Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,903Posts
    • 45,648Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Page 60
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 4th Jul 18, 11:28 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 5,335 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    I had to go the chemist today and popped into the charity shop next door, and got a lovely white Dorothy Perkins gypsy skirt with the label still on, and 6 big chunky dinner plates, forget the make but it was something to do with Royal Worcester, for 10.

I was trying to stay away as I don't technically need anything , but as a bit of a splurge goes, this was tame, and I know I'll get loads of use out of everything I've bought
    Nov GC 80.34/200
    NSD target: Nov 1/15
    Bring Your Lunch to Work Target Nov 1/15
    1 a day: Nov 44.75/45
    Tesco CC Aug 18 10,151.56 9950.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 4321.80 3968.77 0% til Feb 20
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 4th Jul 18, 11:49 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 5,335 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Oh...interesting! Works quite well but not the sort of thing you can carry about in a small handbag due to the odd shape!

'The Apprentice' is one of a long list of culturally iconic (sic) TV progs and films I have never ever watched for some reason.....(Britain's Got Talent, X Factor, Dr Who, Star Wars, Harry Potter, ET for example)

A trip to Otley yesterday yielded nuthin' but I diverted via the community chazza on the way home and found a b/n M & S T-shirt in a fuchsia shade for 1.25.
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Me neither - and I'm less likely than ever too now that I know that the US version was the original and that Donald Trump came up with the 'You're fired' catchphrase.
    Nov GC 80.34/200
    Tesco CC Aug 18 10,151.56 9950.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 4321.80 3968.77 0% til Feb 20
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 4th Jul 18, 3:54 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 5,335 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    I had to go the chemist today and popped into the charity shop next door, and got a lovely white Dorothy Perkins gypsy skirt with the label still on, and 6 big chunky dinner plates, forget the make but it was something to do with Royal Worcester, for 10.

I was trying to stay away as I don't technically need anything , but as a bit of a splurge goes, this was tame, and I know I'll get loads of use out of everything I've bought
    Originally posted by Hopeless Case
    It was Palissy Kalabar, 6 big chunky plates in perfect condition for 1 each, I'm really pleased with that, they should last me for years.

They had tea plates and 2 different types of bowls too, but I have a mix'n'match policy and have enough of those already
    Nov GC 80.34/200
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 4th Jul 18, 8:01 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 2,882 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Per Una linen trousers BNWT 39.50 mine for 1.
    • Bluestringsoup
    • By Bluestringsoup 4th Jul 18, 8:18 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Bluestringsoup
    Curtain for door
    I got a piece of fleece, not from a charity shop for about 3. I turned the top over and sewed it, pushed through a curtain wire, put two hooks in the door and hung it - bingo - curtain to cover the glass.

Maybe an alternative or a fleece blanket from a charity shop?

My bargains over the years - loads of wine making equipment for 5, lots of books and a cast iron, tiled Victorian fireplace for 180 including delivery. They can cost up to 800 online!
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 5th Jul 18, 7:28 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 5,335 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Per Una linen trousers BNWT 39.50 mine for 1.
    Originally posted by Sayschezza
    Wow bargain! I love Per Una, I always look out for their stuff in charity shops
    Nov GC 80.34/200
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Jul 18, 9:03 AM
    • 26,773 Posts
    • 56,997 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Just dipping back in briefly - am looking to make the most of a free hour (at the very max) in Brighton tomorrow, but there are more chazzers than you can shake a stick at!! Am guessing I should prioritise the independents, but also want to make Books for Amnesty (Sydney Street) my starting point.

Where to from there...? Advice please?
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I had a change of plan and decided to dedicate a proper afternoon on the chazzer-trail in Brighton, and there are many! I've done all the hard work so you don't have to

My comments: Brighton chazzers are actually very expensive, much more so that the London 'burbs or my favourite haunts in Essex. If you are a true bargain hunter with limited time to spare, I'd recommend the Martel's opposite the large Waitrose, just down from the main shopping centre. If you're after good quality stuff and are prepared to pay, then the Dog's Trust on the lesser-known side of the main drag is a good bet. I saw the most beautiful smart Wallis dress in my size in there but was not prepared to pay 7.50 for it, not when I know I could spend 3 if I found it elsewhere - so have P'Inned it instead.

So in conclusion, I actually came out empty handed but inspired .
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    • 20,979 Posts
    • 56,557 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Oh...interesting! Works quite well but not the sort of thing you can carry about in a small handbag due to the odd shape!

