Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,903Posts
    • 45,645Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Page 80
    • klew356
    • By klew356 10th Sep 18, 3:33 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 1,925 Thanks
    klew356
    we actually discussed a trip to morningside as we were also told those CS were the place to go
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 10th Sep 18, 4:17 PM
    • 5,783 Posts
    • 25,048 Thanks
    Mirů
    The Community Shop today had a Lands End, PrimaLoft, lightweight padded jacket, supposedly windproof and shower resistant. Navy background with a Paisley pattern in shades of coral. Was £4.50 but reduced to half price so £2.25. Perfect with dark navy jeans for my trip to the Lakes this week-end . Also, been looking for a pashmina stylee wrap in a very unusual shade of petrol blue for ages....ever since I bought a dress in the M & S end of sale, sale for a silly price. There it was today in Oxfam...just the perfect shade, (I have been carrying round the fabric belt for yonks to get the perfect match!). Of course, being Oxfam it was not exactly cheap, (I normally refuse to pay more than a squid for such an item) but at £2.99 I was very pleased to find exactly what I have been looking for.
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 10th Sep 18, 6:08 PM
    • 26,328 Posts
    • 107,611 Thanks
    candygirl
    I got 3 fab books from the hospice shop for £3.40 , n dropped 2 bags of clothes off
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 10th Sep 18, 9:01 PM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 8,894 Thanks
    kboss2010
    I don't know how to put the quote from someone else but kboss you mention Edinburgh and Aberdeen, any recommendations for Glasgow and the surrounding areas? I'm from just outside Glasgow.

Thanks
    Jewels
    Originally posted by Jewels1207
    Thanks to everyone who replied. Sadly, I don’t know Glasgow as well as the East Coast.

There’s an excellent charity shop in Dunblane called Mary’s Meals if you’re ever passing through, it’s a total rummaging shop but there are some fab bargains to be had in amongst the tat!
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Sep 18, 3:48 PM
    • 20,979 Posts
    • 56,556 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Back in the swing after a couple of weeks holiday.

A Per Una 100% linen dress in a washed out flower pattern in reds, purples, blues and greens. The neckline looked a bit odd but when I got it home I saw that someone had put a couple of stitches in it as it was probably a little too low for them.
    Snip. Snip. And it is perfect.

Didn't bother trying it on in the Air Ambulance shop as it was only the usual £1.00.

A pair of soft-feel leggings in a dogs tooth and hounds tooth pattern.
    Quite striking.
    I bought them to wear in the house but I think they'll look pretty good with a plain black top and ankle boots for a casual evening out.
    Papaya brand from Bluebell wood. £1.00
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Sep 18, 3:24 PM
    • 8,304 Posts
    • 25,979 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    That marvelous man not only lugged home 20 piece of Denby Costwold (utterly stumping his plans to forage further) but had the grace to add a Denby Romance cache-pot to his laden rucksack.

Every piece a treat despite son forecasting that Romance would be dead. Better still, all within acquisition committee rules.

Best, said son found the next two in a series of books he's reading & parted with a magnificent 25 pence for them both. I may yet persuade him that reading real paper books is an affordable pleasure despite the siren lure of Waterstones to his wallet.

Raising MS lads when Amazon & Waterstones are So Cooperative is uphill work.
    • Laredouter
    • By Laredouter 12th Sep 18, 9:20 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    Laredouter
    I am sadly running out of good charity shops now. My beloved Banardos in Wickford has had nothing but worn-out tat for the past month or so. It seems that Sue Ryder may be my only option now.

Anyway, my two most recent Sue Ryder purchases have been:

An off-white Ted Baker rib-knit jumper (BNWT)- £6.95. Didnt think that was too bad since it was £119 originally.
    BNWT Zara dress in a thick, brushed fabric- £3 in the summer sale (despite it being a winter dress)

Since they were the only things apart from books I got for weeks, they are pretty slim pickings. Nice though.

(Please ignore my awful grammar. My apostrophe key is broken on my laptop)
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Sep 18, 9:41 PM
    • 26,696 Posts
    • 56,828 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    That marvelous man not only lugged home 20 piece of Denby Costwold (utterly stumping his plans to forage further) but had the grace to add a Denby Romance cache-pot to his laden rucksack.

Every piece a treat despite son forecasting that Romance would be dead. Better still, all within acquisition committee rules.
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    How do you store so much crockery? Do you live in a mansion?

I had a good session in a lesser-known village chazzer today, finds include:

£1.25

50p

50p

And seven books @30p each
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 12-09-2018 at 9:43 PM.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 13th Sep 18, 9:40 AM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 2,285 Thanks
    bobsa1
    The cs gods have been smiling on me this week in terms of homeware. On Saturday I was in Laura Ashley lusting after some new cushions. At £40 each (less current discount of 30%) they were of course left on the shelf. On Tuesday I found 2 very similar velvet cushions in the cs complete with feather inners for £2.50 each. I would have loved 4 but only 2 available so they were quickly purchased. I then went to the cs that is usually a bit rubbish but on this occasion they had a vintage brass porthole type mirror for £3 I need to check if its brass or brass plated before cleaning but even if unable to clean and I have to spray paint it I was still thrilled
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Sep 18, 8:33 AM
    • 20,979 Posts
    • 56,556 Thanks
    Pollycat
    2 bargains yesterday:
    A M&S 100% linen pink & white rock-stripe ladies shirt, long sleeves with roll-up tab.

A Blue Willi's blue & white very fine striped shirt with 3/4 sleeves with tab detail on the cuff and contrasting blue placket.
    Looked good quality and I've found the exact shirt on Amazon for £127.87.

Both will look great with a couple of pinafore dresses I have.

Both £1.00 Air Ambulance.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 15th Sep 18, 8:48 AM
    • 8,304 Posts
    • 25,979 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    And when I went to look, awed, I found I could only get it in Europe & they won't post here, so you have the additional distinction of a sensational top, for a song, that is uniquely European!

About to had over to Huddersfield where the charity shops last seen were loaded with outfits for Prom. Admirable - you could haul your recalcitrant young man in, & observe him convert himself to a chap of grace & style without your wallet quivering in terror. Some shrewd mamas had also come along, but there appeared to be some sort of face saving anonymity and phonesnaps hard at work.
    Which makes a sort of sense - who wants to rock up looking as if they've spent several hundred pounds when gossip points out the truth of well under 30 before accessories?
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Sep 18, 10:19 AM
    • 20,979 Posts
    • 56,556 Thanks
    Pollycat
    And when I went to look, awed, I found I could only get it in Europe & they won't post here, so you have the additional distinction of a sensational top, for a song, that is uniquely European!
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Aw, thanks.

Thought about you yesterday.
    Saw a set of 6 Manor Green small square dishes - approx 4" x 5" - in the local hospice shop that I thought would be nice for when we have 'picky bits' like different olives, sundried tomatoes etc.
    How much?

£15 for the set!

What would you have done?
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 15th Sep 18, 11:59 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 3,207 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    I've not been in the charity shop where I volunteer for around 10wks (since my leg op) but visited today for a chat with staff.

Spotted a lovely pair of shoes for DGD2 (age10), but unsure of her liking them - need to chat with her or her mum. They'll still be there on Monday, if I want them ! But I did come away with a nifty little garlic press for 30p !
    Originally posted by Olliebeak1951
    Phoned shop on Monday morning and Manageress put them to one side with my name on. Collected on Tuesday . Finally got her to try them on Thursday - fit perfectly and she's highly delighted . Papaya lace-up pumps - black-on-black leopard print - neon pink/orange trim round back of heel. They're size 8 (NOT 7 as I thought) but fit perfectly - she's 10 !
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 15th Sep 18, 2:02 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 9,207 Thanks
    Living proof
    This may be my buy of the month! I was in the local hospice shop looking for kilner jars and my eye caught a sealed box with The Smoking Gun which is a hand-held food smoker. I had only just been reading about smoking some vegetables and sauces in the last couple of days but have never owned a smoker or gun. I thought it was worth the punt at £3 and the ladies behind the till all said, hadn't seen that - would have had it! I have just looked online and the current cost for my new toy is £98! Not that I would have paid anything like that, but I hope next year to be able to smoke my own home-grown paprika, etc.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 15th Sep 18, 2:38 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 9,207 Thanks
    Living proof
    How do you store so much crockery? Do you live in a mansion?

I had a good session in a lesser-known village chazzer today, finds include:

50p

Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Is it a donut maker VfM please? Would like to know as I have one in my collection!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 15th Sep 18, 5:24 PM
    • 8,304 Posts
    • 25,979 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    £15 for the set!

What would you have done?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Inspected every piece carefully and decided that once I get The Drawer unstuck that I probably already have a very similar set, 4 big flanked by 4 half-size, all rectangular but with a slightly octagonal sense at the corners. I am explaining it dreadfully - but it was my grandmother's, which is why I am being very cautious about opening the drawer it has got stuck in.

If you get a hysterical tear-stained pm, please go back & acquire same that I may continue to honour the beloved lady's memory?!

Didn't get to Huddersfield - had to take son off fitness wear shopping to his exacting but vague requirements. Ended up in Sports Direct with my metaphorical tail switching & my snarl muted. They have nothing to measure feet with and not even a tape measure for the waist. He now has a PE kit of his own devising and happened to walk past a huge display of hi vis gear reinforcing my suggestion that it is considered sensible in the fitness community to not die at the hands of a motorist who isn't paying attention...

Olliebeak1951 - isn't it wonderful when staff do go that extra distance for you & the delight echoes around villages?!

Living proof - the gadget that "produces cold smoke, which allows it to be used for any kind of food or liquid. Operated by just four AA batteries (included) with an efficient, low noise motor, this smoker infuses anything from chicken and steak to salads, chocolate, and even drinks with cool smoke for unique flavor sensations. Simply load your choice of wood chips, tea leaves, herbs, or spices into the smoking chamber, turn it on, light a match or lighter, and add the smoke where you want it with the nozzle extender hose."? I've heard of smoking things with wood chippings but tea leaves & spices? Happy experimentation in time for Christmas!
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 15-09-2018 at 6:22 PM. Reason: Delight & awe!
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 15th Sep 18, 7:51 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 3,207 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    Is it a donut maker VfM please? Would like to know as I have one in my collection!
    Originally posted by Living proof
    I was thinking perhaps a 'mini-bundt tin' - now I'm completely flummoxed !
    • Bigjenny
    • By Bigjenny 15th Sep 18, 9:26 PM
    • 548 Posts
    • 5,979 Thanks
    Bigjenny
    Think its a doughnut tin
    https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/wilton-doughnut-tin-12-holes/625682-1000?glCountry=GB&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI59Cpt-u93QIV7Z3tCh24xQt3EAQYAyABEgLWRPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 15th Sep 18, 10:02 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 3,207 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    I didn't even know that you could 'bake' doughnuts ................. thought they were all 'deep fried' - learn summat new every day !
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 15th Sep 18, 10:24 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 9,207 Thanks
    Living proof
    I didn't even know that you could 'bake' doughnuts ................. thought they were all 'deep fried' - learn summat new every day !
    Originally posted by Olliebeak1951
    I wonder if baked donuts are vegan. VfM do you know please?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,417Posts Today

8,428Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin