Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kestril
    • By Kestril 4th Jan 18, 9:38 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Kestril
    Applying for credit twice in a short space of time
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:38 PM
    Applying for credit twice in a short space of time 4th Jan 18 at 9:38 PM
    Hi MSE Forum,

Long time user of the site but wouldn't mind your opinion on an issue i'm facing.
    I'm 27, never owned a credit card but pay off multiple direct debits a month without defaulting and have recently payed off a 4,000 car loan from my bank over 3 years without default.

So,

-I require a credit card by the latest mid april for a holiday which includes a car rental.

-I am also looking to purchase a new car in the region of 10,000 fairly soon on credit or a loan.

I feel the most logical solution would be to combine the two and get a 0% money transfer card and buy the car using this (paying the 3% transfer fee). The only problem is i don;t think I'll get the full 10,000 credit therefore will need another car loan to pay the remainder.

Another option is to just get the same car loan again from my bank for 10,000 this time and then just get a different credit card with better perks.

In both cases I will be applying for a credit card and a car loan in a short space of time.

My question is, will either application affect the other, and which order should I perform them?

Thanks in advance

Kestril
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 4th Jan 18, 9:41 PM
    • 1,314 Posts
    • 761 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:41 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:41 PM
    It's unlikely you'll get 10k on a first time card.

Get the car loan first if that's the priority.

Then look to apply for a card after to improve your credit worthiness
    • venison
    • By venison 4th Jan 18, 10:54 PM
    • 2,171 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    venison
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:54 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:54 PM
    Do you really have to pay 10k for a car? Just asking
    Ex Board Guide
    • Kestril
    • By Kestril 4th Jan 18, 11:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kestril
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:28 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:28 PM
    'It's unlikely you'll get 10k on a first time card.

Get the car loan first if that's the priority.

Then look to apply for a card after to improve your credit worthiness'

Thanks - My only reservations regarding this is for the card application to be declined as I've recently taken a loan out. I wouldn't need a high credit limit on the card once I have the loan however so I guess that would work in my favour!
    Last edited by Kestril; 04-01-2018 at 11:29 PM. Reason: added quote
    • philip1427
    • By philip1427 5th Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    philip1427
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    Just some input here....

I don't believe car dealers take credit cards? When I bought my card there was a surcharge of around 2% if you wanted to use this facility. Albeit surcharges are now becoming illegal now.

In regards to your holiday I would recommend getting a card with no foreign transaction fees. I use Nationwide Select CC as it is fee free to use and they use VISA's exchange rate which beats any FX rate on the high st.
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 5th Jan 18, 5:15 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 3,657 Thanks
    ceredigion
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:15 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:15 PM
    Just some input here....

I don't believe car dealers take credit cards? When I bought my card there was a surcharge of around 2% if you wanted to use this facility. Albeit surcharges are now becoming illegal now.
    Originally posted by philip1427
    Which is why the OP was talking about a money transfer card.
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 5th Jan 18, 5:19 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 3,657 Thanks
    ceredigion
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:19 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:19 PM
    Do you really have to pay 10k for a car? Just asking
    Originally posted by venison
    The answer is probably no but there is nothing wrong with spending your money on the things you like
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 5th Jan 18, 5:31 PM
    • 1,831 Posts
    • 1,087 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:31 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:31 PM
    Do you really need a new car and at 10k as well given you have just paid off a 4K loan for the car you have. Do you really need to buy new car could you go for preowned.
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 6th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    The answer is probably no but there is nothing wrong with spending your money on the things you like
    Originally posted by ceredigion
    The OP is proposing to borrow money and get into debt to fund an extravagance.
    There are lots of thing I "want" but I don't buy them because I haven't got the money.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

88Posts Today

1,899Users online

Martin's Twitter