'The Apprentice' is one of a long list of culturally iconic (sic) TV progs and films I have never ever watched for some reason.....(Britain's Got Talent, X Factor, Dr Who, Star Wars, Harry Potter, ET for example)
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Not interested in the first 3 but The Apprentice was worth it to see Nick Hewer's and Margaret Moutford's facial expressions during tasks and to watch the truly brutal interview stage for the last five.
    Claud Littner (now Lord Sugar's assistant) was a joy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UztIw5bGbF0
    • cbsexec
    • By cbsexec 5th Jul 18, 9:56 AM
    • 365 Posts
    • 2,020 Thanks
    cbsexec
    You say the Brighton shops are expensive but here they want upwards of 15 for something like a smart dress. 7.50 - 10 for skirts and 5 + for a named top. I think they are too dear now and very rarely buy anything.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 5th Jul 18, 10:03 AM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,648 Thanks
    Floss
    You say the Brighton shops are expensive but here they want upwards of 15 for something like a smart dress. 7.50 - 10 for skirts and 5 + for a named top. I think they are too dear now and very rarely buy anything.
    Originally posted by cbsexec
    Whereabouts are you?

I'm on the Fylde coast, and although we have plenty of chazzers, their content is not always good and some of the pricing is dubious. There are occasional bargains in the more affluent areas though, but it does depend on the price one is willing to pay.
    • MrsStepford
    • By MrsStepford 5th Jul 18, 8:55 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    MrsStepford
    Most recent..

Windsmoor BNWT chocolate linen trousers 12.50
    Murano glass heart pendant, brand new in box with certificate of authenticity 14.99
    Coach almost new leather backpack with registration card 75 (used compensation from bank)
    Prada black wool trousers almost new 16
    Ermenegildo Zegna lilac cotton shirt for Mr Stepford almost new 11.99
    • cbsexec
    • By cbsexec 6th Jul 18, 11:42 AM
    • 365 Posts
    • 2,020 Thanks
    cbsexec
    Im in Wales. I do sometimes have a bargain when our local hospice shop reduces stuff to 1 but lots of the other stuff is priced very high. I have just got a lovely cardigan on that rail. I am envious of others' bargains tho.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 6th Jul 18, 2:17 PM
    • 8,329 Posts
    • 26,141 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Himself has just lugged back an IKEA rug. New, 39, ours for 15 and currently on the front path being hoovered & washed, looking distinctly exotic on the the grey flags. Valby Ruta, I think and very charming in person whereas a bit busy on screen....
    • Floss
    • By Floss 6th Jul 18, 3:17 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,648 Thanks
    Floss
    DfV very nice!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 6th Jul 18, 8:29 PM
    • 26,773 Posts
    • 56,997 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Most recent..

Windsmoor BNWT chocolate linen trousers 12.50
    Murano glass heart pendant, brand new in box with certificate of authenticity 14.99
    Coach almost new leather backpack with registration card 75 (used compensation from bank)
    Prada black wool trousers almost new 16
    Ermenegildo Zegna lilac cotton shirt for Mr Stepford almost new 11.99
    Originally posted by MrsStepford
    I think these are expensive for chazzer-fodder.

Today I saw a couple of Windsmoor blouses for 2 each, which I didn't buy because they were fuddy-duddy in style and synthetic. I did succumb to a Phase Eight blouse for 2 - although can confidently predict that I'll never wear it (I fully expect it to go AWOL from my wardrobe the next time my sister comes to visit).
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Laredouter
    • By Laredouter 7th Jul 18, 1:43 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    Laredouter
    Some charity shops definitely overcharge. A lot of people I have spoken to told me to go to shops in seaside towns, yet when I went to Southwold, the prices there terrified me. However, if I really like an item, and it would have been expensive brand new, I will buy it if it is 10% or under of RRP (only if in very good condition of course).

I haven't really been into the charity shops recently. I have made a couple of excellent eBay purchases in the past week but I doubt I will buy anything until my next pay day. I will enjoy reading about all of your bargains though!!
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 7th Jul 18, 1:45 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 3,348 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    BHF Stevenage, three tops (New Look, Dorothy Perkins) and a pair of denim shorts, an unworn M&S swimsuit, as well as a potty training book DS found himself, (mainly due to the push button bit on it that cheers!!) For 15 .

Really like the tops and the shorts are a great fit. Feel like I've been living in holiday clothes, out of a suitcase for nearly a fortnight now.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: 16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: 13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Jul 18, 2:16 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,648 Thanks
    Floss
    Laredouter some seaside areas are more affluent than others - I would suggest maybe Southwold, Whitstable, Rock, Salcombe & maybe Poole have the higher prices...
    • Bigjenny
    • By Bigjenny 7th Jul 18, 2:31 PM
    • 548 Posts
    • 5,981 Thanks
    Bigjenny
    Laredouter Southwold is very upmarket with lots of holiday homes and very expensive.
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 7th Jul 18, 8:17 PM
    • 8,842 Posts
    • 10,173 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Clarissa and the Countryman (Hardcover, no dj) and Big Bang: The Most Important Scientific Discovery of All Time and Why You Need to Know About It (Hardcover).

25p each. CHSS

That's my weekend reading sorted.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

252Posts Today

3,372Users online

Martin's Twitter