Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,901Posts
    • 45,559Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Page 47
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 7th May 18, 7:47 PM
    • 8,524 Posts
    • 9,658 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    But does the bit that you quoted about labelling apply to sale of 2nd hand goods?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Probably; there are very few exemptions just because something is second-hand.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 8th May 18, 10:35 AM
    • 3,998 Posts
    • 36,919 Thanks
    dolly84
    Pollycat - I have come across it in the RSPCA, Shelter, Oxfam, BHF and local hospice shops, the weird thing is it is a significant amount of items but by no means all of them probably not even 1/10 but enough for me to notice it. Next time I find a few items in one shop I will ask.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 8th May 18, 5:21 PM
    • 11,281 Posts
    • 30,168 Thanks
    suki1964
    Re the labelling being cut out

This happens for 2nds which are then sold on to whole sellers so they canít be bought and taken in for full refunds and also some brands donít wish to be associated with selling seconds. It could be that these whole sellers are then donating old stock??

Anyways I done well today. A pair of voilles which look brand new for £2 and a couple of metres of a very heavy fabric which is needed to curtain off an area in the garage/snooker room/ bar for another £2
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th May 18, 5:40 PM
    • 20,706 Posts
    • 55,686 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I think I was mugged yesterday.
    I bought a Ben De Lisi (designers at Debenhams) dress from Age UK.
    It was £5.99.
    But...but...I saw this dress in the sale in 3 shops, none in my size.
    It is in shades of pink/salmon/coral and various greys and black with nice detailing around the neck and armholes.
    Nice quality jersey and fits perfectly. Will be high on my holiday list.

And - I posted this at the end of February (I didn't buy it)
    I dallied with a New Look maroon/grey/black tartan short-sleeved shift dress with patch pockets in Oxfam but put it on the 'think about it later' list at £5.99.
    and today I found the same dress in perfect condition in Air Ambulance for £1.00.
    • Laredouter
    • By Laredouter 8th May 18, 6:10 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 421 Thanks
    Laredouter
    That dress sounds lovely Pollycat! Honestly, £5.99 doesn't sound like much to me, but then I have never been in any truly cheap charity shops.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th May 18, 6:36 PM
    • 20,706 Posts
    • 55,686 Thanks
    Pollycat
    If the shop is cutting out the fabric labels they are probably breaking the law and should be referred to trading standards.

http://www.ukft.org/business.php?page=business&mcat=2&catid=22

I'm getting fed up with charity shops thinking they're above the law. Signs like "all sale goods sold as seen, no refunds" are illegal, but someone who should know better thinks they're being clever sticking stupid laminated notices up all over the place.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    But does the bit that you quoted about labelling apply to sale of 2nd hand goods?
    Probably; there are very few exemptions just because something is second-hand.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    If anyone reported a charity shop for cutting out labels, personally I'd consider that person very mean spirited.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th May 18, 6:40 PM
    • 20,706 Posts
    • 55,686 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Re the labelling being cut out

This happens for 2nds which are then sold on to whole sellers so they canít be bought and taken in for full refunds and also some brands donít wish to be associated with selling seconds. It could be that these whole sellers are then donating old stock??
    Originally posted by suki1964
    I made the same point here, Suki:
    I've recently bought (from ebay) a couple of brand new Next dresses that have had the 'Next' bit cut out of the neck label but the size has been left on.
    "Labels partially removed due to wholesale policy"
    "All labels have been cut out to prevent shop returns'.
    I've also bought bras donated by M&S to Oxfam that have had the full label cut off.

Try searching for your size in a big packing case.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th May 18, 6:46 PM
    • 20,706 Posts
    • 55,686 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Pollycat - I have come across it in the RSPCA, Shelter, Oxfam, BHF and local hospice shops, the weird thing is it is a significant amount of items but by no means all of them probably not even 1/10 but enough for me to notice it. Next time I find a few items in one shop I will ask.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    OK, Dolly, thanks.
    I'll keep my eye open.

That dress sounds lovely Pollycat! Honestly, £5.99 doesn't sound like much to me, but then I have never been in any truly cheap charity shops.
    Originally posted by Laredouter
    Thank you.
    I've just tried it on again and it is really nice. And a perfect length.

It's more than I usually pay though.
    But I did notice the fabric amongst all the other dresses and went straight to it. I knew exactly what it was before I pulled it off the rail.
    And my Air Ambulance bargain has gone a little way to offset my shockingly expensive splurge.
    • patricia50
    • By patricia50 8th May 18, 10:02 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 644 Thanks
    patricia50
    My bargains for today were a Le Crueset skillet pan that just needed a good clean for £3 and in another shop I picked up a nice Kipling bag which had a price tag of £6.50 on it. This was in a charity shop I often visit and the lady behind the counter knows me now. She looked at the tag to ring it up and raised her eyebrows and said I know its a good make but really? I said well I did think it was slightly expensive for this shop! She agreed and said;I don!!!8217;tknow who prices these things sometimes and she changed it to £4.50 : )
    Last edited by patricia50; 08-05-2018 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Mistake
    • esmy
    • By esmy 9th May 18, 2:46 PM
    • 1,075 Posts
    • 4,228 Thanks
    esmy
    Some great bargains for everyone lately.

