Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cinders2001
    • By Cinders2001 5th Jan 18, 9:49 AM
    • 1,378Posts
    • 885Thanks
    Cinders2001
    Apple ID Help please!!!
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:49 AM
    Apple ID Help please!!! 5th Jan 18 at 9:49 AM
    When our family were younger, each had (and still has) an iPad.
    We used my husband Apple ID on all the devices. (Fa,ily Sharing wasn't around then)

Now they are older, we want to give them their own Apple ID.

Question....
    What will happen to all the apps and info and everything on their iPads if we create a separate ID for each of them now?

In need of real help here. Anyone know properly what will happen?
    Much appreciated, thank you.
    Last edited by Cinders2001; 05-01-2018 at 9:51 AM.
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **

Thank you costs nothing but means a lot. That's why I thank all posts I like!
Page 1
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 5th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    • 3,657 Posts
    • 2,877 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    The apps are linked to the Apple ID.
    If you create a new Apple ID you will have to start from scratch and buy/redownload any apps you want.
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Cinders2001
    • By Cinders2001 5th Jan 18, 10:11 AM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    Cinders2001
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:11 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:11 AM
    The apps are linked to the Apple ID.
    If you create a new Apple ID you will have to start from scratch and buy/redownload any apps you want.
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    That was my suspicion too.

What about if after a new ID has been made, hubby uses family sharing. Will we be able to use the apps then?
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **

• Cinders2001
    • By Cinders2001 5th Jan 18, 10:17 AM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    Cinders2001
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:17 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:17 AM
    Andy, what about other things on the iPad?
    For instance, all the photos stored on it?
    We are using Google Photos to store then also ... will that be affected?

All the Notes?
    Will they be deleted?

Daughter just asked ... Is there a limit in Family Sharing?
    As in how many users in the household and a limit on how many apps?

And the music and Garage Band created music.
    Last edited by Cinders2001; 05-01-2018 at 10:20 AM.

• AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 5th Jan 18, 10:32 AM
    • 3,657 Posts
    • 2,877 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:32 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:32 AM
    Have a read of this

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201088

If you use family sharing then the Dad will be paying for everyones apps and downloads.

As for the google photos, they are linked to the google account that is signed in
    • Cinders2001
    • By Cinders2001 5th Jan 18, 11:21 AM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    Cinders2001
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:21 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:21 AM
    Have a read of this

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201088
    If you use family sharing then the Dad will be paying for everyones apps and downloads.
    As for the google photos, they are linked to the google account that is signed in

Thanks Andy.
    So in essence, other than the pre installed apps, all the apps currently on MY iPad will be deleted or just unaccessable?
    And I will have to download them afresh from the App Store?

So that means the game scores and levels (two dots) (Minecraft) (Nonograms) (club penguin), will be back to square 1?

Anything else I ought to know?

(I will read the link properly, so far I've just scanned through.)

• Cinders2001
    • By Cinders2001 5th Jan 18, 6:54 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    Cinders2001
    • 5th Jan 18, 6:54 PM
    Update...
    • 5th Jan 18, 6:54 PM
    Just been to the Cribbs Causeway shopping mall... the Apple Store to be precise!

And I want to run this past you all...
    The young lady said that even though we are using one Apple ID and 5 Apple devices on that one ID, each device info will be stored separately in the iCloud.
    She said first make sure we back up each device to the iCloud.
    Then log out of existing Apple ID.
    Create a new individual ID for each.
    First Apple ID owner then turns on Family Sharing and we can access the backed up data from the iCloud.
    She said nothing will be lost... All apps will still be on each device.

However, before I do the deed, I really need to be sure!!

What do you all think?

• AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 5th Jan 18, 8:25 PM
    • 3,657 Posts
    • 2,877 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:25 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:25 PM
    Sounds iffy to me.

But I have no experience doing this and if Apple themselves have told you this then I can only guess that it's right.
    If you want to be sure, perhaps ask a different Apple employee when the other on isnt around.
    • Cinders2001
    • By Cinders2001 5th Jan 18, 9:07 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    Cinders2001
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:07 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:07 PM
    Sounds iffy to me.

