Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,903Posts
    • 45,646Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Page 92
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 6th Nov 18, 10:22 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 3,347 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    No big names but a really good haul of casual tops today from my two £1 shops. Nine tops and then a pair of Faith shoe-boots, also £1, almost no wear on the heels.

Couple of slightly dressy tops as I have a baby shower dinner, a friend's birthday party at a local night club and a Xmas dinner with friends and our kids (with 25 of us going, poor Pizza Express!!) In the next eight weeks where those will be useful.

Then more longer length mummy uniform items for toddler group and the like. Stuff that looks nice but is comfy and I won't fret if it's damaged or stained etc. I need longer tops since having babies, my lower torso isn't how it was.
    Last edited by Lucy5781; 07-11-2018 at 4:01 PM.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • NorfolkandGood
    • By NorfolkandGood 7th Nov 18, 12:36 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    NorfolkandGood
    Hi all, seems like a long time since I last posted but I still try to read all your jottings!

Just a note to Miro ( I think) .British manufacturers changed clothing and pattern sizing in the 1960's and again in the 1970's. So if you buy vintage you need two sizes bigger than your current 2018 size. ie. size 8 now you need a size 12 when buying vintage.

Anyway, recent bargains include a Georg Jensen tealight holder for 25p, another pen pot that looks like a pencil sharpener for £1, the clever gut diet book by Michael Moseley 50p and a glass cloche with wood base for 50p that originally housed a candle. I have now managed to rub the print off the cloche ,so this can now cover my Nativity scene I previously bought at the jumble for a pound in the summer.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 7th Nov 18, 4:13 PM
    • 5,785 Posts
    • 25,061 Thanks
    Mirů

Just a note to Miro ( I think) .British manufacturers changed clothing and pattern sizing in the 1960's and again in the 1970's. So if you buy vintage you need two sizes bigger than your current 2018 size. ie. size 8 now you need a size 12 when buying vintage.
    Originally posted by NorfolkandGood
    Oh, that is very interesting....I did not know that! Thank you so much for that info - I will bear that n mind in the future

Today's treat from the community chazza was a pawsh bottle of perfume. Someone obviously knew it was a cut above the B & H stuff and priced it at £5. 'It' was a full bottle of Salvatore Ferragamo 'Signorina' EDP 100ml. I surreptitiously squirted a little on my wrist and walked about for a while to make sure it wasn't old and orft but it was fine and smelled gorgeous so I splurged. Currently selling from Ferragamo at £78
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 9th Nov 18, 1:11 PM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 7,889 Thanks
    MandM90
    Just got three cups and matching saucers for £1. Going to try steaming xmas puddings in the teacups for elderly neighbours who will be alone at Xmas. Will experiment before the actual gifts to check they work!

Also found a log basket at a second hang shop for £14 - more pricey than would've been in the chazza but I was looking at new ones for ~£30 so quite happy with that.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 9th Nov 18, 2:15 PM
    • 8,328 Posts
    • 26,134 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Now that is a lovely use of a "lost" teacup & saucer - what a glorious & generous & thoughtful restoration to use.

Me, I just found a couple of nice silk ties, which look blandly blue with some pattern at a metre & up close one has cows & another has hippos. I shall *enjoy* eavesdropping as Christmas stockings are unwrapped...
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 9th Nov 18, 3:16 PM
    • 5,785 Posts
    • 25,061 Thanks
    Mirů
    Oh rats!! I am very, very cross with myself

Went into the BHF shop and in the 'expensive goods' glass case I spotted a vintage Mulberry Bayswater bag in the oak shade of natural tanned leather. Asked to have a look at it, (and at the obscured price tag). It had all the hallmarks of a genuine Mulberry and had obviously been well used and well loved - the handles had darkened a little, the corners were rubbed and there was the odd light scratch here and there but the leather was sound and all the stitching was present and sound. Priced at £39.95, (they sell for between £350 - £500 in this condition usually). I went to the nearby charity coffee shop to have a little think about how I could restore the bag to it's former glory. Deciding it was do-able I hotfooted it back to the BHF shop and....you've guessed it.....it had gone. In the space of 20 mins or so!! Aaargghh!

Will I ever learn????
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 9th Nov 18, 6:25 PM
    • 8,328 Posts
    • 26,134 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Miro, it's heartbreaking, it does mean & nasty things to blood pressure (and how well you get on with neighbours, family, loved ones, pets etc) but what that *means* it is just was not meant to be yours today.

