Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • johnb123
    • By johnb123 5th Jan 18, 8:45 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    johnb123
    Accident repair. Insurance claim or pay myself?
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:45 AM
    Accident repair. Insurance claim or pay myself? 5th Jan 18 at 8:45 AM
    My wife has just had an accident in our car. Not too serious but repairs will cost about 900. I have a 350 excess with my insurance company, plus if I arrange repairs myself a further 200 excess will be payable. Obviously, if I ask the insurance company to arrange repairs I will lose my no-claim bonus plus my premiums will rise in the future. My first question is do I have to inform the insurance company if I go ahead with the repairs? Secondly, if I do contact the company about the accident will this count against me in future premiums, even if I pay for the repairs myself?
    Lastly, considering my position, would you suggest that I go ahead with the repairs myself, or let the insurance company deal with it?
    Many thanks for any help!
Page 1
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 5th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 5,328 Posts
    • 4,512 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    My wife has just had an accident in our car. Not too serious but repairs will cost about 900. I have a 350 excess with my insurance company, plus if I arrange repairs myself a further 200 excess will be payable. Obviously, if I ask the insurance company to arrange repairs I will lose my no-claim bonus plus my premiums will rise in the future. My first question is do I have to inform the insurance company if I go ahead with the repairs? Secondly, if I do contact the company about the accident will this count against me in future premiums, even if I pay for the repairs myself?
    Lastly, considering my position, would you suggest that I go ahead with the repairs myself, or let the insurance company deal with it?
    Many thanks for any help!
    Originally posted by johnb123

I don't understand why would their be two excesses? you either claim or you don't, but you must notify either way, It will count against you for future premiums

I would go through insurance, its what you pay it for
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 5th Jan 18, 9:21 AM
    • 35,864 Posts
    • 20,103 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:21 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:21 AM
    Assuming no third party involved you can keep insurer out of the picture.

You can get a good idea of what a claim will do to future premiums now by doing dummy quotes online with and without the claim in your history (, change NCD too when doing this)

Don't contact your insurer unless you are certain you are going to make a claim as they will record the reported loss on your record. You will then have to disclose it to other insurers you approach for quotes in the future
    • johnb123
    • By johnb123 5th Jan 18, 9:24 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    johnb123
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:24 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:24 AM
    Thanks, Glentoran! My policy says that if I Insist on using an unauthorised repairer then a 200 excess is payable. Presumably this is because that they have contracts with repairers, and the more referrals that they make to them the cheaper the repairs are?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,927Posts Today

9,135Users online

Martin's Twitter