Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rogdog79
    • By Rogdog79 5th Jan 18, 9:48 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Rogdog79
    Swap names on mortgage
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:48 AM
    Swap names on mortgage 5th Jan 18 at 9:48 AM
    Hi guys this one is a big stickler in my house at the mo causing serious headaches so hope anyone can help before I have to splash cash on legal advice....

My partner and her son are both down on her mortgage due to she couldn't get one on her own as self employed so he went on, I at the time couldn't as I had been declined due to previous bankruptcy in 2011. Now it has been 7years this May we are thinking of trying to take her son off the mortgage (cheeky git got equity so getting lots of credit cards and living the highlife) and seeing if I can now get my name or just my income taken into account. I have been building my credit rating up each year by using a credit card spending 1000 and paying it off 100 a month then taking a new and doing same to try help.

Does anyone know if we can do this or be accepted ??

Thanks for reading my troubles have a great day.
Page 1
    • YHM
    • By YHM 5th Jan 18, 9:54 AM
    • 537 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    YHM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:54 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:54 AM
    Sounds straight forward enough.

When were you formally discharged from your bankruptcy?
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
    • Rogdog79
    • By Rogdog79 5th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rogdog79
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    Hi YHM,

I was declared bankrupt in 2011 I do not know the official date for formally discharge, the ex-wife had a nice fire with most of my possession's back then which included all the paperwork of the bankruptcy.

Regards,

Rog
    • zx81
    • By zx81 5th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    • 17,258 Posts
    • 18,350 Thanks
    zx81

I have been building my credit rating up each year by using a credit card spending 1000 and paying it off 100 a month then taking a new and doing same to try help
    Originally posted by Rogdog79
    Try to improve how lenders view you by clearing your card in full each month, or at least as much as you can.
    • YHM
    • By YHM 5th Jan 18, 10:12 AM
    • 537 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    YHM
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:12 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:12 AM
    The discharge is usually 1 year after registration, which would most probably mean you were discharged at some point in 2012 (May I assume).

There are lenders out there that will consider you, but I would recommend finding a good broker that will be conscious of your credit history before they apply to any lenders.
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
    • TrickyDicky101
    • By TrickyDicky101 5th Jan 18, 11:15 AM
    • 3,031 Posts
    • 1,957 Thanks
    TrickyDicky101
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:15 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:15 AM
    Is the son in a lot of debt? Is there equity in the house currently? You need professional advice if so on the implications of such a ToE if you won't be paying market value for his share of the equity (don't know if this is what you were planning).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

229Posts Today

2,190Users online

Martin's Twitter