Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 4th Jan 18, 10:30 PM
    • 153Posts
    • 749Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    New life. Here we go.....
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:30 PM
    New life. Here we go..... 4th Jan 18 at 10:30 PM
    Right then! New year. New house. New county. New driver. New (to me) car. New log burner (ch'yeah we got it!!). New Mortgage. New life. Here we go........

Hi! Thanks for popping in. Please feel free to post here and ask questions.
    Last edited by Elephantchunks; 13-06-2019 at 6:36 PM.
    Live a lot. Love a few. Always paddle your own canoe.
    Electrics re-wire savings
    Oct - May - £800/£3000. June £1389/£3000
Page 3
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 10th Jun 19, 9:34 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Looong day at work today so tea was beans on toast.. I'm keeping Weetabiks at work and bread & peanut butter so I had a NSD but not the healthiest. DH buys lunch with his tips so I count this as NSD for him too.

So here's the short term plan...

I get paid monthly so my wages have paid the monthly bills and loan. DH gets paid weekly, he has £80 left from last week so he will pay today's wages £330 into his bank tomorrow towards savings, leaving £30 for petrol & £50 for food etc. infact as we had a NSD today I'll take £5 out of food and add this to savings too £335 + £800 = £1135. Lets see how this works for now, if we pay it in we wont see money in the wallet and think we have it to spend. Back to basics and remembering how we used to save so well.

Other than work, making beans on toast and watering our seedlings I've done nothing else as it's Pyjama Monday. Ooh our seedlings - DH, lodger & I planted our first seeds ever yesterday and are having a race. We planted them into pots in the greenhouse - mint, basil, basil lime, lavendar, strawberries, borage, cucumber, and lots of chilies. Roll on cocktail season then jam season
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 11th Jun 19, 9:26 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Spent £16 food money on a round of drinks today and the inlaws bought dinner so £29 left for the week.

DH promises he'll pay his wages in tomorrow *rolls eyes*

Anyway - Eep! We've got free tickets to go and see our favourite comedians perform a live show. We're so excited!! Small problem - it's in London in two weeks time. We found a hotel close by for £86 and train tickets for £44 for the two of us. So tonight we have emptied and counted the change vase. DH doesn't put change in his wallet, he puts it in his pockets and it spills on the bedroom floor then we chuck it in the change vase. We've been collecting for a year and it was full to the brim. We've counted £95. I went on to TCB to get money back from the hotel booking and found £31 payable on there, win! So I feel like we have free tickets, free hotel, and free travel Yay free date night !
    Last edited by Elephantchunks; 11-06-2019 at 9:48 PM.
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 13th Jun 19, 7:15 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    My contact lenses arrived today and I only ordered them yesterday. Was paying £12 a month with a high street opticians who recently did a test and wanted to prescribe me with £17 a month lenses which I trialed and were better. I wanted to see if I could get them cheaper online but had to call them to ask what they had prescribed (slightly embarrassing because they knew I was looking elsewhere). Well it was worth the embarrassment as I found them for the equivalent of £9 a month minus £4ish from TCB. £100 saved per year. Win!
    Also received today- bulk smoking papers (I know it's not MSE but) £98 saved per year.
    & we're smoking tobacco purchased in duty free so £62 saved. (also not MSE but is).
    I had a nice trip in a colleagues hybrid car today, 4 people carsharing to the city for a meeting so very low carbon footprint day today
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 14th Jun 19, 9:30 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Paid our £95 vase change into the bank today They weren't too pleased that I had more than the 5 bags of money allowed at a time, so next time I'll go 3 days in a row and see if they prefer that??
    DH has paid his wages in, we've agreed that he'll pay them into his bank every Tuesday minus the weekly budgeted spending money. This seems like the simplest way of us saving for now. We've not got pots like we used to - like 'car maintenance' 'birthday' because we just need to save ASAP and be sensible. If we NEED anything it will just come out of our electrics savings. I will be recording what comes out of this from now on though so we have some clue where it has gone. Keeping it simple!

DH has purchased £5 sports to watch Le Mans but paid with his ebsy money, he's still buying & selling on there but it's more of a hobby now as he enjoys his job and he's selling something different than when he did it as a business so he's more interested in what he sells now.

