Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,903Posts
    • 45,646Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Page 61
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 7th Jul 18, 10:42 PM
    • 26,760 Posts
    • 56,972 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I did succumb to a Phase Eight blouse for 2 - although can confidently predict that I'll never wear it (I fully expect it to go AWOL from my wardrobe the next time my sister comes to visit).
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Gone already, that took less than 24 hours

25p each. CHSS
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    Outside of Edinburgh, Scottish chazzers are very reasonably priced
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Smoosh
    • By Smoosh 7th Jul 18, 10:58 PM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 12,267 Thanks
    Smoosh
    We have a 1 clearance outlet for a local hospice a few minutes down the road. I used to go all the time a couple of years go, but stopped, but I've been the last 3 Saturdays in a row and got some great finds!

A blue and white striped Joules sweatshirt.
    High waisted floaty burgundy and white floral New Look shorts, BNWT.
    A black and white, almost knit-style, Topshop skirt.
    A light pink Next sweatshirt with tie details on the bottom.
    A pretty floral Warehouse t shirt.
    A silky floral black, blue and green strappy Red Herring top.
    A black Quiz dress with gorgeous pink and red floral embroidery.
    A simple patterned black and white strappy style vest from Topshop.
    A pair of dark wash Abercrombie and Fitch skinny jeans.
    2 pairs of Hollister skinny jeans, one light wash and one a bit darker with ripped knees.
    A lightweight pink New Look jumper with cute grey polka dot embroidery.
    A light linen style pastel blue Dorothy Perkins shirt with silver buttons.

Today I also saw a gorgeous (fake) fur coat, originally Dorothy Perkins. So tempted to go back and get it!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Jul 18, 8:11 AM
    • 20,979 Posts
    • 56,557 Thanks
    Pollycat
    We have a 1 clearance outlet for a local hospice a few minutes down the road. I used to go all the time a couple of years go, but stopped, but I've been the last 3 Saturdays in a row and got some great finds!

A blue and white striped Joules sweatshirt.
    High waisted floaty burgundy and white floral New Look shorts, BNWT.
    A black and white, almost knit-style, Topshop skirt.
    A light pink Next sweatshirt with tie details on the bottom.
    A pretty floral Warehouse t shirt.
    A silky floral black, blue and green strappy Red Herring top.
    A black Quiz dress with gorgeous pink and red floral embroidery.
    A simple patterned black and white strappy style vest from Topshop.
    A pair of dark wash Abercrombie and Fitch skinny jeans.
    2 pairs of Hollister skinny jeans, one light wash and one a bit darker with ripped knees.
    A lightweight pink New Look jumper with cute grey polka dot embroidery.
    A light linen style pastel blue Dorothy Perkins shirt with silver buttons.

Today I also saw a gorgeous (fake) fur coat, originally Dorothy Perkins. So tempted to go back and get it!
    Originally posted by Smoosh
    Why didn't you buy it there and then?
    Go back now!

Not had a bargain for ages (but I have been on holiday for a couple of weeks).
    Yesterday, I went to the city and bought:
    a Victoria's Secret 'PINK' strappy dress in fluorescent colours. Perfect for the beach. 3.99. No idea how much it would have cost new but their bras are 20+. From BHF

A linen mix sleeveless dress in white with tropical flowers & leaves pattern. This had the brand label cut out and the care label too. Might be Per Una. It's a size too big but it will be easy to seam it down and I'll shorten it too. Was 4.99 but she let me have it for 2.50 as we chatted about alterations. Cancer Research

An as-new Signare shopper-style bag in a tapestry material with a lovely poppy design. 3.00. Local charity shop. These retail about 15.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=signare+tote+bags&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=u niv&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjy0qir-I7cAhVkBcAKHeLuDoAQsAQI9wI&biw=1366&bih=631

In BHF they had a last season's Next linen mix dress that originally retailed at 26. They wanted 10.99 for it. I declined.
    My sister managed to get me one on her VIP Next sale slot for 13.00.
    • Smoosh
    • By Smoosh 8th Jul 18, 10:16 AM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 12,267 Thanks
    Smoosh
    Why didn't you buy it there and then?
    Go back now!

