Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CompairHolman
    • By CompairHolman 5th Jan 18, 1:13 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    CompairHolman
    Care home funding
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:13 AM
    Care home funding 5th Jan 18 at 1:13 AM
    My mum needs to move to a care home because of dementia, she owns a 400,000 house so no council funding, rental on the house would only be 1000 pcm while the care home is near that per week !

Is our only option to sell the house to fund the care ?
Page 1
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 5th Jan 18, 2:12 AM
    • 3,352 Posts
    • 3,585 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:12 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:12 AM
    Before considering being a landlord or rather your Mum, do you know the what rules a landlord must follow and tenants rights?
    • Robinette
    • By Robinette 5th Jan 18, 8:13 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    Robinette
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:13 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:13 AM
    Have you checked whether your mother is eligible for continuing health care (CHC), funded nursing care (FNC) and/or Attendance Allowance (AA)? None of these are means tested.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 5th Jan 18, 8:51 AM
    • 4,280 Posts
    • 9,650 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:51 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:51 AM
    Before considering being a landlord or rather your Mum, do you know the what rules a landlord must follow and tenants rights?
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    Reads like that is irrelevant as the rental revenue would only cover a small percentage of the fees. I'd imagine they'd have started a different thread if they had questions about becoming a landlord though

To CompairHolman unless your mother has other income e.g. pension that would cover the shortfall between projected rental and the fees, or you / other family members are willing to pay yourselves, selling it looks like the only option. Having been through this with family, it's not likely your mum will need the house any more.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 5th Jan 18, 8:59 AM
    • 5,094 Posts
    • 5,679 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:59 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:59 AM
    My mum needs to move to a care home because of dementia, she owns a 400,000 house so no council funding, rental on the house would only be 1000 pcm while the care home is near that per week !

Is our only option to sell the house to fund the care ?
    Originally posted by CompairHolman
    It is probably the best option, you have enough worry on your plate without the hassle of becoming a landlord. Do you have power of attorney for her?
    • Morglin
    • By Morglin 5th Jan 18, 9:08 AM
    • 14,655 Posts
    • 26,965 Thanks
    Morglin
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:08 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:08 AM
    I had the same issue, but sold the house to pay my Dads care home funding, as his home charge 1600 per week to self funders (London prices, with complex needs).

I didn!!!8217;t want to get into being a landlady - too much hassle for me.

However, the NHS have decided he is entitled to full Continuous Care Funding, so we!!!8217;re not paying anything at the moment, and have invested the money in case things change.

I would check to see if your mum is eligible for NHS funding, which is based on medical need and not savings or income. It!!!8217;s very difficult to get though.

Lin !!!65533;!!!65533;
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 5th Jan 18, 10:22 AM
    • 14,049 Posts
    • 26,882 Thanks
    onlyroz
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:22 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:22 AM
    Make sure that your mum is claiming everything that she is entitled to claim. However, if she is going into a home then she won!!!8217;t need the house any more and so what!!!8217;s is the issue with selling it? Being a landlord under such circumstances seems like more stress than it is worth.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 5th Jan 18, 12:54 PM
    • 20,161 Posts
    • 33,392 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:54 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:54 PM
    Yes, pretty much it is the only option. My parents couldn't afford my Grandmother's fees (around 500 per week, we live in the cheaper North). They are pensioners themselves. I couldn't afford to pay it, I have 2 children still in education to support. No other family member to help out. Gran didn't have enough savings to self support for long, next month she'll have been there for 3 years (dementia). Rental wouldn't have been enough to pay the fees, or to support her savings given the now length of time she's been there. Selling the property she owned was the only option.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 5th Jan 18, 4:09 PM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 2,305 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:09 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:09 PM
    Almost everyone needing to be in a care home is entitled to highest rate attendance allowance, which helps eke out any savings/house sale money. I am not saying this to preserve inheritance, but because it amazing how fast 50k can disappear into funding this.

I do hope you have a power of attorney or selling the property could difficult/expensive to arrange.
    • betsie
    • By betsie 5th Jan 18, 6:58 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    betsie
    I would sell. It's stressful renting and you might have gaps when the house Is Empty, repairs etc. as someone else said make sure you are claiming highest attendance allowance. I had the same with my mum, I put some of her money in premium bonds, I also prepaid 5k for a funeral plan.
    Make sure you have health and finances power of attorney in place you can do them online and get someone she knows well to witness them. Do this ASAP also get yourself on all her bank accounts it makes life so much easier when paying for fees etc.
    good luck it is such a hard time but once she is in the home and settled you will feel relieved as she will be safe.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

229Posts Today

2,190Users online

Martin's Twitter