Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,901Posts
    • 45,560Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Page 49
    • Flo61
    • By Flo61 17th May 18, 7:42 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    Flo61
    Miro - what a thoughtful bloke you have going back for that hat! I must admit I am hopelessly indecisive sometimes when I am out shopping.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th May 18, 8:23 AM
    • 20,710 Posts
    • 55,701 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Some lovely soft leather lace up Camper shoes, hardly worn for £5 whichever I'm really pleased with but will need a clear out as I've bought a few pairs recently. A white Levi's jacket for the summer £8 which is more than I would usually pay, but other times stuff is super cheap so it all balances out. My local hospice has one of those posh boutiquey shops and I have my eye on a Seasalt skirt in there but it's £15 which is ridiculous as Seasalt had it in their sale for £19, so hopefully they'll reduce the price and I can swoop in.
    My best recent bargain though was a pair of almost new Nike trainers which have prompted me to do Couch to 5K. I'm up to week 6 and have actually managed to run ( very very slowly ) for 20 minutes non stop. Trainers were £4.
    Originally posted by Potternerd
    Well done to you.

Well done! I'm an avid walker, but have never been able to run. I mean NEVER.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I've always done a fair bit of exercise - athletics/tennis/hockey at school, played hockey/football/squash pretty seriously during adulthood, fell walking in the teens of miles.
    I can still (approaching my state pension in the next couple of months ) kick up my heels and run the 75 meters to the bus stop if I see the bus coming round the corner.

But ask me to jog and I'm no good at all.
    220 yards (pre-decimal ) was my longest distance.

Odd, isn't it?

Potternerd - the white Levi jacket sounds good.

I'd wear it with maxi dresses, short dresses, denim skirt, linen trousers, crops. You'll get £8.00 worth of wear out of it for sure.

And - when you get fed up of it, you'll probably be able to sell it for more than that on eBay.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 17th May 18, 9:50 AM
    • 8,072 Posts
    • 24,629 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Can't help lovin' that man of mine - just found a pair of berghaus hillmaster II GTX boots (with mud but otherwise unworn per internal labels etc) for £4. Retailing new in box for £110 on Amazon, & in #2 son's size.

A few minutes washing, a fresh layer of grangers & our lad will be bouncing about "checking the footbeds"/running in/ generally showing off his new boots! While my budget wheezes a gusty sigh of relief.
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 17th May 18, 11:36 AM
    • 2,212 Posts
    • 5,069 Thanks
    Artytarty
    Paul Smith ladies sweater in grey and mauve strips. Lovely and long in the sleeve which can be an issue for me.
    Big spend, £6.99 eek. But it's very good quality,about £170 new I think.
    Hand washed and on the line.i can't wait to wear it, it's still cold enough for knitwear here,our climate is such that I even have summer dog walking gloves!
    Last edited by Artytarty; 17-05-2018 at 11:38 AM.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 17th May 18, 1:04 PM
    • 11,281 Posts
    • 30,168 Thanks
    suki1964
    Some lovely soft leather lace up Camper shoes, hardly worn for £5 whichever I'm really pleased with but will need a clear out as I've bought a few pairs recently. A white Levi's jacket for the summer £8 which is more than I would usually pay, but other times stuff is super cheap so it all balances out. My local hospice has one of those posh boutiquey shops and I have my eye on a Seasalt skirt in there but it's £15 which is ridiculous as Seasalt had it in their sale for £19, so hopefully they'll reduce the price and I can swoop in.
    My best recent bargain though was a pair of almost new Nike trainers which have prompted me to do Couch to 5K. I'm up to week 6 and have actually managed to run ( very very slowly ) for 20 minutes non stop. Trainers were £4.
    Originally posted by Potternerd
    In 6 weeks time Iím doing a 5 mile run for charity

Itís going to kill me

Thought it was 5k when I signed up

Got to do it now though as Iíve collected so much sponsorship already
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 17th May 18, 7:50 PM
    • 8,526 Posts
    • 9,661 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Lovely polished wooden box with hinged lid lined with blue baize, almost A4 size and quite deep, used to hold something given as a golden wedding gift to Cath and Tommy in 2005 (engraved plaque inside, easily removed). Wine glasses? Decanters? Not sure what I'll use it for. Could be used for someone's cremains,£5 from Red Cross.

Science Ink book, hardback (from £51 new) 25p, and another couple of books.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 18th May 18, 2:27 AM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 9,147 Thanks
    wondercollie
    In 6 weeks time Iím doing a 5 mile run for charity

Itís going to kill me

Thought it was 5k when I signed up

Got to do it now though as Iíve collected so much sponsorship already
    Originally posted by suki1964
    You'll manage it. (said the woman who thought she'd signed up for a 10k and two days before the event, found out she'd registered for a half marathon). I finished. You will too!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 19th May 18, 10:51 PM
    • 8,072 Posts
    • 24,629 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Himself met me back at the car clutching an unfamiliar bulky bag - he found not just found five Denby Rondo plates, with three bowls, he was given a splendid robust bag to carry them all away in. Four pounds total -the acquisition committee was very impressed!
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 20th May 18, 6:04 AM
    • 5,738 Posts
    • 24,842 Thanks
    Mirů
    Soooooo frustrating! I'm in Edinburgh for a few days with a non-chazza-ing friend and I have counted nine charity shops on the road leading to our AirB&B apartment!!!
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 20th May 18, 7:54 AM
    • 20,710 Posts
    • 55,701 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Another TUI jersey dress from Air Ambulance for £1.00.