£10 left in food budget until Monday so we should be ok.
    We're shopping every few days at the moment as we ate all the freezer food ready for an electrician to come 2 weeks ago to do phase one of electrics but he's been putting us off since then. I dislike shopping and miss the freezer, I'm happy when I can do one monthly shop, not so when we have to do 3 a week. Hopefully he'll come soon!
    Last edited by Elephantchunks; 14-06-2019 at 9:51 PM.
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 23rd Jun 19, 7:22 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    This weekly budget thing is going OK. Both weeks so far we have bought an extra £30 petrol on the card due to visiting family and friends an hour away a few times and our usual Sunday trips out to the surrounding villages. I'm surprised at how much fuel we use but at least now I can see where some of our cash is going.

To save some petrol today we visited our local town and did a bit of charity shopping. £15 spent on 5 pieces of glass worth £55. Unfortunately we like them so they wont be going on ebsy yet (which was the plan). Maybe they'll go in our future dream antique shop. Either way I totally think they should come back into fashion so hopefully they'll be worth more when we do want to sell them, let us call it an investment. edit: I have just created an antique investment spreadsheet

Hopefully at the end of the month we will have saved an extra £650 towards our re-wire. The budget at the beginning of the month showed £750 but we hadn't budgeted for fun money. We will budget for some monthly fun money next month so that we are being more realistic and aren't disheartened when we have actually done well. Fun money will have to include extra petrol for fun/visiting too. I'm just not sure if we should do a weekly or monthly fun budget? We'll try monthly and see if we can be adult enough to make it last
    Last edited by Elephantchunks; 23-06-2019 at 7:29 PM.
    • greent
    • By greent 24th Jun 19, 1:57 PM
    • 8,190 Posts
    • 83,200 Thanks
    greent
    Hello and welcome back! Just a quick post from me - lodger sounds good, free date night even better - and you have a plan!

Glad to see you back
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £3757/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £518.64/£500
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 25th Jun 19, 9:56 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Thanks Greent!

Yes the lodger is great, lived with us a few times and has been our best friend for 15/20 years. I don't think I could live with anyone else. The extra £300 is such a big help but I don't know where it's gone this past year, that's OK, I'm back and we sure do have a plan!
    Thanks to MSE I received a free coupon today for a box of tea worth £2.71
    DH offered to put a locals new bed together today. They offered him £20. He accepted £10 after trying to do it for free.

DH has paid £250 wages in today and we've kept £100 back for the weeks spending. He did a day of overtime last week so more £££. Just waiting for the rent & my wages on Friday so I can move the savings to a new 5% bank account I opened today.

I've just been super inspired by someone else's diary! He's paid off his mortgage and is working towards financial freedom. Although I love my job and can't see that I'd ever want to retire early, I love the idea of having options in later life. I guess with what we have done from 2012-2017 was give us the option to move to a town that we love and find jobs that aren't amazing pay but which we also love. In 1 1/2 years time we can start saving/OPing for future further options and freedoms. In the meantime we're going to make this house worth much more than we paid for it and pay off that pesky loan.
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 27th Jun 19, 11:13 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Sunshine!!! I've had such a lovely day off today. I spent the entire day in the garden, weeding the patio, weeding the flower beds and repotting cucumber, borage, lavendar and basil lime. My breaks consisted of drinking tea, watching the fish and dragonfly and reading 'Get your s**t togethr. I love a good self help book, I acquired this for free, didn't think I really needed it but the pages on procrastination REALLY worked for keeping me busy at least for today. I didn't enjoy weeding the patio but I had to keep repeating that A) I'm saving money by not paying a gardener B) I'll enjoy it once it's done. Which I did by eating our dinner out on the patio
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 28th Jun 19, 8:43 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Pay day, Mortgage day, Shuffle day. YAY!
    And the scores on the doors are as follows:
    Bills Account -1036
    Groceries -200
    Petrol -120
    Extra Petrol -60 (for visiting people/places & fun)
    Loan -387 (below £7000 square coloured in)
    Smokes -64
    Charity glass -15
    London Hotel -86 (paid for by change vase)
    Train to London -44 (paid for by TCB)
    Contact lens -40.6 (3 mnth worth + years worth of cleaner
    Bulk Papers -22.50 (years worth)
    Extra gas/elect -178 (changed supplier so had to pay difference - need to check if this was correct)
    = -£2253

Our wages £2406
    Rent 300
    DH fixed bed 10
    Change Vase 95
    TCB 31
    = £2842
    Difference = £589 saved in June
    (moved this to 5% saver & shuffled £1000 back & forth to get a smidgen of interest)

Good times! Happy with that!! Shame about the unexpected energy bill but glad to be keeping my eye on the ball again! Still got £30 to last the weekend.
    Also, today I've coloured in another hot pink house square for £35000 equity
    Last edited by Elephantchunks; 28-06-2019 at 9:48 PM.
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 1st Jul 19, 6:44 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Yesterday was awesome!

