Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rc18
    • By rc18 4th Jan 18, 7:19 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    rc18
    Argos query
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:19 PM
    Argos query 4th Jan 18 at 7:19 PM
    Hello,

7 days ago I purchased a Garmin Vivosmart Fitness Tracker from Argos via eBay. I collected it via their store a few minutes later.

When I opened the box I noticed the screen was very blurry. I assumed this was supposed to be the way it is and started using it. Over the next few days, I noticed the battery life lasted 12-15 hours despite it saying on the box and online that it should last up to 5 days. I also found out my friend had the exact same one as me and the screen on his is a lot clearer and battery life a lot better.

So today, I decided to return the product. I went back on eBay to return the product but it advised me to return it to the store I collected it from. When I went in to the store they advised me there is nothing they could do (they seemed very confused at the fact that I bought it from their Argos eBay store), and advised me to ring Garmin to get a reference number and for them to run diagnostics over the phone to understand the route of the fault. Then if they couldn't fix it, then would give me a reference number and I would need to take it into the Argos store for the refund.

I have been looking at Consumer Rights Act 2015 and it clearly states the fact that the responsibility lies with the retailer and not the manufacturer. I reiterated this both to the customer assistant and the manager but the manager was having none of it and said there was nothing he could do until I contacted Garmin... who closed at 5pm

I contacted Argos by phone and after speaking to 6 different people, they advised their eBay department closes at 5. You couldn't make it up! Does anyone have any advise they can give me about this, and can someone confirm if I am right in what I said to the manager regarding consumer rights?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan
Page 1
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 4th Jan 18, 8:04 PM
    • 3,626 Posts
    • 9,930 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:04 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:04 PM
    Go back to the eBay store and ask how you return a faulty item to them. The eBay store, Argos physical store and Argos online are, very likely, run as totally separate (though related) companies.
    • rc18
    • By rc18 4th Jan 18, 8:58 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rc18
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:58 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:58 PM
    Thanks for your reply!

I tried that and it said I have to take it back to the store I picked it up from. eBay said the same and when I rang Argos they said thatís correct as far as they know but the department that deals with eBay returns was closed
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 4th Jan 18, 10:37 PM
    • 3,168 Posts
    • 19,069 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:37 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:37 PM
    The eBay store Ts&Cs say if you collected from a store you can return it there.

Can I return my item to a store?

Currently only Items purchased from Argos on eBay that are Click & Collected from an Argos store can be returned to a store.

• theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 5th Jan 18, 7:07 AM
    • 12,193 Posts
    • 8,244 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:07 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:07 AM
    Log into your eBay account and open a case for a return under the "item is defective". It is all done online, you do not need to ring and speak with anyone.

*did you pay by guest payment, if so, update and we can offer further advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

168Posts Today

1,709Users online

Martin's Twitter