Not had a bargain for ages (but I have been on holiday for a couple of weeks).
    Yesterday, I went to the city and bought:
    a Victoria's Secret 'PINK' strappy dress in fluorescent colours. Perfect for the beach. 3.99. No idea how much it would have cost new but their bras are 20+. From BHF

A linen mix sleeveless dress in white with tropical flowers & leaves pattern. This had the brand label cut out and the care label too. Might be Per Una. It's a size too big but it will be easy to seam it down and I'll shorten it too. Was 4.99 but she let me have it for 2.50 as we chatted about alterations. Cancer Research

An as-new Signare shopper-style bag in a tapestry material with a lovely poppy design. 3.00. Local charity shop. These retail about 15.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=signare+tote+bags&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=u niv&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjy0qir-I7cAhVkBcAKHeLuDoAQsAQI9wI&biw=1366&bih=631

In BHF they had a last season's Next linen mix dress that originally retailed at 26. They wanted 10.99 for it. I declined.
    My sister managed to get me one on her VIP Next sale slot for 13.00.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I think I'm going to pop in today and see if they've still got it! I'm hoping it might still be there as it's definitely not coat weather!

You got a real bargain with the Pink dress. I have some Pink clothes (bought from the shop, never been lucky enough to find any in a CS) and you're looking at over 30 For a pair of gym shorts!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Jul 18, 10:23 AM
    • 20,979 Posts
    • 56,557 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I think I'm going to pop in today and see if they've still got it! I'm hoping it might still be there as it's definitely not coat weather!

You got a real bargain with the Pink dress. I have some Pink clothes (bought from the shop, never been lucky enough to find any in a CS) and you're looking at over 30 For a pair of gym shorts!
    Originally posted by Smoosh
    Hope it's still there for you.

Had heard of Victoria's Secret but not PINK. It's really vivid, perfect for holidays.

Originally posted by Pollycat
    Re this ^^^^
    Clearly not unused as I've just been through the pockets and found a 50p.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 8th Jul 18, 1:15 PM
    • 8,833 Posts
    • 10,163 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    That was their "outlet" shop, everything 99p (bric-a-brac 49p). Their city centre shop (the one with the Aga, plastic grass on the floor, stained glass windows and wood panelled walls with floral wallpaper above) isn't nearly so reasonable.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 9th Jul 18, 11:25 AM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 8,895 Thanks
    kboss2010
    Himself has just lugged back an IKEA rug. New, 39, ours for 15 and currently on the front path being hoovered & washed, looking distinctly exotic on the the grey flags. Valby Ruta, I think and very charming in person whereas a bit busy on screen....
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    I love that Ikea do actual unique Persian rugs for about 1/2 the price of antique dealers. We got two for the price of 1!
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 9th Jul 18, 11:26 AM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 8,895 Thanks
    kboss2010
    Gone already, that took less than 24 hours

Depends where you go. I used to get bargains galore from the ones on Dalry & Gorgie! I once got a 400 ski jacket for 5!
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 9th Jul 18, 11:36 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 5,334 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Im in Wales. I do sometimes have a bargain when our local hospice shop reduces stuff to 1 but lots of the other stuff is priced very high. I have just got a lovely cardigan on that rail. I am envious of others' bargains tho.
    Originally posted by cbsexec
    I don't usually get any of the super-cheap bargains some people do, but I'm happy paying 4 for a skirt which would have been 25 new, I know I'll get loads of wear out of it, plus I got it from the only charity shop in walking distance, so no transport or parking costs.

You can get much better bargains in the town centre, where pretty well a whole street is charity shops, but I'm staying away from town and trying not to spend money, on the other hand I live very close to a supermarket and often pop in on the evenings and manage to buy nearly all of my fruit and veg, meat fish and bread YS so it's swings and roundabouts for me
    Nov GC 80.34/200
    NSD target: Nov 1/15
    Bring Your Lunch to Work Target Nov 1/15
    1 a day: Nov 44.75/45
    Tesco CC Aug 18 10,151.56 9950.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 4321.80 3968.77 0% til Feb 20
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 9th Jul 18, 1:49 PM
    • 12,815 Posts
    • 177,109 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    A beast quest book for a grandson for 50p
    2 x beautiful fringed scarves one in grey and silver, the other in shades of green and gold for 50p each