Please, go kick something, deliberately smash an unloved china thing, scrub the loo with someone else's toothbrush (then bin it) but then forgive yourself for deciding to think first & letting Fate work its sneaky wiles?
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 9th Nov 18, 7:34 PM
    • 5,785 Posts
    • 25,061 Thanks
    Mirů
    Miro, it's heartbreaking, it does mean & nasty things to blood pressure (and how well you get on with neighbours, family, loved ones, pets etc) but what that *means* it is just was not meant to be yours today.

Please, go kick something, deliberately smash an unloved china thing, scrub the loo with someone else's toothbrush (then bin it) but then forgive yourself for deciding to think first & letting Fate work its sneaky wiles?
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Awww thanks DFV......I've calmed down a bit now thanks to a couple of large glasses of vino collapso. It was either that or kick the cat and I'm already in his bad books for removing him from the freshly ironed pile of bedding this morning. I think my missed bargain may have been my own fault in more ways than one as I seem to remember someone lingerie nearby and watching me closely as I was inspecting said bag and chatting to the sales assistant about it....probably alerted the 'someone' that it was a sought after and expensive make. Must be more discrete in future as well as more decisive! Anyhoo, I hope the person that bought it enjoys and appreciates it.

Cheers m'dears....and hic!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Nov 18, 8:37 PM
    • 26,762 Posts
    • 56,975 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I had a couple of chazzer finds today: a long Per Una skirt in dusky pink (this matches perfectly with a summer top I bought a few weeks ago and then forgot about ), and a pink Red Herring summer mac for £2 each.

Priced at £39.95
    Originally posted by Mir!
    I would be rejoicing at having saved the best part of £40. I like smart and practical handbags but don't get the designer thing at all.
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 09-11-2018 at 8:39 PM.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th Nov 18, 2:05 AM
    • 8,328 Posts
    • 26,134 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Whereas I routinely pick up designer name stuff (like the Tesco bags) as our American cousins pay up happily for a "good name" & thus I keep ebay running as they trouser my 10%..

Son wears a Ted Baker suit (Very nicely made) when wishing to cut a dash for Prom, & lent it to brother for job interview (successfully, been there for months now) so as long as they don't grow overmuch (ha!) suits are sorted.

Designer for me though - not so much. The handbag software is missing (see elsewhere in this thread!) & I am just not a "designer shape". Not quite as Megan M won't wear Beckham, apparently "lacking the long torso", but as I'm much more hard boiled egg shape than anything sinuously feminine...
    • bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 10th Nov 18, 1:48 PM
    • 1,841 Posts
    • 2,291 Thanks
    bobsa1
    Weíve been abroad for half term and despite stopping in the lovely Stamford on our way home for a cs fix we bought nothing. Today though dh and I went to the £1 hospice shop. I got a brand new sealed 1000pc Xmas jigsaw which will make its way into the stocking of one of the dds in addition I got a 1977 royal doulton Xmas plate and a new and boxed next Xmas card display thing and as all brick a Bravia 3 for £1 I was happy with my bargains. Dh then got another suit with the pockets still sewn so Iím guessing unworn for £1. I canít recall the make but looks nice on.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 11th Nov 18, 8:58 AM
    • 4,076 Posts
    • 37,700 Thanks
    dolly84
    Yesterday saw us getting a few things:

Rocha John Rocha short sleeved shirt for DH, faded red with white slubs and denim accents £1.

2 Nike golf tops for DH (he doesn't play golf and got them for the gym but thinks they are too nice for that so will wear them for walking), one is therma-fit in black and dark grey, long sleeved and 1/4 zip neck, the second is the same style but dri-fit and blue and dark grey £3 each.

I would never buy new from a company like Nike but second hand is fine.

Papaya shirt for me, black with grandad collar, seamed detail in shirt material to front, shirt cuffs then rest is jersey, looks nearly new £3. Really smart with a skirt for work.

