Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,902Posts
    • 45,651Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Page 87
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 10th Oct 18, 9:43 PM
    • 26,706 Posts
    • 110,042 Thanks
    candygirl
    Took a large bag of (clean, some expensive) shoes, clothes and books to a Charity Shop in Bridgnorth yesterday.
    Gave it to the chap manning the counter, he grunted and threw it on the floor behind him, then turned away.

I shall NOT be donating to that store again, no matter how deserving the charity is!
    Originally posted by Hobsons Choice
    I've had this a few times too, with really good quality stuff.A thank you isn't too much to expect, is it?
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 10th Oct 18, 10:17 PM
    • 8,933 Posts
    • 10,346 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Stopped off in my local Cancer Research and got a brilliant evening dress for 2! After looking online, they go for over 100 new. Now I just need some sort of formal event to show it off.
    Originally posted by K80 Black
    A virtual charity shop Christmas fashion show? I've already shown my stripey blazer for admiration ridicule
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Oct 18, 1:35 AM
    • 21,163 Posts
    • 57,064 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I've had this a few times too, with really good quality stuff.A thank you isn't too much to expect, is it?
    Originally posted by candygirl
    No, it's not too much to expect, imho.
    My local Hospice shop is always very appreciative of my donations.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 11th Oct 18, 9:52 AM
    • 4,113 Posts
    • 38,099 Thanks
    dolly84
    I've always found donations to be well received but I know a couple of people who volunteer at CS's and they've both said that recently they've been unable to take any more donations because they have that much stuff in their back rooms it's becoming a hazard. We really are at saturation point with clothes and people just don't stop buying, imo we should be paying much more for new clothes so that we value them, it takes a phenomenal amount of water to produce jeans for instance (cotton is a thirsty plant) whether they cost 200 or 6 from Primark.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Oct 18, 10:14 AM
    • 21,163 Posts
    • 57,064 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I've always found donations to be well received but I know a couple of people who volunteer at CS's and they've both said that recently they've been unable to take any more donations because they have that much stuff in their back rooms it's becoming a hazard. We really are at saturation point with clothes and people just don't stop buying, imo we should be paying much more for new clothes so that we value them, it takes a phenomenal amount of water to produce jeans for instance (cotton is a thirsty plant) whether they cost 200 or 6 from Primark.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    I think there's a big difference between shops gracefully declining donations because they have too much stuff and accepting donations with no manners whatsoever.

I'd have no problem with the first scenario but big problems with the second.
    It's just plain rude.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Oct 18, 2:04 PM
    • 26,960 Posts
    • 57,420 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Originally posted by candygirl
    The problem is that because volunteers give their own time, many think that's good enough. I'd imagine it would be quite hard to manage volunteers that feel their mere presence is enough generosity. Attitude is everything.