But I have no experience doing this and if Apple themselves have told you this then I can only guess that it's right.
    If you want to be sure, perhaps ask a different Apple employee when the other on isnt around.
    Great minds think alike!
    Just what I was thinking!
    I can't see how the new id is going to be allowed access to info on another id.

I have found a customer services tech support number though just now, so I'll call in the morning. They're closed now but open from 8am to 7:45pm
    I'll let you know what these ones say!
    I'm going to record the call (for personal use) so I can review what I'm told better after.

• Cinders2001
    • By Cinders2001 6th Jan 18, 8:51 AM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    Cinders2001
    Tech Support Dept. number in case anyone else wants it is
    0800 048 0408

Well, I've phoned Apple .... and it all seems fairly straightforward!

If I understood correctly then after the back up to the original Id, then creation of new id, all the data can be retrieved from the cloud via Family Sharing.
    Each iPad associated with that original id has its own 'little folder' in the cloud. And even though we create a new id, we can download it all back on.

Had a 20 min conversation and I'm going to review my audio recording to check the details before going ahead ... in case it gives me more questions I want to ask first.

I'll keep you all informed!

• Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 6th Jan 18, 9:07 AM
    • 825 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    So that means the game scores and levels (two dots) (Minecraft) (Nonograms) (club penguin), will be back to square 1?)
    Originally posted by Cinders2001
    Zero scores!!! Now that's just sickening! I'd be complaining to the International Criminal Court..... let me know how you get on!

Right, now away from 1st world problems life DOES go on.
    • Cinders2001
    • By Cinders2001 6th Jan 18, 2:28 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    Cinders2001
    Zero scores!!! Now that's just sickening! I'd be complaining to the International Criminal Court..... let me know how you get on!

Right, now away from 1st world problems life DOES go on.
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    Yeah, I know! Lol!
    But we First Worlders are in our own little world aren't we!

Actually, if all goes well the scores remain intact!!

• Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 6th Jan 18, 4:24 PM
    • 1,491 Posts
    • 725 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Our two iPhones have an individual Apple ID for iCloud backup and a common ID for app purchases. It’s a standard way of family iPhone (and iPad) use. No problems with this config.

BTW, if you use a common ID for all devices then phone numbers and pictures synchronise across all the devices. Not a problem for your iPhone and iPad, but not recommended for “his and hers” (or family) phones.
    • Cinders2001
    • By Cinders2001 6th Jan 18, 5:42 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    Cinders2001
    Our two iPhones have an individual Apple ID for iCloud backup and a common ID for app purchases. It’s a standard way of family iPhone (and iPad) use. No problems with this config.

BTW, if you use a common ID for all devices then phone numbers and pictures synchronise across all the devices. Not a problem for your iPhone and iPad, but not recommended for “his and hers” (or family) phones.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    Now I'm a tad confused ( not hard!!) !
    So that's two id's?
    One each for iCloud and one one for both for AppStore?
    I just assumed it was one or all separate!

• Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 7th Jan 18, 12:05 AM
    • 1,491 Posts
    • 725 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Now I'm a tad confused ( not hard!!) !
    So that's two id's?
    One each for iCloud and one one for both for AppStore?
    I just assumed it was one or all separate!
    Originally posted by Cinders2001
    One for iTunes and App Store, a different one for iCloud. The first is for purchases and downloads (and would usually be common to family members - means you only buy an app once and share the purchase with every member), the second for your personal data and is the one you would use to find a missing device with !!!8220;find my iPhone!!!8221;.

You see both under settings on an iPhone. Not sure about other Apple devices as we only have iPhones.
    • bm147
    • By bm147 11th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    bm147
    if you remove an apple ID from an iPad or iPhone apps already installed will not be deleted..

All that will happen is, when its time to update the app, as you will be signed in to the app store with another ID, the device will ask you to supply the password associated with the account that initially downloaded the app.

Hope this makes sense, but again, dont panic, it wont delete the apps already installed.

You will lose things like notes etc... however.
    Last edited by bm147; 11-01-2018 at 3:41 PM. Reason: note about notes ;-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

703Posts Today

6,127Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This tweet made me reread my 'How to Vote in the EU referendum' guide - quite interesting to realise how little has? https://t.co/lFQaSSqUGj

• Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Follow Martin