M&S collection fitness top, long sleeved, 1/4 zip neck, grey marl and turquoise with zip pocket to back, ideal for running £3

Falmer Heritage cropped lace blouse, short sleeves, boxy shape, beading to front, cream colour, it is a sort of crochet/lace effect so needs a cream cami top underneath but looks lovely with black trousers/skirt and a black cardigan.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 11th Nov 18, 10:27 AM
    • 5,785 Posts
    • 25,061 Thanks
    Mirů
    I like smart and practical handbags but don't get the designer thing at all.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

Designer for me though - not so much. The handbag software is missing....
    Originally posted by DigForVictory

It's not so much the 'designer' aspect that appeals...it's the sheer quality of vintage, (especially bags), that you just don't find these days. For e.g. compare a 20 yr old Mulberry to a current one and they are poles apart in terms of design, quality of leather, construction and finish. Even the current Chanel and Hermes bags are rubbish, IMHO, if placed side by side with 30+ year old ones. Plus I just love the nostalgia, the imagined history of vintage...the odd faint whiff of a previous owner's perfume or the small smudge of lipstick on the lining of a bag. I confess I am a bagoholic and thanks to frugal ways of shopping in charity shops, which saves me a fortune on other things, I have managed to acquire over the years a fair collection. Also, if you look after them many keep their value! I guess bags are my equivalent of Denby or books
    Last edited by Mirů; 11-11-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Nov 18, 11:30 AM
    • 26,762 Posts
    • 56,975 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    It's not so much the 'designer' aspect that appeals...it's the sheer quality of vintage, (especially bags), that you just don't find these days. For e.g. compare a 20 yr old Mulberry to a current one and they are poles apart in terms of design, quality of leather, construction and finish. Even the current Chanel and Hermes bags are rubbish, IMHO, if placed side by side with 30+ year old ones. Plus I just love the nostalgia, the imagined history of vintage...the odd faint whiff of a previous owner's perfume or the small smudge of lipstick on the lining of a bag. I confess I am a bagoholic and thanks to frugal ways of shopping in charity shops, which saves me a fortune on other things, I have managed to acquire over the years a fair collection. Also, if you look after them many keep their value! I guess bags are my equivalent of Denby or books
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Touch!!

I still didn't get it until your very last sentence

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Potternerd
    • By Potternerd 11th Nov 18, 5:55 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    Potternerd
    A red wool Viyella jacket £5, a red Ralph Lauren denim jacket style jacket£10, a red ( there seems to be a theme developing) Fatface cross body bag £8, a rose gold phone case £1, a black corduroy scarf £1, a pink Radley wallet £2.50, a small heart shaped Emma Bridgewater tin £1.50 and a Betty,s tea shop tote bag for £2 which I am especially pleased anbout as I had been admiring the same thing in Betty's 2 days earlier priced at £6.50. Can't resist a tote bag!
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 11th Nov 18, 10:50 PM
    • 1,422 Posts
    • 9,235 Thanks
    Living proof
    A brand new decking oil and stain applicator set for £1 (normally £15-20), two Anna Griffin sets of die cuts for decoupage £1 each and a brand new shrink wrapped Nutribullet book for £1.50. I am trying to avoid clothes!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 12th Nov 18, 5:46 PM
    • 4,076 Posts
    • 37,700 Thanks
    dolly84
    Dropped DD off for her shift at the CS and bought a few bits.

Autonomy grey checked coat, checks are in fine purple lines - £4.50
    Hi gear base layer top for cycling £1
    Boden wool and cashmere blend jumper, rose pink, 3/4 sleeves and full button back £3.50
    BNWT boys Cherokee chino shorts in burnt orange £2.50
    Running tights as a base layer for the bike as I am fussy about what I run in £2.50
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Nov 18, 6:57 PM
    • 26,762 Posts
    • 56,975 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Running tights as a base layer for the bike as I am fussy about what I run in £2.50
    Originally posted by dolly84
    I got some great stuff today for a total of £2.30 including some silicone bakeware, a spoon rest, graduated kitchen jug, and 4 books, including the following, which I had hoped would inspire me (if only to save some time) as I usually walk the equivalent of 5 miles a day!

ETA: silicone ware included one half of the following for 50p, allegedly over £16 on Alibaba.com:

Last edited by VfM4meplse; 12-11-2018 at 7:00 PM.

• bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 12th Nov 18, 8:13 PM
    • 1,314 Posts
    • 6,229 Thanks
    bexster1975
    A couple of bargains today. Brand new in box and sealed in the cellophane Molton brown recharge black pepper 50 ml EDT £9.99 ( £45 from MB). Set of 6 hand creams from Crabtree and Evelyn £9.99 ( same collection on Amazon £36). Also brand new in box. A set of three tealight holders in gold on a mirrored tray, boxed and sealed £3.99

Quite a big spend, certainly my biggest in a few months.

Bexster
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 12th Nov 18, 8:39 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 2,882 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Long red M&S skirt BNWT £3.50.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,470Users online

Martin's Twitter