Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kitkatt1982
    • By kitkatt1982 4th Jan 18, 10:31 PM
    • 106Posts
    • 48Thanks
    kitkatt1982
    Power of Attorney Advice
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:31 PM
    Power of Attorney Advice 4th Jan 18 at 10:31 PM
    Hi, sorry if Iím in the wrong place but couldnít find a more appropriate board, Iím hoping someone can help me with registering a power of attorney please?
    My elderly grandmother has decided that she would like me to register her power of attorney (it was made in 2006 so is an enduring one rather than a lasting one). My father and I are listed as her attorneys. When we originally set it up, I was listed in my maiden name so would I need to send my marriage certificate with it to register it or provide that when registering with the bank / GP etc?
    Also, I see that I need to notify 3 relatives, both my father and I are only children so next in line would be my grandmotherís nieces and nephews of which it says you have to inform everyone within that category. Three we are close to, two live abroad and she hasnít had contact with them for many years. Would they also need to be notified?
    Thanks for any help
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 5th Jan 18, 12:19 AM
    • 25,599 Posts
    • 15,130 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:19 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:19 AM
    You have seen this?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/register-an-enduring-power-of-attorney

You and your father each count as one "advisee" but since the next category is the nephews and nieces you can't notify just one.

If one person in a particular category is notified of the
    application, then everyone in that category must be notified.

It would be advisable to get a certified copy of your marriage certificate and enclose it with the forms.
    • DavidFx
    • By DavidFx 5th Jan 18, 1:07 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    DavidFx
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:07 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:07 PM
    I would consider using a Lasting Power of Attorney. There is no requirement to notify any relations. It can be done online and the whole process is very simple. You will need a 'certificate provider' - a non-relative who knows your grandmother and signs to confirm that she understands and consents to what she is doing. There are two types financial/property and welfare/health and the cost is £82 each.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 5th Jan 18, 1:43 PM
    • 5,111 Posts
    • 5,695 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:43 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:43 PM
    I would consider using a Lasting Power of Attorney. There is no requirement to notify any relations. It can be done online and the whole process is very simple. You will need a 'certificate provider' - a non-relative who knows your grandmother and signs to confirm that she understands and consents to what she is doing. There are two types financial/property and welfare/health and the cost is £82 each.
    Originally posted by DavidFx
    I would second that, it sounds like you GM still has the mental capacity to do so. LPAs somewhat more flexible than EPA, in that they can be registered before the donor loses capacity manage their own affairs.
    • kitkatt1982
    • By kitkatt1982 5th Jan 18, 9:34 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    kitkatt1982
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:34 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:34 PM
    Thankyou :-) I know we are supposed to notify al in the category but wondered if this still applied for the 2/5 who sheís not in contact with. I thought about doing an LPA but not sure she would currently be classed as mentally capable since sheís in hospital following a stroke and quite confused (this has pushed me into action but it had been discussed a few months ago).
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 6th Jan 18, 12:16 AM
    • 25,599 Posts
    • 15,130 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 6th Jan 18, 12:16 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 12:16 AM
    You have an EPA.

When should an Enduring Power of Attorney be registered
    and by whom?
    The Attorney is the person responsible for registering the EPA.
    This is because the EPA is only registered when the Attorney
    believes that the Donor is becoming or has become mentally
    incapable of handling his or her own affairs.

Is this your belief?

If so, you need to register and follow the rules set out in the booklet registered above.
    • LHW99
    • By LHW99 6th Jan 18, 1:52 PM
    • 1,325 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    LHW99
    • 6th Jan 18, 1:52 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 1:52 PM
    See if the doctors think your grandmother's confusion is a temporary effect of the stroke and could improve if her general health improves, particularly if she is able to return home with "at home" help. Elderly people often don't react well to changes in environment, particularly if they are also ill.
    Unless there is an urgent need to access her funds for care, it probably wouldn't hurt to wait a couple of weeks before making the decision. My mother had an EPA, and then suffered a stroke, but in the end the EPA was not triggered as there was no over-riding need to do so, as all the bills could be paid.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

725Posts Today

6,370Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This tweet made me reread my 'How to Vote in the EU referendum' guide - quite interesting to realise how little has? https://t.co/lFQaSSqUGj

• Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Follow Martin