and

A DRESS!!! I haven't owned a dress in 30 years but I found a really pretty summer dress from Next for 4.99 in the BHF shop and in a moment of madness bought it!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Jul 18, 3:33 PM
    • 26,760 Posts
    • 56,972 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Depends where you go. I used to get bargains galore from the ones on Dalry & Gorgie! I once got a 400 ski jacket for 5!
    Originally posted by kboss2010
    I'm starting to see why her Majesty takes a summer holiday in Scotland

A DRESS!!! I haven't owned a dress in 30 years but I found a really pretty summer dress from Next for 4.99 in the BHF shop and in a moment of madness bought it!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    True madness would be to not wear it
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • whitesatin
    • By whitesatin 9th Jul 18, 3:43 PM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 5,794 Thanks
    whitesatin
    I picked up a great wooden toy work bench, complete with lots of tools and add on bits for 15. It will keep my grandchildren amused for hours.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 9th Jul 18, 3:52 PM
    • 8,328 Posts
    • 26,134 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Not wanting to sound unduly pessimistic, but you do have a first aid kit, cold packs and general treatments for not-quite-realising-cause-and-effect? Most toys and children are fine, just some combinations generate extra bruises.
    Besides which, encouraging hand eye coordination & dexterity are vital or we'll end up with children used only to touchscreens - and that will not pay our pensions...

Once things are made, remember to have a shop with markups, and records? Loads of fun, and potent learning for the young!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Jul 18, 8:59 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,646 Thanks
    Floss
    I found a BNWT M&S rose gold metal 500ml insulated drinks bottle in BHF today...labels said 15 reduced to 7 in the sale...mine for 1.50
    • Laredouter
    • By Laredouter 10th Jul 18, 10:24 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    Laredouter
    Floss, that drinks bottle sounds stylish
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 11th Jul 18, 5:54 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 5,334 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    It sounds lovely
    Nov GC 80.34/200
    NSD target: Nov 1/15
    Bring Your Lunch to Work Target Nov 1/15
    1 a day: Nov 44.75/45
    Tesco CC Aug 18 10,151.56 9950.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 4321.80 3968.77 0% til Feb 20
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Jul 18, 7:46 AM
    • 20,979 Posts
    • 56,557 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I found a BNWT M&S rose gold metal 500ml insulated drinks bottle in BHF today...labels said 15 reduced to 7 in the sale...mine for 1.50
    Originally posted by Floss
    Floss, that drinks bottle sounds stylish
    Originally posted by Laredouter
    It sounds lovely
    Originally posted by Hopeless Case
    I think I saw these in store - and it really did look lovely.
    • K80 Black
    • By K80 Black 11th Jul 18, 8:39 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    K80 Black
    In the charity shop I work in, we got a slightly battered acoustic guitar. I snapped it up for a mere 20 (my manager priced it, I'm not ripping off a charity!). I already have a few for playing, I'm going to paint this one and have it more as an objet d'art - though with some TLC it'll be entirely playable too
    • Frith
    • By Frith 11th Jul 18, 4:14 PM
    • 4,777 Posts
    • 45,200 Thanks
    Frith
    Large tin in shape of and painted to look like an Aga. I!!!8217;d seen it (complete with biscuits) in TKmaxx before Christmas but it was too expensive.

Box set with bird feeder and bird box

Mistral posh dress (they!!!8217;re like White Stuff but mainly in South West)

All for 10!!!
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • Wicked Lady
    • By Wicked Lady 12th Jul 18, 8:40 AM
    • 199 Posts
    • 1,872 Thanks
    Wicked Lady
    My first foray into a charity shop for some time as I spotted (and bought!) a fancy toddler sit on car type thingy for 5. When we got it home a new one was priced at 51 on Amazon
    Also got a set of plastic stacking beakers for 50p so well worth the visit.
    Last edited by Wicked Lady; 12-07-2018 at 8:41 AM. Reason: Omission
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,496Posts Today

4,496Users online

Martin's Twitter