PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I will book the coach for our fact finding mission...I do want to detour to see the aga xx
    onwards and upwards
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,904 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Planning my Margo Leadbetter outfit as we speak.....or should it be Hyacinth Bucket? Well, one would have to fit in wouldn't one? :p
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Went to a table top sale today, bought a James Patterson book for £1 and 3 DVDs for £1. Hubby now needs to go on one of his football outings so that I can have a quiet film afternoon.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Discovered this thread a while ago and been ploughing through. I do like a good charity shop bargain, as long as its something I really need, as trying to declutter....and save money. I take a lot of stuff to CS myself, but also like to browse and buy.
    I will keep up to date with all your posts and let you know of any bargains I find.:)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Mir! wrote: »
    Planning my Margo Leadbetter outfit as we speak.....or should it be Hyacinth Bucket? Well, one would have to fit in wouldn't one? :p
    :p I spy, with my little eye, a lovely tailored floral frock with medium court shoes, co-ordinating with a lovely handbag (only leather, dahling). A light blazer over the top in case it gets chilly and a silk scarf to tie over one's 'do in case of high winds.

One might want to reconsider the hat as more approrpiate to a wedding party. If one doesn't have a wedding party of one's own to attend, one could always gate-crash one, circulate politely, wine and dine for free and forever be that person in the group photographs who will be a complete mystery to both sides of the newly-minted couple's family.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am hoping the last of the snow clears soon as I am suffering from charity shop withdrawal!
    dolly84 wrote: »
    Do you think we have Mary Portas to blame for the whole 'fancy' charity shop thing. They need to re-find their niche, the whole idea was for them to be different to all the other shops but not try to be an antique shop either.

I think the worst thing about Mary Portas is it led to charity shops being obsessed with wanting to look like normal shops. I found this meant they no longer sold some of the weird and wonderful bits they used to. I love crafts and used to buy bags of buttons/yarn/fabric oddments all the time. I also used to love old sewing patterns and old magazines. I definitely wasn't the only one as I seemed to be in competition with other people who snapped those items up too. After the Mary Portas doc I noticed the shops near me no longer sold these. A couple of staff told me they had been told not to sell items that made the shop look tatty or like a jumble sale. I now give all my craft stuff away on Freegle as I know the charity shops will probably bin it.

I have to say I have encountered a lot of smelly charity shops and have even had to wash the bags I brought my purchases home in! That strong musty smell is so distinctive. Luckily it always comes out in the wash.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I agree that some CS's are not like they used to be. We have a dog charity shop near us and it is full to the rafters and has all sorts of junk and surprises.... Love it. However some of the more well known shops even sell brand new bits these days and I very rarely frequent them as even their second hand bits are pricey.....you will know the ones I mean.
    Looking forward to the car boots starting again soon as well
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,904 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :p I spy, with my little eye, a lovely tailored floral frock with medium court shoes, co-ordinating with a lovely handbag (only leather, dahling). A light blazer over the top in case it gets chilly and a silk scarf to tie over one's 'do in case of high winds.

One might want to reconsider the hat as more approrpiate to a wedding party. If one doesn't have a wedding party of one's own to attend, one could always gate-crash one, circulate politely, wine and dine for free and forever be that person in the group photographs who will be a complete mystery to both sides of the newly-minted couple's family.:rotfl:

Ok yah, that outfit would work, tho' as a more wintery alternative I will have on standby a luridly patterned polyester kaftan, diamonte encrusted, slingback, Hunter wellies with a kitten heel, well worn Barbour jacket, capacious but battered Mulberry bag and silk scarf festooned with horsey accoutrements. Then if there should be a nearby jimkarna....gimc...horsey do to crash I will be suitably attired. Really looking forward to this outing now....tally ho!
  • Bathory
    Bathory Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I recently had a job interview and found the gladrags for the occasion no longer fitted since losing 3 stone. Not wanting to replace with new things I decided on a CS tour. In Scope I got a £4 pair of m&s office trousers (unworn, the size card was still stitched to the belt area) and a £1 smart top (again m&s) from Willow Wood's clearance rail. New interview outfit for £5 and the old one donated.

I find our local BHF very pricey, they wanted £8 for a pair of scuffed primark boots.
  • More donates from me to local charity although shocked to see £12.99 on some items I have donated :( although they are coats and brand new shoes. So will donate the last lot elsewhere tbh.

I love thought of someone getting that charity find pleasure but that is probably quite hard to do at £12.99 IMO. Anyway not moaning was just shocked.

I am pretty much completely kondo'd in terms of clothes after buying the book spark joy and finding not a lot that really sparked "Joy" so will start to make a need's list and have set myself £500 ( which is probably an extortionate amount ) to replace.
    Sam x
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills