Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 5th Jan 18, 12:39 AM
    • 5,411Posts
    • 7,584Thanks
    deannatrois
    Quadrivalent Flu Jab works but can't get it in UK?
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:39 AM
    Quadrivalent Flu Jab works but can't get it in UK? 5th Jan 18 at 12:39 AM
    OK I am one of those people who are vulnerable to flu (asthma, heart problems, diabetes all in one package lol). I know the trivalent flu jab available on the NHS is useless against the nasty type B Australian flu going round at the moment (basically there were two type B's they could have put in the vaccine, they put the other one, and two type A ).

There is a Quadrivalent flu jab which contains two type A and both type B, so more broadly protective. You can get it in the US but I can't find any way to get it here. I don't know if its even licensed for here, can't find much on google for UK use. Does anyone in the UK know if it is available here at all? It just doesn't make sense to me, saving a few pence on a vaccine and then having the hospital overcrowding problems and chaos we are having now?

If what I have said doesn't make sense, this might clarify https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/quadrivalent.htm. Yep its US based. Makes me ashamed to be British at times that we can't even begin to look at things like this in a practical way.

No, I can't afford to travel to the US lolol. I am happy to pay for a more effective jab but that would be way above my income lol.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 05-01-2018 at 12:42 AM.
Page 1
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 5th Jan 18, 12:43 AM
    • 9,044 Posts
    • 5,392 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:43 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:43 AM
    According to the media it will be used here for the next 'flu season'.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 5th Jan 18, 12:50 AM
    • 5,411 Posts
    • 7,584 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:50 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:50 AM
    Hmmm so helpful now lol. I don't understand how when the UK knew the Aussie flu was on its way months ago.., there WAS time to get this vaccine but they didn't. They must have known the expense and chaos of hospital admissions/treatment. If its available in the US, we could have gotten it here. Instead of the cheaper one that covers hardly any of the flu viri that are actually around.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 5th Jan 18, 11:14 AM
    • 7,379 Posts
    • 10,649 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:14 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:14 AM
    Quad flu jabs are not mainstream here and are very new even in the USA.

The strains of flu in the Triple vaccine are decided months in advance. I'm not sure if the Australian flu was a problem when that decision was made.

It is a downside of the current flu jab and i know last year it was very ineffective in some groups.

Perhaps lessons will be learned and the Quad vaccine will be widely available next flu season.

Also some good news is research progresses, there are trials of a flu vaccine which attacks the core of all strains which would mean high effective rates, even being jabbed less often has been mooted.

Still a few years away yet but it's coming.

OP if you are very concerned for yourself now I would approach GP. Quad flu vaccines are available just not widely used here.
    Last edited by KxMx; 05-01-2018 at 12:05 PM.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 5th Jan 18, 12:38 PM
    • 2,662 Posts
    • 3,406 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:38 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:38 PM
    Surely even quad vaccines suffer the same problem as triples? Somebody has to make a decision on its content well in advance. It doesn't solve any problems.
    Maybe in the US Aussie flu was assessed as a good choice to include based on analysis in THAT country, UK thought different based on their analysis
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 5th Jan 18, 5:49 PM
    • 7,379 Posts
    • 10,649 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:49 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:49 PM
    The Tri vaccine allows for one B strain whereas the Quad allows for 2.

B flu has changed very little since the 70s, one strain moved slowly into the 2 currently circulating. Both of which are covered by the Quad vaccine. This offers much better protection that the Tri vaccine which has to pick one. Not perfect of course, a third strain or severe mutation could occur.

A strains generally are to be worried about more because they cause pandemics, but it seems this year a B strain is particularly nasty.
    Last edited by KxMx; 05-01-2018 at 6:01 PM.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 5th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    • 9,044 Posts
    • 5,392 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    I remember our former vet saying that she thought that kennel cough jabs were pointless for dogs (though boarding kennels insist on them), as it comes in so many strains , varying by location, so making the chances of having the correct version very slim.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 6th Jan 18, 6:17 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,155 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:17 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:17 PM
    From what I am reading on the net its the Fluad/Agrippal vaccine which is better than the utterly useless flu jab my surgery gave me a few weeks ago for someone who is over 65. The NHS flu vaccine has been proven to have no effect on the "elderly " over 65 s. These are the biggest risk group for a dose of killer aussie flu which is now all over the UK.
    The Fluad version boosts the immune system which is likely to be much lower in the elderly and works much better.
    Its the Aussie strain, the H3N2, which is the most worrying and my hometown (Doncaster ) is a UK hotspot. Only 8 known cases ,but I know how the Hong Kong flu in 1968 took off and killed 30,000 in the UK.
    I caught it in 1968 and dont want it again.
    That is the only time In my life I have had flu..I never claim "man flu " knowing how bad that true flu is
    I`m in the process of ordering the Fluad version
    .Not sure if the ones that Tesco Pharmacy are using are the Fluad version.
    Tescos charge 10 for their vaccination against flu
    Last edited by House Martin; 07-01-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    • Ben84
    • By Ben84 6th Jan 18, 8:57 PM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 3,616 Thanks
    Ben84
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:57 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:57 PM
    On a related, but different angle, I've got in the habit after a few bad colds of washing my hands after I've been on public transport and things. Sounds a bit OCD, but actually the surfaces of buses and trains must be handled by many people every day and who knows how often they get cleaned? It's just standard habit now, soon as I arrive at work I wash my hands, same when I get home. Have had a lot less colds since this, so it may be helping. It certainly doesn't hurt to do it.
    • savingfortomorrow
    • By savingfortomorrow 7th Jan 18, 12:04 AM
    • 508 Posts
    • 3,516 Thanks
    savingfortomorrow
    Quadrivalent Influenza Vaccine split virion, inactivated available in EU. it is really cheap and a potential option.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 21st Jan 18, 1:18 PM
    • 7,712 Posts
    • 3,764 Thanks
    Stompa
    Quadrivalent Influenza Vaccine split virion, inactivated available in EU. it is really cheap and a potential option.
    Originally posted by savingfortomorrow
    That's the one I received from my GP back in September.
    Stompa
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 21st Jan 18, 7:43 PM
    • 16,716 Posts
    • 281,723 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    On a related, but different angle, I've got in the habit after a few bad colds of washing my hands after I've been on public transport and things. Sounds a bit OCD, but actually the surfaces of buses and trains must be handled by many people every day and who knows how often they get cleaned? It's just standard habit now, soon as I arrive at work I wash my hands, same when I get home. Have had a lot less colds since this, so it may be helping. It certainly doesn't hurt to do it.
    Originally posted by Ben84
    I stopped intentionally touching any surfaces on the bus after I saw someone with a severe ear infection stick her finger in her ear to scratch it and then use the same finger to press the bell people are truly filthy on the bus

To me, not touching anything on the bus is perfectly normal. I use a piece of paper or tissue to press the bell for my stop if no one else has done so and i have perfected the art of bus surfing. If I *have* to touch anything on the bus then im using the anti bac gel in my bag or pocket until I can use soap and water.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 21st Jan 18, 8:06 PM
    • 2,662 Posts
    • 3,406 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Do you have a tinfoil hat as well?

How do you cope in shops where people have picked things off the shelf and then replaced them? What about the shop staff that put them out in the first place. And what about all those coins that have been handled by God knows how many people?

OMG it's just not safe to leave your isolation bubble these days
    Last edited by unforeseen; 21-01-2018 at 8:09 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,658Posts Today

9,394Users online

Martin's Twitter