Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • globetraveller
    • By globetraveller 4th Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    • 2,095Posts
    • 11,907Thanks
    globetraveller
    AA standard boiler cover
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    AA standard boiler cover 4th Jan 18 at 6:39 PM
    Anyone have this ? Looking for opinions on whether it is worth getting please
    weight loss target 23lbs/49lb
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 4th Jan 18, 6:51 PM
    • 2,002 Posts
    • 2,637 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:51 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:51 PM
    Like all these policies, the list of exclusions is what’s worth paying attention to. There’s no point going for the cheapest price if they will wriggle out of problems other providers will cover.

It depends upon your circumstances but have you considered asking a reputable local gas engineer to service your boiler and then self-insure? In other words, put the £10-20 per month by to build a fund that could pay for most problems should they occur. If you are able to find a recommended, reliable local professional who can come out at reasonable notice, you might be better off. If a guaranteed fast response is important to you (young children, health condition, elderly housemate, etc) then a bigger player is the way to go, but go for the best cover rather than the cheapest price.
    • globetraveller
    • By globetraveller 5th Jan 18, 10:39 AM
    • 2,095 Posts
    • 11,907 Thanks
    globetraveller
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:39 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:39 AM
    Thanks! Its difficult to know what to do for best. Am with Scottish Gas but i costs a fortune!
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 5th Jan 18, 2:53 PM
    • 2,002 Posts
    • 2,637 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:53 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:53 PM
    What do you consider pricey? I'm paying £16 per month to SSE for boiler and heating cover. I've managed to peg it at that for a few years by negotiating at renewal. They provide an annual service (the guy that does ours does a very comprehensive job each year) and their level of cover is pretty good. For less than £200 a year I consider it reasonable value. My local gas fitter charges £65 for a service so I'm getting insurance cover for around £11 a month.
    • globetraveller
    • By globetraveller 5th Jan 18, 4:46 PM
    • 2,095 Posts
    • 11,907 Thanks
    globetraveller
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:46 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:46 PM
    I am on £29 and they now want £33. I will look at SSE as well as AA. Thanks
    • stator
    • By stator 5th Jan 18, 5:20 PM
    • 6,303 Posts
    • 4,195 Thanks
    stator
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:20 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:20 PM
    I wouldn't bother with this type of insurance.

You're not insuring against something that might happen and would cost a lot of money. You're insuring against something that will happen eventually. So you might as well put the money aside and use it to pay for your own repairs. You can use your own tradesmen who might be willing to fix the boiler using second hand parts, if it's worth it. A company might just write off your boiler and tell you to get a new one, to get out of paying for a repair.

If you are worried about a breakdown and really have no money at the moment, then it might be worth it. But when you add up the cost of all these insurance policies like home care and white appliance breakdown you would be better off cancelling them all and putting the money asside. They really are aimed at exploiting poor people
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,247Posts Today

6,613Users online

Martin's Twitter