Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shoxt3r
    • By Shoxt3r 4th Jan 18, 2:03 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Shoxt3r
    British Gas HomeEnergy Fix Oct 2019 (exclusive offer)?
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:03 PM
    British Gas HomeEnergy Fix Oct 2019 (exclusive offer)? 4th Jan 18 at 2:03 PM
    Hi there,

We've been with British Gas ever since we moved into our house in late-2015 and haven't looked around for any other providers until now - silly I know but we've had other things to look into.

Anyway, I got an email from British Gas saying there was an "exclusive" offer for us which for 80.22 a month includes the following:
    • Fixed price energy until 31 October 2019 with Hive Welcome Home Plan and Hive Live included at no additional charge (worth 155 over 24 months)
    • Hive Welcome Home Plan is a clever way to control and schedule your lighting and appliances at home or from your phone
    • Includes 2 Hive Active Light Bulbs, 1 Hive Motion Sensor, 1 Hive Active Plug, a Hive Hub and Hive Live. Terms apply [2]
    • After two years, your Hive Live entitlements will stop unless you decide to continue
    • Exit fees of 40 per fuel

I ran a search via Cheap Energy Club and it came back with the following based on last year's KW/h readings:
    Sainsbury's Energy 127 a year saving (fixed until February 2019)
    Engie - 138 a year saving (fixed until July 2019)

We're frequently in credit with British Gas by several hundred pounds which makes me think we're being overcharged anyway at 85.10 a month but I wanted to see what others thought about British Gas' offer, being as it beats the fixed prices from Sainsbury's Energy (British Gas) and Engie for example by several months.

We apparently have until end of this month to decide if we want to go for it.

Any thoughts? If you have any questions about our usage or anything else if it would help, just let me know!

Cheers,

Andrew
Page 1
    • jk0
    • By jk0 4th Jan 18, 2:25 PM
    • 2,313 Posts
    • 24,823 Thanks
    jk0
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:25 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:25 PM
    It's the price per unit that's relevant surely, isn't it? You might pay the 80 per month to find a massive bill at the end of the contract.

Also, all that other nonsense is just to draw you in, then you will be charged subscriptions when the contract is over.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 4th Jan 18, 3:15 PM
    • 10,493 Posts
    • 4,429 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:15 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:15 PM
    As above really .
    The 80.22 pm is an estimate not an actual price . Use more and you pay more .
    Overcharged not if you are supplying frequent meter readings .
    Basics are always the actual unit cost and daily standing charge .
    • Shoxt3r
    • By Shoxt3r 5th Jan 18, 12:58 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Shoxt3r
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:58 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:58 PM
    Thanks for your help both! I had a feeling there would be a comeback when the contract ended to make up for the "savings" they talk about.

We've recently had smart meters installed for free by British Gas so we should be able to provide meter readings automatically now (they say) - I guess we have comeback to get a refund on the massive amount of credit we're due?

I suspect this is long-standing since we didn't get into the habit of giving meter readings until much more recently.

Even the British Gas engineer we had to install the meters said we should go with Sainsbury's Energy as it's all under the same name of British Gas anyway...

Cheers,

Andrew
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 5th Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    • 3,580 Posts
    • 2,227 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    Only you can decide whether so called "freebies" are worth 155 and all the rest.

You want the lowest cost not the best freebies. Basically the cost of electricity or gas is priced in kwh plus a standing charge so these are the numbers that you are interested in. Ideally the cheapest price per kwh and cheapest standing charge.

You multiply the price per kwh by your annual consumption in kwh, add the standing charge and that will tell you how much you've got to pay - ignore savings and other stuff.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • Shoxt3r
    • By Shoxt3r 8th Jan 18, 2:32 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Shoxt3r
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:32 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:32 PM
    Thanks for your reply matelodave.

At the moment I'm just weighing up the options but having looked at MSE's Energy Club it tells me that we can save 150+ which I assume takes into account the KW/h price as well as the standing charges? This is the only comparison tool I've used so far but I assume I can trust that it will give me an accurate price based on our consumption from the last year...? :S

Any other tools to work this out would be much appreciated and for example where I can find information about cost of electricity/gas per KW/h and a company's standing charges - they don't seem to be readily available on the sites I've been on (British Gas, Bulb etc.)

Cheers,

Andrew
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

392Posts Today

4,415Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin