Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,903Posts
    • 45,648Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Page 63
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Jul 18, 7:59 PM
    • 20,981 Posts
    • 56,558 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I haven!!!8217;t recognised a single of these handbag manufacturers yet! I!!!8217;ve never understood handbag love and prefer my pockets.

Today - grey t shirt with white owl motifs
    Originally posted by Frith
    What are pockets?
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 13th Jul 18, 8:17 PM
    • 1,227 Posts
    • 9,256 Thanks
    wondercollie
    I haven!!!8217;t recognised a single of these handbag manufacturers yet! I!!!8217;ve never understood handbag love and prefer my pockets.

Today - grey t shirt with white owl motifs
    Radley isn't that well know in my part of Canada.

Coach used to be a great label when the bags were made in North America. Lately, it's lost a lot of it's cachet due to being made in China and the fabric bags (which are quiet loud and gaudy). If you're going to buy Coach look for the leather ones. The fabric ones are loved by teenagers because they think they are designer, which in a way they are but the bag needs to be leather for the purists. They also make nice wallets and small accessories.
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 13th Jul 18, 8:57 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 3,348 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    Two lovely floaty sleeveless, shirt type tops in BHF, Welwyn.
    One cream V neck satin effect, Dorothy Perkins, new with tags, originally £22, paid £4.49, the other a teal, grey and white patterned one with more of a thin jersey fabric across the back, Rocha John Rocha line for Debenhams I think, also new with tags, originally £28, paid £5.49.

Welwyn prices always a bit higher than Hatfield but the choice and quality especially for adult clothes is better. Hatfield is a rather small university town so outs a bout of an oddity lol
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Jul 18, 10:20 PM
    • 3,970 Posts
    • 63,483 Thanks
    silvasava
    Bag dropped off for the Sally Army - some nice items on the rails but sadly not my size
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Jul 18, 2:58 AM
    • 26,780 Posts
    • 57,015 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    What are pockets?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Things that ruin the appearance of a good outfit
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Jul 18, 7:37 AM
    • 20,981 Posts
    • 56,558 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Things that ruin the appearance of a good outfit
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Absolutely.

Especially when stuffed with things that belong in your handbag.

Bought a Per Una unlined minky-brown short (hip length) mac, a bit similar to the Aigle photo up-thread but without the straps/buckles on the sleeves.
    £1.00 Air Ambulance.

A sun hat, in pink/turquoise with a lovely flower on. Will roll up so can stuff it in my bag. Label cut out but looks expensive, a bit Ted Baker-ish. £2.00 Age UK.
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 14th Jul 18, 7:39 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 5,336 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Absolutely.

Especially when stuffed with things that belong in your handbag.

Bought a Per Una unlined minky-brown short (hip length) mac, a bit similar to the Aigle photo up-thread but without the straps/buckles on the sleeves.
    £1.00 Air Ambulance.

A sun hat, in pink/turquoise with a lovely flower on. Will roll up so can stuff it in my bag. Label cut out but looks expensive, a bit Ted Baker-ish. £2.00 Age UK.
    I'm in the can't-manage-without-a-handbag team, OH always wonders what I put in it but then asks if I can put things in for him
    Nov GC £80.34/£200
    NSD target: Nov 1/15
    Bring Your Lunch to Work Target Nov 1/15
    £1 a day: Nov £44.75/£45
    Tesco CC Aug 18 £10,151.56 £9950.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 £4321.80 £3968.77 0% til Feb 20
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Jul 18, 9:03 AM
    • 26,780 Posts
    • 57,015 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I'm feeling a bit chaz-deprived this morning (even though in truth I am anything but, I've got loads of stuff ). So I think I can predict where I'll be heading this afternoon
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • PositiveBalance
    • By PositiveBalance 14th Jul 18, 1:04 PM
    • 831 Posts
    • 4,230 Thanks
    PositiveBalance
    Hi everyone!

I've just discovered this thread.

Lordy, but some of you know how to find a bargain!

I don't think can beat some of you on anything I've found and some of you would probably DIE at the prices I've paid for some things in a charity shop, but as Pollycat said earlier in the thread 'a bargain is a bargain if you're happy with the price and you really want the item - regardless of how much you've paid and where you bought it from.'

I'm still in 'get rid of debt' mode so I don't venture out into charity shops that often (too much of a temptation to spend!) but I recently dropped into a charity shop that had a 50% off sale on (really, no really, I didn't know this was a thing in a CS! ) but I got a very cute small wicker handbag with bamboo handles for £1.95 (perfect for this weather) and a Prada purse for £2.00 (not sure that it's real but it is big and will hold my stupid number of loyalty cards, so I'm happy! (Won't be using it until my current one dies but since I had to pay £15 for that, it's well worth tucking my £2 bargain away until then!)

