Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • naviberry
    • By naviberry 4th Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    naviberry
    Advice! M1 speed camera flashed!
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    Advice! M1 speed camera flashed! 4th Jan 18 at 6:32 PM
    Hi all!

Just wanted as many opinions as possible on this as I am freaking out over it and it has never happened to me before, also these new enforcements with the speeding fines etc is making me even more anxious.
    Was driving down the M1 motorway yesterday morning (from J11 to J8 - southbound) and it said 60 on the gantry above, where they set speed limits. On my speedometer I was going at 63mph & know that it always shows up on it as a little more than what it actually is so I thought it would be fine and I was running late for work (not thinking straight) otherwise I usually would never go even a little bit over. Hi all!

Just wanted as many opinions as possible on this as I am freaking out over it and it has never happened to me before, also these new enforcements with the speeding fines etc is making me even more anxious.
    Was driving down the M1 motorway yesterday morning (from J11 to J8 - southbound) and it said 60 on the gantry above where they set speed limits. On my speedometer I was going at 63mph & know that my speed always reads as a little more than what it actually is so I thought it would be fine and I was running late for work otherwise I usually would never go even a little bit over even with the speedometer reading as a bit more than the actual speed. However, I saw a massive flash coming from the right hand side - it definitely flashed from the top right and saw it in my right hand wing mirror and if I get caught for this which I'm pretty anxious I have been, I cannot believe it would be for a few mph more than what the limit actually was and surely the speedometer should have marked it at around 60mph with it showing as a bit more than reality? Just want to know if anyone has been in a similar situation and I would appreciate your input/opinions whether you have been or not! Really making me feel awfully anxious and tense that I'm going to get a fine and points on my licence for stupidly going a few mph over the limit if I actually did. I have never gone over the speed limit in my 6 years of driving and don't plan to, I am always super aware of that kind of thing and have never done anything against the law so this is making me feel sick. If I get it, should I appeal and what do you think my chances are of them overturning the decision?

Thank you!
    naviberry,
Page 1
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 4th Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    If the cars registered to you all you can do is wait 14 days and see what comes in the post.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 4th Jan 18, 6:55 PM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 4,500 Thanks
    waamo
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:55 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:55 PM
    If you haven!!!8217;t done one in the last 3 years you would probably qualify for a speed awareness course. No fine, no points and no conviction.
    This space for hire.
    • Paradigm
    • By Paradigm 4th Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    • 3,426 Posts
    • 4,318 Thanks
    Paradigm
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    If you were really doing an indicated 63mph in a signed 60mph limit then forget about it, you won't hear anything so chill out & stop worrying
    Last edited by Paradigm; 04-01-2018 at 7:30 PM.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 4th Jan 18, 7:31 PM
    • 36,034 Posts
    • 46,441 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:31 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:31 PM
    Give over worrying. 3 over the limit is not gonna get you a fine.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 4th Jan 18, 8:19 PM
    • 2,635 Posts
    • 2,234 Thanks
    Richard53
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:19 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:19 PM
    If your car is like the majority of others, the speedo will over-read by approximately 5%, so at an indicated 63 you would probably have been spot on the limit of 60. Add to that the fact that there will be a small amount of leeway in the speeds they prosecute - perhaps 65 in a 60 or even more - and I don't think you need to worry. But, as others have said, keep checking the post.
    An hour alone spells freedom to the slave.
    • JamesZxr
    • By JamesZxr 8th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    JamesZxr
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    Was it dark at the time by any chance? A similar thing happened to me M1 southbound the other week, limit had been dropped to 50mph and I had the cruise control set to just that all of a sudden there was a !!!8216;flash!!!8217;. When I got further up the road and it happened again I realised what it was, there were some temporary flood lights which they had set up beyond the hard shoulder to do with the roadworks which reflected into the car as I passed by, did make me wounder what was going on!
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 8th Jan 18, 2:22 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 8,387 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:22 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:22 PM
    Don't "use up" the 10% error on the speedo.
    Do an indicated 60, and you'll be safely under the limit.
    The few mph is going to make virtually no difference to how long your journey takes.
    It's never worth rushing anywhere.
    Also, if you've been caught, then that's it. Nothing you can do about it.
    So wait for the notice before worrying.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 8th Jan 18, 4:11 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 4,368 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:11 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:11 PM
    So you know you were going over the speed limit and you want... what? Sympathy?

You'll either get a letter or you won't. If you don't, then you got away with it.

And before anyone flames me, I've had 3 speeding tickets and 2 speed awareness courses. It was always a fair cop (and yes, there were always excuses) - but I'm now very aware of my speed.
    • Nearly Old
    • By Nearly Old 8th Jan 18, 8:55 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    Nearly Old
    Hi all
    Just wanted as many opinions as possible on this

However, I saw a massive flash coming from the right hand side - it definitely flashed from the top right and saw it in my right hand wing mirror

Thank you!
    naviberry,
    Originally posted by naviberry
    My opinion - nothing at all will happen, absolutely nothing! The variable speed limits are enforced by HADEC3 cameras that are mounted on the nearside gantry so any flash from an enforcement camera is always from the rear left.

Could just have been the sun catching your offside wing mirror.
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 8th Jan 18, 11:09 PM
    • 3,103 Posts
    • 1,638 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    if you were a true 3mph over wouldn't worry too much ( but slow down from now on )

See below from avon and somerset ( should be similar )

We enforce all speed limits at NPCC (ACPO) guidelines which is 10% + 2mph of the posted speed limit: i.e. in a 30mph enforcement would start at 35mph and so on.
    Education is offered from 10%+2mph to 10%+9mph of the posted limit i.e. in a 30mph limit it would be 35 !!!8211; 42mph and so on.
    Fixed Penalties and summons are offered as follows:
    Limit Fixed Penalty Summons
    20 32 - 39 mph 40mph +
    30 43 !!!8211; 49 mph 50mph +
    40 54 !!!8211; 65 mph 66mph +
    50 65 !!!8211; 75 mph 76mph +
    60 76 !!!8211; 85 mph 86mph +
    70 87 !!!8211; 95 mph 96mph +
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 8th Jan 18, 11:28 PM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 3,743 Thanks
    gardner1
    Here in Northumbria Police now just use 10%........2 mph has been dropped
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,028Posts Today

8,015Users online

Martin's Twitter