Stopped off in my local Cancer Research and got a brilliant evening dress for 2! After looking online, they go for over 100 new. Now I just need some sort of formal event to show it off.
    Originally posted by K80 Black
    So agree to host the Family Christmas gathering?
    Invite the neighbours for Advent drinks & nibbles?
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Because there's nothing like being stuck in the kitchen in your best party dress!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Oct 18, 2:09 PM
    • 21,163 Posts
    • 57,064 Thanks
    Pollycat
    The problem is that because volunteers give their own time, many think that's good enough. I'd imagine it would be quite hard to manage volunteers that feel their mere presence is enough generosity. Attitude is everything.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Then the training - and there must be some - is inadequate.
    I really wouldn't need to be told that I should say 'thanks' when someone drops off a donation but managers should have that covered for volunteers who need to be told.
    • lily117
    • By lily117 11th Oct 18, 4:08 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 723 Thanks
    lily117
    White Stuff skinny jeans, 2 from Air Ambulance shop. Fit perfectly.
    I no longer donate to the YMCA shop as the woman behind the desk just carries on talking on her mobile phone and barely looks up and grunts "just leave it there!"
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Oct 18, 4:19 PM
    • 21,163 Posts
    • 57,064 Thanks
    Pollycat
    White Stuff skinny jeans, 2 from Air Ambulance shop. Fit perfectly.
    I no longer donate to the YMCA shop as the woman behind the desk just carries on talking on her mobile phone and barely looks up and grunts "just leave it there!"
    Originally posted by lily117
    Then contact YMCA and tell them that their volunteers are not appreciative of donations.
    I think the day of charity shops being run by elderly ladies is long gone.
    Most volunteers are looking to get something on their CVs.
    And if they can't be civil to people helping the charity they've chosen to help, they really should be 'outed'.
    My opinion - nobody needs to agree.
    • Hobsons Choice
    • By Hobsons Choice 11th Oct 18, 6:15 PM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 7,318 Thanks
    Hobsons Choice
    Then contact YMCA and tell them that their volunteers are not appreciative of donations.
    Most volunteers are looking to get something on their CVs.
    And if they can't be civil to people helping the charity they've chosen to help, they really should be 'outed'.
    My opinion - nobody needs to agree.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I absolutely agree Pollycat: Saw a
    different person in the shop today and she was so apologetic when I told her. She said she was going to report him because she'd noticed his surly manner before.
    We shall see.......
    Normal people worry me.
    • osbornbiscuit
    • By osbornbiscuit 11th Oct 18, 8:44 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    osbornbiscuit
    Volunteers
    I think people are under the impression that we go through intensive training to be a volunteer which isn't the case. Yes health and safety, fire and how to lift the heavy bin bags of clothes but customer service no. A lot of the time it is took as read mainly treat other people as you would wish to be treated yourself. Unfortunately in our town volunteers are in short supply or should I say the right ones. We rarely take from the job centre as they don't want to stay. (who wants to go through bin bags of dirty clothing and when I say dirty I mean dirty underpants socks that stink but we have to check!) (yes I do and love the job but I am strange) people come in with the attitude of maybe do an hour and then come back two weeks later and do another hour. In our shop we have volunteers who are autistic or who have mental health problems to help them in society but these do not serve on the till or in the shop. I know that we are not the only ones in the area desperate for volunteers as nearly all have signs in shop windows asking for help. It is hard in this day and age to find the right people but you would think would want to give back but this isn't the case.
    So come all those who adore shopping in charity shops can you spare an hour a week. You might get to spot a bargain before anyone else......
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Oct 18, 9:03 PM
    • 26,960 Posts
    • 57,420 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Then you have clearly never been to Mencap in Shoeburyness. The staff are nice enough, but have yet to catch up with the fact that smoking is no longer legal in the workplace. Some bright spark is having a fag whilst they toil in the back.

If Mencap cannot enforce the basics then it really is a case of <insert ironic but distasteful analogy here>.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Oct 18, 1:34 AM
    • 21,163 Posts
    • 57,064 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I think people are under the impression that we go through intensive training to be a volunteer which isn't the case. Yes health and safety, fire and how to lift the heavy bin bags of clothes but customer service no. A lot of the time it is took as read mainly treat other people as you would wish to be treated yourself. Unfortunately in our town volunteers are in short supply or should I say the right ones. We rarely take from the job centre as they don't want to stay. (who wants to go through bin bags of dirty clothing and when I say dirty I mean dirty underpants socks that stink but we have to check!) (yes I do and love the job but I am strange) people come in with the attitude of maybe do an hour and then come back two weeks later and do another hour. In our shop we have volunteers who are autistic or who have mental health problems to help them in society but these do not serve on the till or in the shop. I know that we are not the only ones in the area desperate for volunteers as nearly all have signs in shop windows asking for help. It is hard in this day and age to find the right people but you would think would want to give back but this isn't the case.
    So come all those who adore shopping in charity shops can you spare an hour a week. You might get to spot a bargain before anyone else......
    Originally posted by osbornbiscuit
    I'm not under that impression at all.
    Manners cost nothing but lack of them can cost the charity shop much in terms of donations. As in my case and also Hobson's Choice.

Then you have clearly never been to Mencap in Shoeburyness. The staff are nice enough, but have yet to catch up with the fact that smoking is no longer legal in the workplace. Some bright spark is having a fag whilst they toil in the back.

If Mencap cannot enforce the basics then it really is a case of <insert ironic but distasteful analogy here>.
    No I haven't been. But I'd hazard a guess that it's in the minority.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Oct 18, 9:42 AM
    • 26,960 Posts
    • 57,420 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I'm not under that impression at all.
    Manners cost nothing but lack of them can cost the charity shop much in terms of donations. As in my case and also Hobson's Choice.

No I haven't been. But I'd hazard a guess that it's in the minority.
    Its always the exception that proves the rule exists in the first place! It was just a real life illustration of what happens when volunteers are left to their own devices, with minimal instruction in statutory and company matters. What might have happened just once quickly becomes the norm as long as individuals use their power. Volunteers need to understand that giving their time does not make them untouchable saints, whilst on duty they represent the charity.