It is a water-blurred flower print (does this make sense?) in shades of fuchsia, purples & teals with 3/5 sleeves and a fancy back that has a bow at the neck and a small cut out just below. Slightly swingy skirt.
    I have lots of opaque tights that will go with this dress.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 20th May 18, 7:57 AM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 55,632 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Soooooo frustrating! I'm in Edinburgh for a few days with a non-chazza-ing friend and I have counted nine charity shops on the road leading to our AirB&B apartment!!!
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Leave your friend to their own devices for 90 mins, you'll be able to get through them fast (bargains can be found but they are few and far between, if like me your price threshold for purchase is low).

Better still, have them wait in the queue for The Elephant House whilst you shop
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 20th May 18, 9:14 AM
    • 3,999 Posts
    • 36,924 Thanks
    dolly84
    I went looking for shorts for DD yesterday but had no luck I did however buy for me and DH.

MoreMile black & green running top, a winter thermal one so will be put away, it will also be used on the bike - £1.99

Next laundered green check shirt, long sleeve, button down £1.99
    Monsoon maxi skirt in a gypsy style - rather 70's in print £1.99
    River Island white slub tshirt, slouchy style with a slouchy V neck & pocket £1.99

Teal/blue Vans, barely worn £6
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 20th May 18, 9:43 AM
    • 5,738 Posts
    • 24,842 Thanks
    Mirů
    Leave your friend to their own devices for 90 mins, you'll be able to get through them fast (bargains can be found but they are few and far between, if like me your price threshold for purchase is low).

Better still, have them wait in the queue for The Elephant House whilst you shop
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Ha, no way am I going to the Elephant House.....I went to the Cafe Majestic in Porto, Portugal once where some Harry Potter stuff was supposedly written....nearly got squished in the crush and empaled on selfie sticks....never again!!!

Said friend is very anti chazza shopping...I've never admitted to her that I indulge.....I just do an invisible smirk whenever she admires a new bargainatious outfit
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 20th May 18, 3:04 PM
    • 8,072 Posts
    • 24,629 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Then park her in a queue to a tourist attraction you agree on & slope off on the hunt.
    You simply cannot pass up a Nine Shop opportunity because of one person's scruples can you? I mean you're not *married* to them.

(I'm fine with scruples, and matrimony, I just don't let them get in the way of the hunt - happily I married a bloke who is a better hunter than I am but has more respect for family life etc or the children might not get fed reliably.)
    Oh yes & of course take your own bags to conceal the origins of your trophies?! (Sorry, strong possibility of grandma & eggs.) Don't let one friendship suffer because you have different belief systems, but do please hunt, or we won't know where to try in Edinburgh!
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 20th May 18, 3:56 PM
    • 8,526 Posts
    • 9,661 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    The Edinburgh Charity Shop and Reuse Map is a comprehensive guide to donating and buying from charity shops and reuse projects. It provides information on what type of donations each shop or project accepts and how to contact them. Funded by City of Edinburgh Council, the map is available online.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 20th May 18, 5:45 PM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 55,632 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Said friend is very anti chazza shopping...I've never admitted to her that I indulge.....I just do an invisible smirk whenever she admires a new bargainatious outfit
    You need to get new friends

Seriously, there's so much to see and do in Edinburgh you should be able to lose her for a couple of hours.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 21st May 18, 2:21 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 3,218 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    The other advantage to charity shop clothing for DS.... Horrific teething related nappies, means risking a 3 for a £1 pair of his trousers rather than brand new £8 ones. And yes, even in Asda new jeans etc for a one year old are about £6-8!!

And today DD is wearing a dress I bought in another 3 for £1 batch before I actually knew I was having a girl (the girls clothes were just too tempting, would have donated back again if we'd been having a boy!).
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 21st May 18, 3:55 PM
    • 11,281 Posts
    • 30,168 Thanks
    suki1964
    A lovely black and white top from Wallis, no ware showing at all and a pair of brand new slim fit black trousers from Benneton - £6 for the both

Not a charity shop, but a sports clothing shop, I saw a lovely hoodie. Price was £17 but it was two for £24. I didn't want two. Nor did the other woman looking through them so I gave her £12, she paid for the two, saved ourselves a fiver each - RESULT

Then popped in to TK Maxx for a pair of trainers needed for this charity run Im doing. Found a pair that seemed to do the job, very bright colours mind, for £29. Looked them up and they retail for £130
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 21st May 18, 3:57 PM
    • 4,276 Posts
    • 29,523 Thanks
    tessie bear
    nice to hear you posting lucy glad you still on it even with 2 babas...hope ds teething is ok

I went into cr yesterday and came out £9 poorer but with some lovely bits....mantaray flowery top £2...3 t shirts one white stuff 2 m and s for a quid...a lovely summery bag £2...a little cardi just the thing for the british summer £2 a lovely next hoodie £2...all lovely condition
    on the brink...
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st May 18, 8:34 PM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 55,632 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I bought a lovely soft holdall bag today, bright fuschia flowers on a grey background which will be great for summer outings for £2. Plus another 4 books.
    Not a charity shop, but a sports clothing shop, I saw a lovely hoodie. Price was £17 but it was two for £24. I didn't want two. Nor did the other woman looking through them so I gave her £12, she paid for the two, saved ourselves a fiver each - RESULT
    Originally posted by suki1964
    One of the key things that sets humans apart from lower forms of life is the ability to organise ourselves and co-operate

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,609Posts Today

6,992Users online

Martin's Twitter