Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • takeachance
    • By takeachance 4th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    takeachance
    Cat D car with more damage on delivery
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    Cat D car with more damage on delivery 4th Jan 18 at 8:46 PM
    Hello!
    We bought a car from a salvage company in Nottingham last week. We have bought from the same place once before in 2003.
    This car was in a relatively good condition and although we live in the midlands, we have a family friend in London who is a mechanic and the car was delivered to him yesterday. We went down to London today and found that the car has a large scratch which it didn't have when we saw it a few weeks ago at the salvage place.
    Our friend says it is how it was when delivered. It is likely that this scratch happened while being transported.
    I need to speak to the salvage company tomorrow but a brief chat today seemed to suggest that they think the damage was at my mechanic friends garage following delivery.
    I believed that I was purchasing a car that would be in the same damaged condition that I saw it in. Would anyone know what my rights are as the purchaser?
    Many thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 4th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    Hello!
    We bought a car from a salvage company in Nottingham last week. We have bought from the same place once before in 2003.
    This car was in a relatively good condition and although we live in the midlands, we have a family friend in London who is a mechanic and the car was delivered to him yesterday. We went down to London today and found that the car has a large scratch which it didn't have when we saw it a few weeks ago at the salvage place.
    Our friend says it is how it was when delivered. It is likely that this scratch happened while being transported.
    I need to speak to the salvage company tomorrow but a brief chat today seemed to suggest that they think the damage was at my mechanic friends garage following delivery.
    I believed that I was purchasing a car that would be in the same damaged condition that I saw it in. Would anyone know what my rights are as the purchaser?
    Many thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by takeachance

You bought a salvaged motor and youíre complaining itís scratched.

Letís be fair, youíre not in a position to prove either way how it arrived at your friends.

What is it you actually want?
    • takeachance
    • By takeachance 4th Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    takeachance
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    Haha!
    We bought it as it had some work needed around the rear left corner and a new bumper. Hence my description 'relatively good condition' - as the average Cat D vehicle looks like it needs to be in ICU!
    According to the sale of goods act, I believed I was purchasing an item that had specific faults and have pictures to prove it. What has been delivered is something with more damage?
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 4th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    Haha!
    We bought it as it had some work needed around the rear left corner and a new bumper. Hence my description 'relatively good condition' - as the average Cat D vehicle looks like it needs to be in ICU!
    According to the sale of goods act, I believed I was purchasing an item that had specific faults and have pictures to prove it. What has been delivered is something with more damage?
    If they say it arrived as described and view how are you going to prove otherwise?

What solution are you after?

Sale of goods act won!!!8217;t help you as it went out in 2015.
    • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 4th Jan 18, 9:26 PM
    • 6,555 Posts
    • 4,544 Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:26 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:26 PM
    Haha!
    You really needed to be present as you were the one who viewed it prior when the car was being delivered to your mechanic, Or at least asked your mechanic to facetime you when it turned up.

unfortunately your mechanic signed for delivery, thus accepting it in its condition on your behalf.

Theres always something along the lines of "Vehicle condition will vary due being moved around a storage yard" kind of caveat in the paperwork and also Wear and tear clauses. Your purchasing "damaged" used goods its going to be near impossible to pin this "scratch" on any one person. If the scratch is on the same side as the damage, then its a no brainer to me! scuff the whole side down and when painting blend into surrounding panels re lacquer whole side of car to encompass the scratch.
    "We only have one world, But we live in different worlds"- Mark Knopfler Brothers in arms, Miss you gramps.
    • takeachance
    • By takeachance 4th Jan 18, 9:42 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    takeachance
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:42 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:42 PM
    Thank you. Yes the big scratch is on the other side - not the damaged side, hence the concern as it adds an additional £££ which then defeats the purpose of a choosing a cat D with very minimal impact.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 4th Jan 18, 10:20 PM
    • 653 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:20 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:20 PM
    You sure it's a Cat D?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/99750/cat-a-b-s-and-n-cars-new-insurance-write-off-categories-from-october
    • takeachance
    • By takeachance 4th Jan 18, 11:06 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    takeachance
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:06 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:06 PM
    Yes, the company still categorises as 'Cat D' so it ought to be a 'Cat N'. Not only did it have minimal impact but it is quite new as well- hence the deal.
    Doesn't sound like I've got much of a choice apart from hoping that the company will do the honourable thing and pay for the additional damage.
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 4th Jan 18, 11:38 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:38 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:38 PM
    You've created a rod for your own back by letting the salvage company drop off the car with your mechanic rather than yourself. If it was you who had signed for it, you would have known what damage was or wasn't shown on the photos. Did you brief your mechanic about what to expect and what damage was acceptable?
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 5th Jan 18, 12:29 AM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    If you live in the midlands and bought a car from a salvage yard in Nottingham, it seems a bit odd to have it delivered to a mechanic in London. I presume that's because you don't know any mechanics locally?
    • takeachance
    • By takeachance 5th Jan 18, 1:48 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    takeachance
    Thank you. Yes our mechanic had seen pictures from the salvage company website and was briefed although quite naively we did not expect extra damage.
    Funnily enough the car was dropped off without any signatures being required.
    And yes, although we know a few places in Brum which we've used for our current vehicle, we wanted to be extra cautious and hence decided to use the garage we knew well in London.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 5th Jan 18, 4:10 PM
    • 3,039 Posts
    • 2,198 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Salvage companies aren't reknown for being careful with things when transporting them because after all most of the vehicles they move end up in the crusher.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 6th Jan 18, 12:08 AM
    • 27,205 Posts
    • 10,960 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Did you view the car before purchase or just from the description and photo's?

The photo's often do not show all the scratches and damage, the damage breakdown is often fairly basic.

Your blaming the salvage company, yet it may have been like that before you bought it or your mate may have damaged it.
    Why are you not chasing him as much as the salvage company? Either of them could have caused the damage if it was not alreadty present when purchased.

Consumer rights, are you a consumer in this situation?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,564Posts Today

8,627Users online

Martin's Twitter