Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oitnb16
    • By oitnb16 4th Jan 18, 7:38 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    oitnb16
    Bit grim - apologies in advance!
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:38 PM
    Bit grim - apologies in advance! 4th Jan 18 at 7:38 PM
    Relatives stayed xmas eve and seem to have left us an extra 'present' in the spare upstairs throne room. Nothing stuck visible in bowl though and I've flushed/bleached/bog brushed at least 15 times so believe their 'present' must be present in the u-bend/pipes but out of sight. The water colour changes if it is left unflushed for more than 5 hours ish and the smell...it's repugnant.

Any suggestions to clear it before I call a drainage/plumber?
Page 2
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 5th Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 5,191 Posts
    • 5,674 Thanks
    ariba10
    The internal diameter of a Soil Pipe is 110mm.

You must have had some large visitors ?

(Best of luck)
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
    • Ainsley1
    • By Ainsley1 5th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    Ainsley1
    ....caustic soda, I too suggest!
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 5th Jan 18, 9:08 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    docmatt
    What did you feed them?
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 5th Jan 18, 9:28 PM
    • 8,197 Posts
    • 9,088 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    There might be a toothbrush (or something else ...) jammed round the bend which needs physically dislodging.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 5th Jan 18, 9:45 PM
    • 7,113 Posts
    • 49,582 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Vote here for fairy liquid, let sit for a bit and then hot water.

Alternatively, try pouring a bottle of coke down there and leaving it for a few hours, it seems to be good for all manner of other things and the acid may well break down the poop.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 6th Jan 18, 1:03 AM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    poppellerant
    Another vote for a very large bucket of hot water poured quickly, but carefully, into the bowl. Failing that, put a bag over the end of a map and mash away.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 6th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    • 14,149 Posts
    • 18,736 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Another vote for a very large bucket of hot water poured quickly, but carefully, into the bowl. Failing that, put a bag over the end of a map and mash away.
    Originally posted by poppellerant
    Does the map have to be of anywhere in particular? Crapstone or Looe, for example.

Ive always had success with the two gallon bucket of water method but had to unlblock a loo a couple of weeks ago and it failed miserablely. I just ended up with a toilet full to the brim with awfulness.

One of these sorted it though.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 6th Jan 18, 7:49 AM
    • 14,149 Posts
    • 18,736 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Originally posted by poppellerant
    Does the map have to be of anywhere in particular? Crapstone or Looe, for example.

Ive always had success with the two gallon bucket of water method but had to unlblock a loo a couple of weeks ago and it failed miserablely. I just ended up with a toilet full to the brim with awfulness.

One of these sorted it though. Very impressive.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • Jenniefour
    • By Jenniefour 6th Jan 18, 11:35 AM
    • 1,311 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    Jenniefour
    Had similar problem with a visitor - who was very apologetic! My plumber told me to use a mop with some plastic bags well tied over the head and use as a plunger. It worked great.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 6th Jan 18, 2:42 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    Ganga
    Just bite the bullet and put your hand in the u-bend,as well as a lump of poo there will probably be a toothbrush or cotton bud helping to block the toilet,what is in there cannot kill you,clean it out,wash your hands,job done.I used to work for a national pump hire company and our pumps were used in many sewerage works so have had to work in plenty of sh-t and am still alive.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • Ben84
    • By Ben84 6th Jan 18, 8:49 PM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 3,616 Thanks
    Ben84
    Hot water can crack toilet bowls. Caustic soda also produces a fair bit of heat when mixed with water, so directly adding it to the bowl is also risky. Dissolving it in a bucket of water, letting it cool and then adding it would be ok however. I suspect a good soak with caustic soda would clear it, that stuff is powerful. Take the safety instructions carefully though, it's one of the more hazardous chemicals you're likely to use around the house!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

249Posts Today

3,408Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin