Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,902Posts
    • 45,651Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Page 71
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 11th Aug 18, 10:26 AM
    • 4,291 Posts
    • 29,604 Thanks
    tessie bear
    very surprised to hear no b and h lurking amongst those top drawer perfumes....an oversight

no attention taken here of washing instruction labels they all get the one hour in my machine

I am buying dresses at the mo....my fav shop cr clearance everything 1 or2 or 3 quid has loads of lovely summer dresses in....also outside our british heart was a big basket of cake baking stuff...a make beginning with w which I cant remember I got fairy cake papers/spatula/cutters there were more technical bits for proper cake makes with n honesty box 20p a pop

lovely sounding watch
    on the brink...
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 11th Aug 18, 3:39 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 5,623 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    I've just bought a Monsoon fully lined cotton summer skirt for £2.50 from the local hospice shop. I should get some wear out of it this year, and there's always next year
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 11th Aug 18, 6:14 PM
    • 8,943 Posts
    • 10,357 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Salvation Army, trousers were £3 now £1.50, so I grabbed them.

Some time ago I got Vol 2 of an old building/joinery book for 75p from BHF. How excited was I to see Vol 1 and 3 on the shelf! THREE QUID EACH!! They stayed on the shelf. I might have a word next time I'm in and see if I can negotiate them down.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 11th Aug 18, 6:40 PM
    • 4,902 Posts
    • 45,651 Thanks
    Floss
    I found 3 lovely scarves in my local BHF shop...
    #1 bnwt M&S £2.99
    #2 Primarni £1.99
    #3 bnwt LK Bennett narrow silky knit £1.99
    • Frith
    • By Frith 11th Aug 18, 7:19 PM
    • 4,816 Posts
    • 45,580 Thanks
    Frith
    Sainsbury Top - white with tiny red feather pattern and broderie anglais shoulder panels

Organic cotton purple top with pleats

Laura Ashley grey top with stylised bird plus sequin embellishments

Hollister dip dyed style t shirt for son2.

Haynes chicken manual (for the benefit of my hens)

All for £15
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 11th Aug 18, 7:31 PM
    • 8,433 Posts
    • 26,598 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Himself strolled back in with a small plastic bag of calligraphy dripping pens and a box of William Mitchell no 2 slip on reservoirs.

Having counted up how many were in the box of reservoirs alone, the bag was worth £40 before adding the pens inks & nibs & he paid £7 for it.

Oh, and one of the inks retails at £8 as well.

I'm eyeballing the youngest and thinking the ability to perform basic calligraphy sells at around a quid a name for fancy wedding invitations...
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Aug 18, 10:06 AM
    • 8,433 Posts
    • 26,598 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    calligraphy dripping pens
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    y'know, some days the <<out-of-tea>> error is trickier to spot than others...

Adds a certain something to potential wedding invitations though!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Aug 18, 6:05 PM
    • 27,031 Posts
    • 57,552 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I'm enjoying catching up on this thread, now my holiday is over. Whilst away, I was faced with goods costing a lot of money but felt a small beam of happiness that with the exception of shoes, much of the wardrobe I actually wear day-to-day has been chazzer-sourced and looks anything but . Sister has been wearing the Phase Eight blouse I bought and received many compliments as a result so I'm pleased to have shared the love.
    Popped into the Haven Hospice in Rayleigh on a whim
    Originally posted by Laredouter
    Had an absolutely bumper day today! I wanted to go into Rayleigh again to have a look around and I got so lucky!
    I happened to drive through Rayleigh High Street late yesterday afternoon and it occurred to me that I had no wish to stop on a chat-trawl at all, because - aside from the fact I was all dollied up for a ball the West End at the time! - with the exceptional the phabshop I find the chazzers there ridiculously priced.

Got a fab mini halogen cooker for £5 virtually new, something I've been looking for for ages as they take up a lot less space then the full sized ones.
    Originally posted by hollydays
    I bought mine for £16 (heavily discounted) from Robert Dyas over 5 years ago - and it has still not been used. I must have one of the best-equipped yet unused kitchen the the south
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Laredouter
    • By Laredouter 14th Aug 18, 1:25 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    Laredouter
    I am inclined to agree VfM4meplse; the Dog's Trust and some of the other shops had nothing of interest to me, and the prices were really high. £7 for a grubby tshirt just because it is designer? No chance

I had an opportunity to head into Rayleigh today and declined as I guess I do feel a little conned. My only consolation is that I will get a lot of use out of the things that I bought as they will go with the vast majority of my existing wardrobe I am still very pleased with my silk blouse though because it is perfect.

I think I will stick to my beloved local Banardo's and Sue Ryder in the future, though I am sadly forced to go up to Southend on Wednesday, so will no doubt kill time in the charity shops
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Aug 18, 9:14 AM
    • 27,031 Posts
    • 57,552 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I think I will stick to my beloved local Banardo's and Sue Ryder in the future, though I am sadly forced to go up to Southend on Wednesday, so will no doubt kill time in the charity shops
    Bereft of decent chazzers

Head slightly out of the main town centre, and it's a different matter . The only reason I go into Southend itself is for the library (a good reason, but unfortunately the recent change means access to less books.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 14th Aug 18, 2:12 PM
    • 10,041 Posts
    • 46,823 Thanks
    euronorris
    I picked up a shopping trolley on wheels last week, for £3. I fought getting this item for a long time, but haven't been able to drive lately so am walking to and from work everyday (1.2 miles each way) and needed something to help lug heavier/awkward shopping back.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 14th Aug 18, 8:24 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,263 Thanks
    robin58
    Bereft of decent chazzers

Head slightly out of the main town centre, and it's a different matter . The only reason I go into Southend itself is for the library (a good reason, but unfortunately the recent change means access to less books.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Actually not totally true. There is a way around it.

You can still join the Essex Library service. I rejoined the Essex Library service, ironically in Rayleigh, and keep your Southend Brough account. So you can benefit from both,

Unfortunately you can't get stuff sent to any of the libraries in the Southend area.

But you can pick it up in the closer towns of Rayleigh, Hadleigh and Rochford where Essex Library's are. Renew them online, then when finished with, return them to any of the said above.

Plus being a member of Essex Libraries gets you access to a bigger selection on the app Borrowbox with 7000+ books, 2000+ audio books.

VfM4meplse , as you have a car it's ideal for you.

But with the amount of books you buy, you seem to be a library on your own.
    Last edited by robin58; 14-08-2018 at 8:56 PM.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Aug 18, 10:58 PM
    • 27,031 Posts
    • 57,552 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Actually not totally true. There is a way around it.

You can still join the Essex Library service. I rejoined the Essex Library service, ironically in Rayleigh, and keep your Southend Brough account. So you can benefit from both
    Originally posted by robin58
    Brilliant advice, thank you! Access to Chigwell, Debden and Loughton libraries (coincidentally good chazzer-haunts) restored

But with the amount of books you buy, you seem to be a library on your own.
    Originally posted by robin58
    To which I added another 3 for £1 today. Plus a very lovely double-breasted and fully lined navy blue / white polka dot spring / autumn jacket for £3.50. I can't find the exact style online, the nearest is this (mine is shorter though):

• robin58
    • By robin58 15th Aug 18, 12:45 AM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,263 Thanks
    robin58
    Glad to be of service.

Join Essex Library locally. They are more sympathetic because of the chaos caused by Southend splitting. Just take proof of your Essex address.

Will look out for you in your polka dot jacket when I visit Southend HS or HCR.
    Last edited by robin58; 15-08-2018 at 2:05 AM.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • SuperMoose
    • By SuperMoose 15th Aug 18, 6:08 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    SuperMoose
    I love reading this thread and hearing about people's bargains but haven't had anything to contribute until now.

I got a 100ml bottle of Penhaligon's Cornubia Eau de Toilette which currently sells for £98 for 50p It's probably been sprayed once if that.
    Also the matching talcum powder unopened for 50p
    Please put out food and water for the birds
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 15th Aug 18, 6:23 PM
    • 5,813 Posts
    • 25,187 Thanks
    Mirů
    I love reading this thread and hearing about people's bargains but haven't had anything to contribute until now.

I got a 100ml bottle of Penhaligon's Cornubia Eau de Toilette which currently sells for £98 for 50p It's probably been sprayed once if that.
    Originally posted by SuperMoose
    Wow...just wow! . Love Penhaligon stuff.
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 15th Aug 18, 7:41 PM
    • 4,291 Posts
    • 29,604 Thanks
    tessie bear
    well done on the perfume...wow what a lovely bargain xx
    on the brink...
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 15th Aug 18, 9:51 PM
    • 8,943 Posts
    • 10,357 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Originally posted by SuperMoose
    The shop probably didn't recognise the brand.

They always price up the premium stuff. Probably would have been £4.99 each if B & H.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 15th Aug 18, 10:54 PM
    • 1,451 Posts
    • 9,385 Thanks
    Living proof
    People who buy B & H as a gift should definitely give a goat to a deserving cause. It has nothing whatsoever to recommend it.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 16th Aug 18, 8:28 AM
    • 4,120 Posts
    • 38,149 Thanks
    dolly84
    A while ago in a fairly expensive gift shop in an upmarket seaside town I saw some lovely driftwood gifts, one of them was a piece of flat driftwood with a tiny cottage sat on it - it looked so lovely and I was very taken with it but it was £30. Whilst still on holiday in that area I found a piece of driftwood on the beach and brought it home and started looking for a little cottage to go on it, the CS came up dry - lots of Lilliput lane but they weren't right, lots on ebay but too expensive. This week I found it - Tremar pottery, tiny cottage called Moorland Cottage for £2.50. It always turns up.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,006Posts Today

6,500Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: On Brexit, which is more important to you right now certainty or outcome. Ie would you prefe? https://t.co/En38QfRh3o

• Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Follow Martin