Passport renewal lead time - any suggestions..?

Comments

• Ok, thanks to all. I look forward with great delight to getting a good old, red, British passport...

You will be waiting a long time for that.
    The current UK/EU passport is red (well, burgundy to be exact).
    If the government has stated that new UK passports from Oct 2019 will be dark blue.
  • bspm
    bspm Posts: 541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Did my on line on a Monday, passport had arrived by Thursday, excellent service.

Did it October last year as even though I had 5 months left on it you need a minimum of 6 months to enter the USA. The five months was added on.
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    karcher wrote: »
    Mine runs out in 2 months, it's a lot of money to renew :(

£1/month in a jar for the last 10 years and you'd have enough for the passport and a nice meal out when you use it for the first time.
  • bspm wrote: »
    Did it October last year as even though I had 5 months left on it you need a minimum of 6 months to enter the USA. The five months was added on.
    Providing you are a British citizen holding a UK issued passport, the 6 month passport validity requirement doesn't apply when visiting the USA.
  • bspm
    bspm Posts: 541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Providing you are a British citizen holding a UK issued passport, the 6 month passport validity requirement doesn't apply when visiting the USA.

Yes you are right, I remember now, I just renewed it thinking I needed 6 months then son told me the rules had changed and I didn't.

No problem anyway as I didn't lose any months.
  • bspm wrote: »
    No problem anyway as I didn't lose any months.
    Exactly.
    I'll never understand the people who leave important things such as passports, travel insurance (and ESTA's when visiting the USA) to the last minute.
    An ESTA is $14 (about £11) for up to 2 years validity so it's about 50p per month but I know people who still apply a couple of days before travelling so that they don't lose any of the time on it.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    PP Office received my old PP and renewal application on Monday, just been notified new PP is in the post and will be with me on Saturday. So six days.
  • karcher wrote: »
    Mine runs out in 2 months, it's a lot of money to renew :(

15p a week. Bargain.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    You can renew up to 9 months in advance and those extra months are added to the validity of your passport.

To save any hassle, I'd renew it now before the holiday rush starts.
    ^^^^ This.

It's a no-brainer.
  • The online service - if you can get the photo part to work - is excellent. We renewed last year, got texts at every point telling us what was going on, and they were back within a few days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure