Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sugartree
    • By sugartree 4th Jan 18, 6:26 PM
    • 78Posts
    • 180Thanks
    sugartree
    How to get married in a different part of the country and the cost
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:26 PM
    How to get married in a different part of the country and the cost 4th Jan 18 at 6:26 PM
    Hi,

This year is my partners 40th and we have already booked a week away in the summer to Cornwall (fortunately his birthday is in the summer holidays!) with our 2 children.

Out of curiosity, we wondered how would we go about getting married while we’re there in the local registry office and would we have to travel down prior to our holiday and if possible how much will it cost?

Thanks
    Oh I do want to live in Countryside.......
Page 1
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 4th Jan 18, 8:27 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 2,948 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:27 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:27 PM
    You book a ceremony at the register office you want, and then give notice at the register office in the area in which you live (at least 28 days before).

The cost to give notice is a standard £35 each - the ceremony cost depends on the local fees which may vary depending on the day of the week and the size of the room.

All registration districts also have to offer a very basic ceremony, usually conducted in the registrars office, with just you and two witnesses and no other guests for about £50 if you want the very cheapest option (but appointments for those may very limited).
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 5th Jan 18, 12:40 PM
    • 5,241 Posts
    • 24,219 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:40 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:40 PM
    Yes you would have to travel to Cornwall prior to the marriage, you will have to visit both the local and the Cornish Register offices to be able to book the wedding in Cornwall.
    • olgadapolga
    • By olgadapolga 5th Jan 18, 2:47 PM
    • 835 Posts
    • 990 Thanks
    olgadapolga
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:47 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:47 PM
    Yes you would have to travel to Cornwall prior to the marriage, you will have to visit both the local and the Cornish Register offices to be able to book the wedding in Cornwall.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    We didn't have to do this when we chose to get married in Cornwall (lived in Berkshire at the time) - we just had to contact the Register Office where we wanted to get married to book the time/date. We did all the rest (notification of our intention to get married/pay fees etc) at our local office.
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 5th Jan 18, 3:06 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 2,948 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:06 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:06 PM
    You won't have to travel to Cornwall in advance - just book a ceremony by phone.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 6th Jan 18, 5:07 PM
    • 5,241 Posts
    • 24,219 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:07 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:07 PM
    We didn't have to do this when we chose to get married in Cornwall (lived in Berkshire at the time) - we just had to contact the Register Office where we wanted to get married to book the time/date. We did all the rest (notification of our intention to get married/pay fees etc) at our local office.
    Originally posted by olgadapolga
    I wonder why they said we had to go to both registrars then! Perhaps it was because we weren't actually getting married at the register office in the non-local area.
    • Brewerspride
    • By Brewerspride 6th Jan 18, 5:14 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Brewerspride
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:14 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:14 PM
    Originally posted by olgadapolga
    Same when I got married. Booked the date/time for the wedding by phone to the Register Office in Cumbria then served notice etc at our local RO in person.

The notice of intent was £70 for the 2 of us and the ceremony/marriage certificates came to a grand total of £53. This was for a midweek service in 2012.

The cost of the ceremony will vary from place to place but you should be able to get the info online.
    Last edited by Brewerspride; 06-01-2018 at 5:19 PM. Reason: add costs
    • pimento
    • By pimento 7th Jan 18, 10:25 PM
    • 5,391 Posts
    • 7,023 Thanks
    pimento
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:25 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 10:25 PM
    I'm getting married in Scotland in two weeks. We booked by phone, paid by cheque and sent our docs Special Delivery. We will have to visit the day before the ceremony to confirm our identities. Nothing was required to be done by us locally in England.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 8th Jan 18, 12:36 AM
    • 5,149 Posts
    • 7,168 Thanks
    Kynthia
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:36 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:36 AM
    I wonder why they said we had to go to both registrars then! Perhaps it was because we weren't actually getting married at the register office in the non-local area.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    I booked a civil wedding at a private venue and didn't need to meet the registrars in that district beforehand. Everything was done by phone or post. The only thing that had to be done person was at our local registry office.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 8th Jan 18, 2:36 PM
    • 5,241 Posts
    • 24,219 Thanks
    Slinky
    Well I'm baffled then! We definitely went to both!
    • sugartree
    • By sugartree 12th Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    sugartree
    Thank you all, we are currently looking into it
    Oh I do want to live in Countryside.......
    • DavidPrescott
    • By DavidPrescott 13th Jan 18, 4:50 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DavidPrescott
    Hey. Are you done with your marriage?
    • selement
    • By selement 13th Jan 18, 10:19 AM
    • 458 Posts
    • 1,906 Thanks
    selement
    I wonder if this varies by registry office?
    We got married in a different county (but not at registry office) and did all paperwork in the post just had to give notice where we live.
    My friend is getting married within our county and got the impression this was not an option (but as she lives in the area it isnt too much hassle)
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

574Posts Today

5,655Users online

Martin's Twitter