I also got a Yankee Candle plate and shade for £8.99 that should be about £25 - £30 looking at the website. The colours match a friend's decor, so I'm tucking that away for a present for her.

But my best bargain...and the price I paid will HORRIFY some of you () was a brand new pair of Doc Marten boots in my size at a time when I DESPERATELY needed some new boots as my current day-to-day ones are falling apart and I was going to buy them full-price as they apparently last forever (which would have seriously hurt my finances, but I'm damned if I buy cheap and buy twice).

Take a bow, small BHF for selling them to me for £49.99 instead of £125.

(I'm still breaking them in, though...that's a bit of a task with DMs!)
    Original debt to source: £11,640.02; debt repaid: £6771.01 (58%); remaining debt: £5069.01
    0% CC balance: £4999.67 now
    £2799.40 (44% repaid)
    Emergency Fund (#187): £500/£500
    Terrimundi: fleeced!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 14th Jul 18, 1:15 PM
    • 4,781 Posts
    • 45,249 Thanks
    Frith
    I!!!8217;m sure my hens are traumatised from the terrible line of my cords this morning !
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Jul 18, 1:30 PM
    • 20,981 Posts
    • 56,558 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Hi everyone!

I've just discovered this thread.

Lordy, but some of you know how to find a bargain!

I don't think can beat some of you on anything I've found and some of you would probably DIE at the prices I've paid for some things in a charity shop, but as Pollycat said earlier in the thread 'a bargain is a bargain if you're happy with the price and you really want the item - regardless of how much you've paid and where you bought it from.'

I'm still in 'get rid of debt' mode so I don't venture out into charity shops that often (too much of a temptation to spend!) but I recently dropped into a charity shop that had a 50% off sale on (really, no really, I didn't know this was a thing in a CS! ) but I got a very cute small wicker handbag with bamboo handles for £1.95 (perfect for this weather) and a Prada purse for £2.00 (not sure that it's real but it is big and will hold my stupid number of loyalty cards, so I'm happy! (Won't be using it until my current one dies but since I had to pay £15 for that, it's well worth tucking my £2 bargain away until then!)

I also got a Yankee Candle plate and shade for £8.99 that should be about £25 - £30 looking at the website. The colours match a friend's decor, so I'm tucking that away for a present for her.

But my best bargain...and the price I paid will HORRIFY some of you () was a brand new pair of Doc Marten boots in my size at a time when I DESPERATELY needed some new boots as my current day-to-day ones are falling apart and I was going to buy them full-price as they apparently last forever (which would have seriously hurt my finances, but I'm damned if I buy cheap and buy twice).

Take a bow, small BHF for selling them to me for £49.99 instead of £125.

(I'm still breaking them in, though...that's a bit of a task with DMs!)
    Originally posted by PositiveBalance
    Welcome to the thread.

That's not a bad price, although I do have a pair of flowered ones (bought from the local flea market for £2.00, but that was at least 30 years ago ).
    I'm a DM fan myself so I feel your pain in breaking them in.
    The most comfortable pair I've ever had is Pamela Chelsea boots.
    There's several pairs on eBay right now that I'm not looking at. Honest.

I!!!8217;m sure my hens are traumatised from the terrible line of my cords this morning !
    I hope I didn't offend you with my comment about pockets.

It's just that I'm a handbag fan and use a different one every day.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 14th Jul 18, 1:55 PM
    • 4,781 Posts
    • 45,249 Thanks
    Frith
    Pollycat - no - I wear trousers and tunic tops, year round! I think of handbags and think of Maggie Thatcher. :-D
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • PositiveBalance
    • By PositiveBalance 14th Jul 18, 2:02 PM
    • 831 Posts
    • 4,230 Thanks
    PositiveBalance
    Welcome to the thread.

That's not a bad price, although I do have a pair of flowered ones (bought from the local flea market for £2.00, but that was at least 30 years ago ).
    I'm a DM fan myself so I feel your pain in breaking them in.
    The most comfortable pair I've ever had is Pamela Chelsea boots.
    There's several pairs on eBay right now that I'm not looking at. Honest.
    £2.00? Now that's a decent price, even then!

I clearly need lessons from the people on this thread!

Mine are bog standard black ones designed to go with everything so I'm hoping to wear them All The Time once they stop giving me blisters!

Enjoy your not looking!
    Original debt to source: £11,640.02; debt repaid: £6771.01 (58%); remaining debt: £5069.01
    £2799.40 (44% repaid)
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 14th Jul 18, 2:54 PM
    • 4,282 Posts
    • 29,560 Thanks
    tessie bear
    no handbag my goodness ive got loads love them tend to use a different one everyday to match my outfit

lovely buy on the dm boots...hope your breaking them in I had a look today got a nice viyella skirt for a quid will look nice with boots in the winter

hope everyone is finding some nice bits
    on the brink...
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 14th Jul 18, 4:13 PM
    • 5,786 Posts
    • 25,066 Thanks
    Mirů
    Another handbag fan here - would be embarrassed to count 'em

An early morning trip to the monthly hospice 'stock clearance' sale was very disappointing today.....well washed and worn out Primark stuff at a similar price to new Primark stuff.....pfftf to that!

An odd thing....called into the BHF shop on my way home and spotted a pair of very nice 'brand new', (according to the BHF label) Hobbs ankle grazer trousers in a stone colour and priced at £19.50. They had the Hobbs swing tickets still attached but clearly had been worn, as evidenced by the creases at the top of the legs and behind the knees!! Very odd. Not that I would have paid that much if they had been pristine anyhoo though.....just intrigued me!
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • Laredouter
    • By Laredouter 14th Jul 18, 7:32 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    Laredouter
    I went to Chelmsford on Wednesday, and though I said I was on a no-buy I was a bit naughty and got a couple of pieces

A pair of taupey-coloured linen Betty Jackson Black trousers with a paper bag (?) waist and a wide leg- £7.99. These are brand new with all of the tags on them. Tbh I didn't think I was cool enough to pull these off so when I tried them on I was pleasantly surprised

A white, long sleeved The White Company top- £2.99. This is the softest thing I have ever worn so I am so happy with it. This would probably look really nice with the trousers tbh.

I'm going to try to avoid charity shops for the rest of the month
    • Laredouter
    • By Laredouter 14th Jul 18, 7:35 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    Laredouter
    Miro, I do wonder about some people's definition of brand new sometimes
    • PositiveBalance
    • By PositiveBalance 14th Jul 18, 8:44 PM
    • 831 Posts
    • 4,230 Thanks
    PositiveBalance
    no handbag my goodness ive got loads love them tend to use a different one everyday to match my outfit
    Originally posted by tessie bear

I doubt you are the only one who has quite a few! *Shamefaced cough*

lovely buy on the dm boots...hope your breaking them in I had a look today got a nice viyella skirt for a quid will look nice with boots in the winter

hope everyone is finding some nice bits
    Originally posted by tessie bear

Thank you! I was really stressing as my old ones were falling apart and couldn't really afford some new ones so I was stressing about their replacements a little bit. Imagine that I then walk into a charity shop and see a pair in both the colour I wanted and in my size sat in the glass case at a price I could afford!

This was just before the hot spell, though, so I still need to break them in. I had better get on with it before the weather breaks properly and I need to wear them out and about!
    £2799.40 (44% repaid)
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Jul 18, 9:36 PM
    • 20,981 Posts
    • 56,558 Thanks
    Pollycat

Thank you! I was really stressing as my old ones were falling apart and couldn't really afford some new ones so I was stressing about their replacements a little bit. Imagine that I then walk into a charity shop and see a pair in both the colour I wanted and in my size sat in the glass case at a price I could afford!

his was just before the hot spell, though, so I still need to break them in. I had better get on with it before the weather breaks properly and I need to wear them out and about!
    Originally posted by PositiveBalance
    They simply had your name on them.
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 14th Jul 18, 10:03 PM
    • 10,161 Posts
    • 16,593 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    Perhaps the creased Hobbs trousers were made like that. I've seen similar in "proper" shops, alongside the ones with torn knees (and even more ghastly totally shredded legs) - apparently it's fashionable to look like you haven't got (a) two ha'pence to rub together, and/or (b) any sense of decorum!

I've been lucky with outerwear recently... discovered a penchant for Regatta rainproof jackets since abandoning hope that those packaway ones will actually work. Too many times pulling off the hood after being out in a shower to find my hair in rats tails and soaking wet.

I found a summer weight one in a Hospice shop a couple of weeks ago for £4.50, that has been really useful already. Then the other day in a Barnardos that sells all clothing for £1.99 I found a heavier one that looked brand new, and for £1.99 I had to have it. So I'm kitted out for all seasons now for £6.49 .

The funny thing is, they are both Regatta but the first one is size 12 and the other is 16, and they both fit me fine. I'd recommend trying before you buy with that brand as it seems quite variable.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,963Posts Today

8,442Users online

Martin's Twitter