After contemplating joining the 'make £10 a day' thread, I thought about how I can make some extra cash. I'm not joining because I don't have a target other than to make as much as I can.

Well, I believe you've got to speculate to accumulate. So, DH & I went to 2x bootsales and purchased lots of fantastic items to hopefully sell on ebsy. We used his paypal money from his previous sales.

I spent £30 and hope to achieve at least £90, max. £130 I listed 10 items including the glass I purchased last week, 4x more to list. It's mostly glass, clothes and vintage items. Everything I purchased will at least double up after fees. Pleased with that! I should have 3x more than I had before speculating. Or 2x in my case because I need to pay DH the £30 back.

DH spent £108 and hopes to achieve £225. Although, he did purchase a piece of glass which isn't included in this figure, she wanted £8 and he haggled it down to £6 (which baffled me because he didn't haggle on the £50 & £40 items!), anyway, it turns out that this piece of beautiful glass is from 1890 and is very rare and worth £90 -£120, maybe more so more investigating is required whilst we gaze at it's splendor for a little while longer.

We both have so much fun treasure hunting together then coming home and spending the rest of the day researching and listing, it's a fabulous hobby we share together with the added bonus of more £££ not less
    Last edited by Elephantchunks; 01-07-2019 at 7:01 PM.
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 8th Jul 19, 7:11 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Less money saving, more money making last week.

No Money Saving - We went to London so saved nothing but had a thoroughly fantastic mini break. We watched a televised comedy show which made our jaws ache! We saw all the main sights, had a few drinks (one on the Thames), ate lots and visited 2 museums all in 2 days.

Money Making - Another successful boot sale yesterday!
    I spent £14.50 and hope to achieve £79. Ten items purchased for 50p - £3, all worth more than double, 2 items worth £10/£15 and one that I have on auction for £20 but am hoping it might get to £40. All glass this time and no clothes.
    DH spent £67.50 and hopes to get £337 (wow!) after he takes out the bits he wants to keep (again), oh well, at least we might have enough stock to open a shop one day or he'll use it as a pension as he has never paid into one (I know! I know he should!). Once again 1 item purchased for £3 and worth £75+, I wish I'd have spotted it! The guy looked like a dealer so I skipped that table, it turns out he was just emptying a house he has just moved into. What a mistake to make! DH has made his money back for last week. So far he's spent £183 and has made £124
    So far I've made £36 so have paid DH back £30 and now owe him £8.50. I'm looking forward to having my own pot of speculating money soon. I may revise my BIN prices next week as some are priced at the top end of sold prices, unless they sell before then of course.
    Eek, this is fun but I do have my saving head back on this week.
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 18th Jul 19, 5:54 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Well, not much to post really, I've not been tracking anything since we went to London, I was burying my head (again) and haven't looked at the bank account until yesterday. We spent more than I thought but we won't be having a holiday this year so I spose it's OK, we did have an awesome time with some great memories. Not sure about saving anything this month, our drains are blocked which will cost us £130 and the mini tractor/lawn mower is broke so we need someone to come and look at it. I'm just glad we have the money to afford those things and still get to live in this beautiful place.

Mekkin Mular - Spent £26 at this weeks bootsale and will list these items for £102. £56 made so far but I have lots of last weeks and the weeks before items to list and I've dropped a few of my prices to be average instead of high. I've gone halves on a light box £10each, which we received today so I'm basically on here to promise to (try to) list 8 items this evening, There! I wrote it! I best go and work (more)...
    • LeighofMar
    • By LeighofMar 18th Jul 19, 7:11 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    LeighofMar
    Your London trip sounds fantastic. So glad you had a good time. And you guys definitely sound like future antique shop owners. How nice would that be. We love to go to antique shops too but just to furnish our house to try to make it more cottagy, authentic period/vintage since that's our style.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,249Posts Today

7,601Users online

Martin's Twitter