Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 5th Jan 18, 8:33 AM
    • 14,895Posts
    • 142,425Thanks
    mardatha
    HP laptop going dead
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:33 AM
    HP laptop going dead 5th Jan 18 at 8:33 AM
    Laptop is just over 2 years old, was not a cheap model. The last couple of days if I pull out the power cable to take it to another room or anything, the whole thing just goes dead and I have to switch it back on again with the cable in. Right now the battery indicator says 97% plugged in not charging, but it has just gone dead on me again. Is this a dead battery or another problem? TY!
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 5th Jan 18, 8:46 AM
    • 33,196 Posts
    • 39,127 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:46 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:46 AM
    Dead battery
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 5th Jan 18, 8:51 AM
    • 18,783 Posts
    • 12,933 Thanks
    molerat
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:51 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:51 AM
    Most likely the battery. Download this and it will show the status of your battery. 97% of a 100% good battery is fine but 97% of a worn out to 10% of its capacity battery is not a lot of good, the Windows battery utility does not differentiate. https://batterybarpro.com/basic.php

Keeping a laptop constantly running on mains with the battery charged is not good. My Samsung has (had until W10 disabled it ) a utility that stops the battery from fully charging and after 6.5 years of hard daily use it is 25% worn.
    Last edited by molerat; 05-01-2018 at 8:56 AM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 5th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 14,895 Posts
    • 142,425 Thanks
    mardatha
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    Have done that now molerat, says 97% charged and Battery Wear is 0.0% of 18.483 of mWh, does mean anything to you? And ty both!
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 5th Jan 18, 9:12 AM
    • 10,162 Posts
    • 7,597 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:12 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:12 AM
    take battery and mains power off the lappy, and hold down the power button for a good minute. Put mains in, and start the lappy. Let it fully boot up, then shut down lappy, take mains out and re-fit battery. Try and fire it up - does it start and keep running then?
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 5th Jan 18, 9:14 AM
    • 14,895 Posts
    • 142,425 Thanks
    mardatha
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:14 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:14 AM
    O god lol - will get husband to help me with that later on when I get time, thanks GJ.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 7th Jan 18, 11:38 PM
    • 10,162 Posts
    • 7,597 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:38 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:38 PM
    Don't keep us in suspense, what happened??
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Jan 18, 8:46 AM
    • 14,895 Posts
    • 142,425 Thanks
    mardatha
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:46 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:46 AM
    Sorry Well the laptop started giving me a black screen at startup telling me the battery was dead. I went into the HP help site and there was a download thingy there for checking the battery. I did that and it also said the battery was dead. So I'm going to get a new battery and hope that works.
    I hardly ever use it on battery anyway- just the odd time I move it through to the kitchen. And it is on most of the day every day - I'm mainly housebound and spend a lot of time on the couch.
    Many thanks for all help Techies
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 8th Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    • 10,162 Posts
    • 7,597 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    When you get the new battery, charge it then run the lappy on the battery until it's down to 15%-ish capacity then plug back in...cycling the battery charge like that will help with battery life
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 8th Jan 18, 9:28 AM
    • 2,662 Posts
    • 3,406 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Even better since it's an HP. Fully charged battery. Press F2 when booting to go into diagnostics. Select hard drive test and select loop if that option is available. It should run until battery completely flat. If you don't have the loop option then re run the hard disk test until it dies.

Charge up fully. This is the official HP method to calibrate the battery.
    • J B
    • By J B 8th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    • 2,802 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    J B
    When you get the new battery, charge it then run the lappy on the battery until it's down to 15%-ish capacity then plug back in...cycling the battery charge like that will help with battery life
    Originally posted by GunJack
    Hmmm ...
    Last advice that I had on here was that all batteries have X hundred recharges in their capacity and each time you discharge/recharge, one of these 'lives' is used up

• unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 8th Jan 18, 11:01 AM
    • 2,662 Posts
    • 3,406 Thanks
    unforeseen
    You need to do a full cycle with a new battery to calibrate it to enable the pc to know percentage left etc.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Jan 18, 11:29 AM
    • 14,895 Posts
    • 142,425 Thanks
    mardatha
    Will do, thanks everybody
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 8th Jan 18, 11:59 AM
    • 3,039 Posts
    • 2,195 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Make sure your laptop isn't on this list. One of HP's updates disables the battery charging if it is. Good news is if it is they'll give you a free replacement.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3023884/hp-recalls-even-more-laptop-batteries-because-you-know-fire
    • toshi
    • By toshi 8th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    toshi
    HP notebook Battery Safety Recall and Replacement Program
    Make sure your laptop isn't on this list. One of HP's updates disables the battery charging if it is. Good news is if it is they'll give you a free replacement.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3023884/hp-recalls-even-more-laptop-batteries-because-you-know-fire
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Yes, I was going to mention about it, just in case. A genuine battery became dead, it would be possible, but less likely ? Check it out just in case!

https://batteryprogram687.ext.hp.com/
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 14,895 Posts
    • 142,425 Thanks
    mardatha
    Yes I've already done this, thank you. I found it when I was googling for a solution
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 8th Jan 18, 5:25 PM
    • 8,196 Posts
    • 5,946 Thanks
    esuhl
    The best thing to do would be to keep the battery charged to around 65%.

Fully charging or discharging the battery will cause it to degrade faster.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 8th Jan 18, 6:08 PM
    • 3,570 Posts
    • 1,613 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    run the lappy on the battery until it's down to 15%-ish capacity then plug back in...cycling the battery charge like that will help with battery life
    The best thing to do would be to keep the battery charged to around 65%. Fully charging or discharging the battery will cause it to degrade faster.
    Originally posted by esuhl
    Fight! randomtexttosatisfy10charachterresponserequirement
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 9th Jan 18, 6:56 AM
    • 10,162 Posts
    • 7,597 Thanks
    GunJack
    The best thing to do would be to keep the battery charged to around 65%.

Fully charging or discharging the battery will cause it to degrade faster.
    Originally posted by esuhl
    As stated earlier, a new battery pack will benefit from a couple of power cycles

Purremmuuppp!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,200Posts Today

7,596Users online

Martin's Twitter