Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • slipd
    • By slipd 4th Jan 18, 1:36 PM
    • 170Posts
    • 17Thanks
    slipd
    Water leak = smell of damp...
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:36 PM
    Water leak = smell of damp... 4th Jan 18 at 1:36 PM
    Hi guys,

As above. Over Christmas my car had a water leak and whilst left idle it has started to smell a bit... The leak has been sorted, so the garage say, and now I want to freshen things up. I'm after some guidance on approach and then some product recommendations

Thanks.
Page 1
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 4th Jan 18, 3:28 PM
    • 7,095 Posts
    • 5,864 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:28 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:28 PM
    The leak might be sorted but the carpets and soundproofing will need to dry out. Long drives with the heater and fan on will work.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 4th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    • 17,602 Posts
    • 15,968 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    Agree with Norman - there's a lot of material for water to soak into. If you want to do it properly, you're going to be taking a lot of trim out.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 4th Jan 18, 3:50 PM
    • 5,204 Posts
    • 7,022 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:50 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:50 PM
    Does silica gel not work drying out cars?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000G-2KG-loose-Silica-Gel-Dessicant-Granules-Beads-SELF-INDICATING-ORANGE/272954238701?epid=1662970566&hash=item3f8d5726ed:g :C5cAAOxy0zhTM053 - possibly cheaper elsewhere just grabbed as an example.
    Don't be angry!
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 4th Jan 18, 6:59 PM
    • 27,221 Posts
    • 10,967 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:59 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:59 PM
    Silica gel works very slowly, if you could get a fan blowing through it and circulating the air for a few weeks it will work.

Take the carpets out and dry the underlay material thats where the moisture will be.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Gwendo40
    • By Gwendo40 5th Jan 18, 6:24 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    Gwendo40
    • 5th Jan 18, 6:24 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 6:24 AM
    As others have said it will be the soundproofing underlay material that will really be soaking wet and probably not even worth trying to dry it, easier just to remove it and order some replacement underlay.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 5th Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    • 2,635 Posts
    • 2,234 Thanks
    Richard53
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    Best solution: remove affected carpets and underlay, and dry very thoroughly (naturally or artificially), Febreze or similar if there are any residual smells, replace. While carpets are out, drive around with heater and fan on to dry the interior further. Could take days or weeks to do properly.

Quick solution: cat litter in a sock, make several, distribute around affected area, leave several days, dispose of and replace when soaking wet. Bicarb of soda on the carpet (once it feels dry) and vacuum off. May need several applications.

Wet car interiors are truly horrible (smells, window misting) and really need dealing with properly.

(Or count yourself lucky. I am currently driving round at work in a truck where some idiot has spilled sour milk on the upholstery. It is vile beyond belief.)
    An hour alone spells freedom to the slave.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,901Posts Today

6,709Users online

Martin's Twitter