know the full extent of the problems (health) but as mentioned above there are mitigating reasons why we only reported it in September, November and December (surely enough?!!) and i'm not posting on here saying I'm perfect but there is a lot of personal stuff that I'm not going to go into any further than I have already.

I just thought BT could have handled it better and I'm going elsewhere anyway. I am sure the engineer was compassionate but there was no internal fault when I did all the checks and it took several hours on the phone when I tried to get it working. I made it clear to BT in November after the fault finding that it still didn't work but they didn't call out an engineer at that point because my parents were worried about the cost - especially if unnecessary.

Also they were out of contract and not aware of the charges - they were getting online-only bills. It's a bit of a scam as elderly people are much less au-fait with doing stuff online, in general and companies should make allowances instead of charging them for paper copies. There should be exceptions for the vulnerable in society and I'm only trying to fight for them because they aren't in a position to ask for a fairer deal themselves.
    DFW - goal December 2019
    • By Colin_Maybe 6th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    • 2,235 Posts
    • 1,036 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I think I've made my complaint more than clear. They've been overpaying for a service they didn't have (I think there was a degree of misselling here) and of course in your opinion that's my/their fault but having spoken to BT and explained there should be some allowance for some circumstances or at least an offer of a better goodwill gesture than 5.
    They haven't been 'overpaying' (probably paying more than they need maybe) and you said yourself BT weren't initially advised of a problem and then when they offered to send out an engineer you/they refused. If the problem is anywhere outside up to and including the master socket then they wouldn't be charged otherwise (if it's internal) Openreach will bill BT. That's why they have to advise of the possibility of a charge.

Miss-selling? Are you saying they were mis-sold 51 years ago? I think the timelimit has passed on that one.

How do you know it wasn't complex? The faceplate has been there for 50 years so believe me it was almost impossible and didn't feel appropriate that elderly people should be asked to lie on the floor and use all the strength they had to unscrew it. I could only just do one side myself so my Dad had to lie scramble around doing the other one and he is quite frail. They wouldn't have been able to do the troubleshooting themselves and kept putting it off for that reason. I don't live near them so I had to do it when I could.
    If it's 50 years old then I don't think it will have the removable plate at the front where a customer can plug the router directly in (therefore bypassing all of the internal wiring) and narrowing down the problem. I would be flabbergasted if anyone advised you to take the faceplate off as that is purely Openreach territory and you would be right to complain if that was the case.

I've explained why I didn't report it (I tried twice and my Dad tried once) and you couldn't possibly know the full extent of the problems (health) but as mentioned above there are mitigating reasons why we only reported it in September, November and December (surely enough?!!) and i'm not posting on here saying I'm perfect but there is a lot of personal stuff that I'm not going to go into any further than I have already.
    I'm genuinely sorry to hear of your troubles but I can't see how it's relevant.

I just thought BT could have handled it better and I'm going elsewhere anyway. I am sure the engineer was compassionate but there was no internal fault when I did all the checks and it took several hours on the phone when I tried to get it working. I made it clear to BT in November after the fault finding that it still didn't work but they didn't call out an engineer at that point because my parents were worried about the cost - especially if unnecessary.
    Again, BT offered to send out an engineer but you/they refused it since you wouldn't agree that there was the possibility of a charge if it turned out to be internal.

Also they were out of contract and not aware of the charges - they were getting online-only bills. It's a bit of a scam as elderly people are much less au-fait with doing stuff online, in general and companies should make allowances instead of charging them for paper copies. There should be exceptions for the vulnerable in society and I'm only trying to fight for them because they aren't in a position to ask for a fairer deal themselves.
    They weren't 'out of contract', they were out of minimum term, that is very different.

Do they not get bank statements that show the charges?

'It's a bit of a scam', no it's really not. It's called saving the environment.

Why do people always seem to think that companies should be responsible for their parents? Isn't that your job?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,606Posts Today

8,181Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin