Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 5th Jan 18, 5:39 AM
    • 1,446Posts
    • 15,415Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    O/S Daily Friday 5th January 2018
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:39 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 5th January 2018 5th Jan 18 at 5:39 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 2
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 5th Jan 18, 11:59 AM
    • 1,638 Posts
    • 19,595 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Morning (just).

I have done 3 loads of washing and two symphonies worth of ironing. I can't face any more horrible housework.

Nmlc, glad to read that your mum is picking up a bit. TA it isn't the end of the world if you don't get the house cleaned and you'd only have to do it all over again once you feel better. Gintot, my sympathies, horrid for you.
    Speky I like a beard to look at but how can I put this politely? Not to kiss. Too scratchy for my very sensitive skin.

I think I have earned a cup of tea.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 5th Jan 18, 12:28 PM
    • 3,693 Posts
    • 46,285 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Just popped back to say I like a man with facial hair, CHS sometimes has a beard or tash, sometimes neither.
    Last edited by Hard Up Hester; 05-01-2018 at 4:35 PM.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • dp1
    • By dp1 5th Jan 18, 1:28 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 2,259 Thanks
    dp1
    Hi everyone
    Had a busy morning cleaning bedrooms and changing beds....raining though so washing hanging on airers. Been down to do my dad's banking for him. Phoned Sky for him yesterday and managed to get his broadband and line rental reduced by £9 a month for the next 12 months, so he was happy with that.
    Missing eldest DD a lot...house is too quiet! She'll be home for the weekend at Easter....12 weeks away!
    Spent ages on TripAdvisor yesterday and booked a really nice hotel for when I go to Majorca in April. My original plan was to stay in Palma but the hotels are pricey and I can get a far nicer hotel half board for less than I would pay for just a room in a BB type place....so staying in a place called Can Pastilla which is just a 15 minute bus ride to Palma.
    Well I've dishes to do and a bed to make up....then a parcel from Amazon to open with new books in it,,,,so that's my afternoon sorted. After Xmas I ordered a book from Amazon, then realised I already had it....though with a different cover! I went online to do a return and they said they would refund the book but I didn't need to send it back. Thought that was very strange....its in a bag to go to the charity shop.
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 5th Jan 18, 3:13 PM
    • 968 Posts
    • 12,668 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Afternoon all. Thanks for your good wishes. Still hard to post on kindle. Hugs all round.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 5th Jan 18, 3:32 PM
    • 15,972 Posts
    • 135,548 Thanks
    JackieO
    Gintot just read what happened to you ,that's awful. I'm so sorry what a rotten start to the New Year, I hope you're insured ,although sometimes things are irreplaceable
    I have been burgled once ,but luckily we were away at the time .My two DDs were only 6 & 8 at the time, and they even broke their money boxes and took the kids tiny savings

My youngest was is a dreadful state afterwards and used to wake up during the night for ages afterwards and wake me up, and I had to go with her to look and assure her that the bad men wern't under her bed hiding for weeks after.

Little swines I know what I would do given the chance and its not very ladylike either .

Watched the news and saw that New York its -12c at the moment and they are having dreadful weather My DGS Danny and his wife were due to fly to the Virgin Islands on hoiday today, and its been cancelled as all the flights out are grounded because of snow. He is really fed up bless him as it would be their first holiday this year and they had been so looking forward to it. Often we get the U.S.Weather about a week later so maybe it will cross the pond to us by next weekend !!!I do hope not as I hate snow and ice as I am confined to the house ,no point breaking something at my age I am not a feeble and I certainly don't bounce backup

Just had a nice cuppa and got my feet up with the last bit of Christmas cake to eat
    JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 June spends so far £18.90, brought a few odds and ends home from my holiday and using those up first.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 5th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    • 16,244 Posts
    • 71,124 Thanks
    Judi
    Beards...not my pleasure. Have a read of this from Edward Lear.
    Eww, eww and more eww. Thow in the mix half a bacon sandwich and a packet of crisps and thats hygiene out the window. That is of course, if it isnt regularly maintained.

I'd like to take my chances though if the man was right.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 5th Jan 18, 8:13 PM
    • 4,021 Posts
    • 27,915 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    Dp1 we stayed in C'an Pastilla many many years ago. Hotel Sol if I remember rightly. It was a pleasant enough resort at the time with a lovely beach - but quite near the airport!! Regular bus service into Palma but a nice walk along the coast too which takes rather longer!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • karcher
    • By karcher 5th Jan 18, 9:21 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    karcher

Cracked on well with the paper mountain too and sorted some niggly jobs. Managed to get Dads credit card cancelled at last with a well placed complaint to the bank. It really was bad for mum to keep getting mail about it having a credit on that he should spend Anyway they have assured me its cancelled and the credit from Dads car insurance returned to mums account. I rang her to tell her she was over £500 richer from this weeks work ....her comment "I don't care its only money means nothing to me " Great so all these hours have been for nothing then ...so frustrating.
    Originally posted by Nelski
    The sad thing is Nelski, she probably does appreciate it but has no idea how to express it until it's too late

((hugs)) if you want them. I feel for you, I really do xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,632Posts Today

9,199Users online

Martin's Twitter