Having said that, most of the chazzer volunteers I meet are lovely people and have kind words for everyone.

• Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 12th Oct 18, 10:49 AM
    • 4,238 Posts
    • 14,439 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    I volunteer regularly, in a different context, and it's horribly difficult managing people who aren't employees under contract. You can ask nicely, but not order. Much harder to change ingrained behaviour when there's no job security or remuneration at stake. Most of the time we have to take whatever help we can get and grit our teeth.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Oct 18, 11:12 AM
    • 21,163 Posts
    • 57,064 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Its always the exception that proves the rule exists in the first place! It was just a real life illustration of what happens when volunteers are left to their own devices, with minimal instruction in statutory and company matters. What might have happened just once quickly becomes the norm as long as individuals use their power. Volunteers need to understand that giving their time does not make them untouchable saints, whilst on duty they represent the charity.

Having said that, most of the chazzer volunteers I meet are lovely people and have kind words for everyone.
    You seemed to be talking about elderly woman specifically - as in quoting that snipped part of my post.
    The things you mention could apply to any group of people or mix of people.

I do agree that almost all charity shop volunteers are great.
    • lily117
    • By lily117 12th Oct 18, 12:59 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 723 Thanks
    lily117
    The person I referred to further up is the manageress. I also agree that most of the local charity shop workers are lovely.
    • Potternerd
    • By Potternerd 12th Oct 18, 6:34 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    Potternerd
    I used to volunteer in a national chain CS; no training except on the till. My slot was at the weekend so loads of donations. I always thanked people for donations, but the manager was quite churlish to people if she was down in the shop. There is a mamouth amount of stock behind the scenes which needs sorting,but I still think staff should be polite. A lot of "volunteers" were just there for a really short time as they were doing community service sentences. I was disappointed that no one including paid staff had any interest in the charity and all in all it was a pretty dispiriting experience volunteering there. I donate anything to the local hospice shop where they are always polite ( and they know my gift aid number because I go so often
    Got a pair or Ugg brown leather biker boots yesterday for 15: a dream of comfort.
    Also recently a Fatface dress for 4, a teeny tiny mason and cash bowl for 50p, gold River Island ankle boots for 99p, and a white H and M shirt exactly what I'd been looking for for 3
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Oct 18, 9:36 PM
    • 8,424 Posts
    • 26,553 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    While it is not easy watching your chick tool up to leave the nest, I have to say we have raised a shrewd young monster when it comes to furnishing.

I had a days leave just as he did (the coincidence!), and strewth. Not even allowed to watch the guests arrive let alone the vows... First furniture charity shop not as hoped, second a complete peach - a Queen Anne style mahogany 1950s bed & mattress in glorious nick & of the bolt-together old-school sort. (So much easier to haul the bits up to his flat.) He then picked out a handsome mirror, also to be delivered. Change from 100!

(I picked up four Clarice Cliff plates of credible & certified lurid colours that someone may feel is just The Thing for Someone Else this Christmas - and the difference in opinion & price will help fund my car repairs.)

Onwards to play hunt the bedside table - and after two laps of the third shop, the lad was still fixed on a nice chest of drawers - so we agreed to collect it.

Then we toured the charity shops of Burnley. Denby, Langley, Lovatts - I had a Wonderful time. I even wandered past a shop with bedding & spotted a vividly red tartan duvet cover & thought I know a son who would love that, texted him & sure enough had to double back to buy it for him (he Will pay me back...)

Finally a pass through Wilcos for shoe polish & his first dinner service (charmingly like our Imperial Blue, but in Wilcos Grey) and we then staggered back to the car. To play one last round of "can you fit that chest of drawers into the back of a Mondeo" even with the back seats down. Which my husband lost, & so got a bus much of the way home. (Whilst lad & I unloaded the furniture & all the chinaware, before I zagged back to the bus station to retrieve husband.)
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 12-10-2018 at 9:38 PM.
    • venison
    • By venison 12th Oct 18, 11:11 PM
    • 2,592 Posts
    • 2,954 Thanks
    venison
    Got DD a Next jacket for work from BHF shop obviously never worn 4.99.
    Looking forward to 2019 after a terrible 2018...onwards and upwards
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,259Posts Today

7,335Users online

Martin's Twitter