Having lost weight I needed summer wear so today, a pair of black and white gingham shorts and lightweight M&S wide legged trousers, both appear new, £4.75 from Marie Curie but best bargain of all, a pair of Long Tall Sally trousers in a very light weight grey denim, almost like linen, not new but seem little worn, for £1 from Cancer Research. I often see trousers that I like but often too short so I'm delighted with these!
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 9th May 18, 4:14 PM
    • 5,738 Posts
    • 24,838 Thanks
    Mirů
    Today's trip to Otley unearthed two as new 99p tops in the St Gemma's Hospice shop. A cotton jersey, 3/4 sleeved, V neck top in olive green with beaded 'splodges' at the side neck and hip. M & S Also, a burnt orange top, very unusual, from the M & S Special Collection range. Cotton jersey back and sleeves but with a fabric front. Scoopy neck banded with orange and white ribbon and gathered in at the waist on each side with matching ribbon ties
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 9th May 18, 4:29 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 3,218 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    Had the chance to wander in town with no children at all this afternoon! Hubby's last day on paternity leave so I left them at home with him whilst I had to sort out a few things at the Drs. Then went into town centre to rummage lol.

Couple of basic tops and some pale denim jeggings for a couple of pounds each but the better buy was a Per Una jacket. Navy blue, hooded and shower proof at least (not driving, I walk a lot with the buggy for playgroup sessions etc). £8.50, similar ones are £60-70 new and still £35 second-hand on eBay.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • lesbro
    • By lesbro 10th May 18, 11:47 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    lesbro
    They've closed and knocked down all our charity shops to rebuild the town and stated no more charity shops allowed. Have to travel a distance now, but will serve them right for missing out on our money in other shops.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th May 18, 11:00 PM
    • 26,090 Posts
    • 55,625 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    They've closed and knocked down all our charity shops to rebuild the town and stated no more charity shops allowed. Have to travel a distance now, but will serve them right for missing out on our money in other shops.
    Originally posted by lesbro
    Shortsighted and divisive. I suppose it's considered a way of increasing affluence in the town. However no amount of money would stop me from enjoying a good rummage around a chazzer.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 11th May 18, 12:56 AM
    • 2,917 Posts
    • 8,751 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Bought some netting to put over plants in the cancer research cs. Birds are enjoying the spinach leaves that are not already covered.
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - £500 + £220
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £4096/£6,000 + £220
    • GreenBitterfly
    • By GreenBitterfly 11th May 18, 4:50 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    GreenBitterfly
    I visited my local Scope, and picked up two hardbacks, Making It Up as I Go Along by Marian Keyes and At My Mother's Knee..and other Low Joints by Paul O'Grady for £2 each. I've already got At My Mother's Knee in hardback, but my copy is start to get tatty and the pages are starting to get loose. As the paperback edition has had parts removed due to a complaint by one of Paul's school friends, I wanted another hardback copy to replace my worn out one. So I was pleased when I spotted it today.

I also entered in Scope's raffle with a top prize of £4000. I only bought one ticket at £1 though!
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 11th May 18, 6:07 PM
    • 8,524 Posts
    • 9,658 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    They've closed and knocked down all our charity shops to rebuild the town and stated no more charity shops allowed.
    Originally posted by lesbro
    That's not very environmentally friendly. Charity shops are very good at stopping things going to landfill.

I do think that too many aren't an asset to a town overall (and don't benefit the charity shops either, there are really only so many good quality donations to share around).
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • retiredinfrance
    • By retiredinfrance 11th May 18, 6:43 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    retiredinfrance
    I was in UK visiting recently and was struck by the amount of tatty stuff in the C shops and high prices as well in some. I agree, there is only so much good condition stuff and I think that since the financial crisis people are holding on to stuff for longer and selling it, too. And my DDin law hasn't had a pay rise in years and they find prices are always going up.Luckily, they have been given a lot of clothes for the kids..
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 11th May 18, 7:19 PM
    • 5,738 Posts
    • 24,838 Thanks
    Mirů
    I did the rounds of my local charity shops yesterday but I was only tempted by a couple of things which I talked myself out of eventually so I left them. Regretting it now!! In Oxfam they had two brand new, feather & down, cushion inners for £3.99 the pair...lovely and squidgy and poofy - would have been a vast improvement on a couple of my existing ones!. Also I spotted in another chazza, in the window, a brand new straw sunhat, classic ladies panama shape and looked very good quality. I'm sure I've seen the exact same one in M & S. Didn't even go in to find out the price. Would have been perfect for me forthcoming holibobs. Will be passing both shops in the morning on my way to the hospice jumble sale...wonder what the chances are of them still being there??!!
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 11th May 18, 8:29 PM
    • 2,917 Posts
    • 8,751 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Visited Seaford today. Lots of cs there.
    Found hardback James Patterson book for £1.50

Saw some wine glasses that were really nice but they wanted£10 for a pair!!
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - £500 + £220
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £4096/£6,000 + £220
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,093Posts Today

6,321Users online

Martin's Twitter