Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 5th Jan 18, 7:54 AM
    • 780Posts
    • 1,055Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Keeping Money and Family Separate
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:54 AM
    Keeping Money and Family Separate 5th Jan 18 at 7:54 AM
    It is often said that Money and Family shouldn't mix....but in reality are you ever able to completely separate the two, especially if there are discrepancies of wealth within the family?

This can manifest itself in subtle ways.....meals out, lifts out and about, generally being expected to pay for/do things.

As we've read, it can also manifest itself in less subtle ways.....the biggy being disinherited.

How do you keep finances out of family affairs? Or do you think you shouldn't, and that you should distribute your wealth to them, without question?
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
Page 3
    • Lover of Lycra
    • By Lover of Lycra 7th Jan 18, 10:28 AM
    • 163 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    Lover of Lycra
    But you dont need to take responsibility for everything - I mean, don't be the designated driver, get a taxi or have a drink and relax - I mean they are all adults and should be able to get themselves home safely. It is not your problem who enjoys themselves and who doesnt
    Originally posted by ska lover
    You are absolutely right, I shouldn't take responsibility for everything. I do it to keep the peace. If my parents want my brother's family to be involved then someone else has to foot the bill. They are genuinely rubbish with money. My parents are forever paying for things that as adults they should be paying for themselves such as carpets (the HA flat they rent had bare floorboard when they moved in), furniture for the children's bedrooms, a new washing machine, the list goes on. My mum's rationale is that she does it for their children because she wants them to be warm at night and go to school with clean clothes. Dad says they can't keep subsidising them but they will because they don't want their grandchildren going without.

My brother once made some comment about his inheritance to which mum replied, "what inheritance? You'll have spent long before we die."

If it bothers you enough that you subsidise your family's expensive eating & drinking habits, say 'no' to their restaurant suggestions.
    And tell them you'll pay for what you eat & drink.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Then my brother's family won't come and I think that would upset my parents for certain events. When my parents are no longer here my brother will be getting jackshit off me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,577Posts Today

7,636Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin