Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,901Posts
    • 45,558Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Page 81
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 15th Sep 18, 10:55 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 859 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    I wonder if baked donuts are vegan. VfM do you know please?
    Originally posted by Living proof
    Decided to have a google - this is what I came up with - http://www.unicornlove.com/blog/2013/9/28/can-you-bake-doughnuts-instead-of-frying-them.html

but this one looks better - http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/39732/baked-mini-doughnuts.aspx
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Sep 18, 11:10 PM
    • 26,090 Posts
    • 55,615 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I wonder if baked donuts are vegan. VfM do you know please?
    I confess - I bought the tray for mini-bundts, largely so my niece could play around with decorative optionswithout making her auntie fat in the process . Her mum is not a very OS person so I tend to do the practical / nature / fun stuff with her. This afternoon I had her pressing a sunflower between books, and deflowering some dried lavender. She was delighted when I told her that her little fingers were doing a mighty fine job

Back to the point, it could easily do doughnuts, try this vegan recipe and let me know how it turns out please?

ETA: the items I bought for my niece last week look lovely on her, and my sister has helped herself to one of my chazzer finds from the previous week.
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 15-09-2018 at 11:12 PM.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 15th Sep 18, 11:40 PM
    • 2,916 Posts
    • 8,747 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Bought a Great British Bake Off cook book for £4.00 when we stopped off in Andover, on our way home from Devon.
    Last edited by Gem-gem; 16-09-2018 at 4:39 PM.
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - £500 + £220
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £4096/£6,000 + £220
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 16th Sep 18, 8:21 AM
    • 8,068 Posts
    • 24,584 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    If -anyone- is baking Gugelhupf, I have a panel of informed and determined testers available & will contribute to postage.

The kindly ones routed that tin well away from me and my waist, budget & medical team thank you, while my sons are looking mournful, deprived & (in one, worrying case) pensive. Since he can conjure a sponge to delight even his grandmother let along the Macmillan coffee morning crew [MIL actually a very tough judge], I may just locate a few more Gugelhupf recipes & hunker down.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 16th Sep 18, 1:37 PM
    • 5,738 Posts
    • 24,836 Thanks
    Mirů
    Had a trip to Harrogate yesterday and found time to wander down the street with all the charity shops. Got a Jaegar, BNWT cream pawsh version of a scoop necked, bracelet length sleeved t shirt. Lovely quality and priced at £3.50. Still had the original price tag of £45 on it

(Sorry O/T) Also called into TkMaxx and was surprised at the amount of 'higher end' designer items. Karen Millen clothing, Radley bags, Jaegar coats for e.g. Didn't buy anything but parked outside was a huge truck offloading loads of new stock too so I might just have to go back and have another look soon.
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 16th Sep 18, 2:20 PM
    • 26,090 Posts
    • 55,615 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book a Great British Bake Off cook book for £4.00 when we stopped off in Andover, on our way home from Devon.
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    I don't consider this to be a bargain. I popped into my local BHF earlier and found 4 books that I wanted, 3 of which I doubt I'll see in a chazzer anytime soon, but have P'Inned in hope - at £2 each. That's just too much to pay when there are other places within my radius I can get 4 for £1. BHF has also got some new designs of trolley token key rings in stock. Interestingly they are priced £1.50 - so again I declined to purchase. But I did find a heavy duty chrome wire cutlery tray with silicone at £2 which was a good but (can't find any pics online though).

The new Barnardos next door to it is undergoing essential maintenance so was closed - that's the second time I've noticed this in 3 weeks.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 16th Sep 18, 3:00 PM
    • 26,118 Posts
    • 106,706 Thanks
    candygirl
    I confess - I bought the tray for mini-bundts, largely so my niece could play around with decorative optionswithout making her auntie fat in the process . Her mum is not a very OS person so I tend to do the practical / nature / fun stuff with her. This afternoon I had her pressing a sunflower between books, and deflowering some dried lavender. She was delighted when I told her that her little fingers were doing a mighty fine job

Back to the point, it could easily do doughnuts, try this vegan recipe and let me know how it turns out please?

ETA: the items I bought for my niece last week look lovely on her, and my sister has helped herself to one of my chazzer finds from the previous week.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Aww you're a fab Aunty
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 16th Sep 18, 3:11 PM
    • 4,173 Posts
    • 45,246 Thanks
    Barny1979
    Picked up a few bargains this week, including three Now CD albums, Now 18, 19 and 21 for £1 for the three
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 16th Sep 18, 4:47 PM
    • 2,916 Posts
    • 8,747 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    I don't consider this to be a bargain. I popped into my local BHF earlier and found 4 books that I wanted, 3 of which I doubt I'll see in a chazzer anytime soon, but have P'Inned in hope - at £2 each. That's just too much to pay when there are other places within my radius I can get 4 for £1. BHF has also got some new designs of trolley token key rings in stock. Interestingly they are priced £1.50 - so again I declined to purchase. But I did find a heavy duty chrome wire cutlery tray with silicone at £2 which was a good but (can't find any pics online though).

The new Barnardos next door to it is undergoing essential maintenance so was closed - that's the second time I've noticed this in 3 weeks.
    I know the book isn't bargainof the century but a) it was a book that I wanted b) it is much cheaper than the original price c) it was in excellent condition.
    I will often refuse to buy novels because they are priced too high but with non-fiction books I apply different criteria.
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - £500 + £220
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £4096/£6,000 + £220
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 16th Sep 18, 9:44 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 3,218 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    £1 outlet mini haul, another M&S easy care shirt for DH's work collection (we only iron dress shirts in this house....) and two geeky tops for DSS, who is 12 tomorrow and now wearing small-medium men's clothing as he's over DH shoulder height and he's 6ft

One long sleeved with Minecraft graphics and the other a black t-shirt with 'The Flash' logo from DC comics, DSS impressed with this one referring to it as an 'Evil Sheldon' t-shirt (Big Bang Theory reference....).
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 16th Sep 18, 11:12 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 8,824 Thanks
    Living proof
    Originally posted by Olliebeak1951
    I will have to report back in due course, thank you!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 16th Sep 18, 11:15 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 8,824 Thanks
    Living proof

I am thinking of making some with dehydrated raspberries or maybe raspberry powder with an icing sugar topping, as I don't like chocolate. I know, put me in the asylum now! I will let you know but may not be until October as still processing home grown veg at present.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 16th Sep 18, 11:20 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 8,824 Thanks
    Living proof
    I don't consider this to be a bargain. I popped into my local BHF earlier and found 4 books that I wanted, 3 of which I doubt I'll see in a chazzer anytime soon, but have P'Inned in hope - at £2 each. That's just too much to pay when there are other places within my radius I can get 4 for £1. BHF has also got some new designs of trolley token key rings in stock. Interestingly they are priced £1.50 - so again I declined to purchase.
    I find if I am patient I can find most novels (still unsure about yellow plums by the way) for 25p each and some really good non-fiction both hardback and softback for 50p. The problem is sometimes they have come from a smoking household which is very off-putting.
    • klew356
    • By klew356 18th Sep 18, 8:14 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 1,801 Thanks
    klew356
    I find if I am patient I can find most novels (still unsure about yellow plums by the way) for 25p each and some really good non-fiction both hardback and softback for 50p. The problem is sometimes they have come from a smoking household which is very off-putting.
    i cant cope if they smell dirty or smoky, and i also refuse to pay more than a pound for a book in a CS - hard back etc is different. depends how much you want it
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 18th Sep 18, 8:19 AM
    • 20,702 Posts
    • 55,665 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I know the book isn't bargainof the century but a) it was a book that I wanted b) it is much cheaper than the original price c) it was in excellent condition.
    I will often refuse to buy novels because they are priced too high but with non-fiction books I apply different criteria.
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    I think if you buy something - regardless of where it's from, what the original price was and how much you paid for it - and you think it's a bargain, then it is a bargain.
    • vodkawitch11
    • By vodkawitch11 18th Sep 18, 11:53 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    vodkawitch11
    Monsoon skirt for £3.99 in Heart foundation, however, I found it really sad that winter coats were £20. I couldn`t afford to pay £20 so how on earth do people who are homeless or on the breadline do it. Not really what we donate to charity shops for surely.
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 18th Sep 18, 12:26 PM
    • 4,135 Posts
    • 14,064 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    Prices for clothes in Wimbledon chazzers have gone up a lot since I last browsed there; lots of tops for a tenner and dresses for £15. The hopsice shop still does hardbacks £2, paperbacks £1 and kids books 50p which is good for London and ensures a high turnover.

Although a bit pricier than usual, I indulged in the following:

Grey wool trousers (Monsoon)
    Teal blue cotton v-neck jumper (Sea Salt)
    Teal and red floral summer top (White Stuff)

A fiver each.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 18th Sep 18, 5:36 PM
    • 8,524 Posts
    • 9,657 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Not sure if I'd wear this £240 £9.99 in BHF, so I left it on the rail for now. I can't normally wear red.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 18th Sep 18, 5:46 PM
    • 20,702 Posts
    • 55,665 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Not sure if I'd wear this £240 £9.99 in BHF, so I left it on the rail for now. I can't normally wear red.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    It looked predominantly navy & grey to me.
    Smart jacket if you'd get wear out of it
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 18th Sep 18, 6:11 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 8,824 Thanks
    Living proof
    Had a trip to Harrogate yesterday and found time to wander down the street with all the charity shops. Got a Jaegar, BNWT cream pawsh version of a scoop necked, bracelet length sleeved t shirt. Lovely quality and priced at £3.50. Still had the original price tag of £45 on it
    Originally posted by Mir!
    I am going to Harrogate a week tomorrow and staying overnight so I should have plenty of time to peruse all the CSs. Getting very excited now!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

69Posts Today

2,433Users online

Martin's Twitter