Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,883Posts
    • 45,331Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Page 39
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Apr 18, 11:24 AM
    • 20,548 Posts
    • 55,249 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I met an old friend at the weekend, who asked me which part of London "I shop in" these days. I realised I was puzzled by the question, as shopping to me means nearest supermarket for food, and charity shops for pretty much everything else (undies and shoes excepted). I don't class shopping as an activity these days; food is just necesssity, and chazzers are a fun bargain-hunt; a totally different experience to High St clothes stores.

Latest finds:

Smart black M&S formal trousers 50p
    Black TM Lewin shirt with ruffle detail £2
    Soft green linen top with lovely silk/bead neckline detail, label removed but seemed good quality £2
    Hardback collection of James Herriott cat anecdotes with lovely colour illustrations 50p
    Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly
    I want one of those!

I've had a clear out of some of my clothes.
    Some will go to my sis to see if she's interested, she usually passes anything she doesn't want onto her friend.

The rest will go to the hospice shop.
    Some good brands - Mantaray, White Stuff, East, Fat Face.
    And 2 Next shirts from OH's wardrobe that he doesn't know about - but hasn't worn for years so won't be missed (I hope).

I'm going to try to be more picky with what I buy.
    I have enough dresses - long and short, trousers and tops, coats & jackets to last me a lifetime.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 9th Apr 18, 4:17 PM
    • 5,714 Posts
    • 24,675 Thanks
    Mirů
    Well I never....today I found just what I have been looking for A pair of stone coloured leather ermmm shoe thingies. Are they called sneakers now or trainers? Used to be called 'pumps' yonks ago or 'plimsolls' if you were pawsh. Anyhoo, Office brand and priced at £4 in the community chazza and as new. £34 on their website Have Febrezed the insides, scrubbed the soles with a nailbrush and polished the leather. Come up a treat. Didn't really need it but I always do that.

Latest finds:

Hardback collection of James Herriott cat anecdotes with lovely colour illustrations 50p
    Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly
    I want one of those!
    Originally posted by Pollycat

*Useless info alert*

I used to live directly opposite the original practice in Thirsk, (now a museum called 'The World of James Herriot'. Some nice chazza shops in Thirsk but a bit pricey!
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 9th Apr 18, 4:45 PM
    • 3,855 Posts
    • 61,990 Thanks
    silvasava
    Miro - I used to put dustbin powder into any CS shoes but now I use kitchen wipes!
    Had a Hotter leaflet with the Sunday paper - I bought a pair of their posh plimsolls in a CS last year that looked unworn - apparently they are £70!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • foxyloxy11
    • By foxyloxy11 9th Apr 18, 5:19 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 1,588 Thanks
    foxyloxy11
    Dork diaries book , grey hoodie and a mint green lacy party top for my DD PLUS a brand new nerffy gun in box all for £5 will give the gun as a pressie to one of my nephews
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £1000.00.00/£1000 Baby Step 1-COMPLETE
    Debt free day October 2019 - End of Baby Step 2 (A work in progress)
    • bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 9th Apr 18, 6:08 PM
    • 1,824 Posts
    • 2,192 Thanks
    bobsa1
    Exactly, Bobsa1, CS shopping is cheaper than most hobbies, saves money, helps a good cause and is more interesting than normal shops as there is a real thrill about not knowing what you might come across. I think it is very psychologically satisfying as it is a link with our earliest hunter-gatherer ancestors.

I think you may have something with the hunter gatherer point our eldest daughter said she thought spotting a bargain gave her a "rush" like she imagines drug users get! Whilst being marginally horrified I secretly agree.

Today I took two bags of items to the cs and whilst there bought a hot water bottle and cover. They still had their label and where in a plastic bag. I paid £3.50 on getting home I discover it is an upmarket chadmere company and the hot water bottle covers are currently on sale in Liberty for £77. The company is called rowpinto. I love the fact you can get premium items you would never usually buy for less money than you would get the none branded item at the supermarket. I'm just sorting out a 3rd bag for the cs so I don't just buy but donate as well. (I'm obviously feeling guilty at my frequent shopping lol)
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Apr 18, 6:10 PM
    • 20,548 Posts
    • 55,249 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Today I took two bags of items to the cs and whilst there bought a hot water bottle and cover. They still had their label and where in a plastic bag. I paid £3.50 on getting home I discover it is an upmarket chadmere company and the hot water bottle covers are currently on sale in Liberty for £77. The company is called rowpinto. I love the fact you can get premium items you would never usually buy for less money than you would get the none branded item at the supermarket. I'm just sorting out a 3rd bag for the cs so I don't just buy but donate as well. (I'm obviously feeling guilty at my frequent shopping lol)
    Originally posted by bobsa1
    Very privileged feet.
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 9th Apr 18, 7:57 PM
    • 2,886 Posts
    • 8,590 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Took a bag of books to a charity shop this morning. Looked in to four different cs but didn't see anything that took my fancy.
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - £500 +
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £4096/£6,000
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Apr 18, 8:40 PM
    • 12,059 Posts
    • 232,483 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Fulfilled a need which has been pending for some time; a waterproof lightweight rain jacket suitable for gardening/ outdoorsy type stuff of the scruffy nature. £10.

It is very very difficult, in my experience, to buy a waterproof jacket in decent nick from a chazzer. This is the same brand as its aged predecessor, which has been a good and faithful servant and worn to pieces for the past seven years. One in, one out!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 9th Apr 18, 10:44 PM
    • 1,824 Posts
    • 2,192 Thanks
    bobsa1
    Very privileged feet.
    Very hahaha. So far this evening I've had to show my "upmarket" hot water bottle to two of my dds and insist they play guess the retail price. Both have actually laughed at the very idea of paying £77 but then we are from Yorkshire!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th Apr 18, 1:36 PM
    • 7,982 Posts
    • 24,047 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    It is very very difficult, in my experience, to buy a waterproof jacket in decent nick from a chazzer.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Sadly "hear, hear" unless the original donor bought or was given the wrong thing & rather than try to get the right one, donates it. My husband & I being persons of average-to-somewhat-plump size find sock all in coats etc. The lads, being fast-growing young monsters with waist measurements that used to be indicative of tight lacing, step into unloved Rohans, high end fleeces & exotic goretex garments (husband has a very discerning eye &/or blinking expensive tastes) near routinely....

It is for *us* that we hunt ebay & haunt carboots, hoping someone is too ashamed of Great Uncle Fred's girth to donate his stuff to a cs & doesn't appreciate just what it was GUF shrewdly opened his wallet for. Mind, recently-out squaddies also have stuff to get rid of for cash & while they can be a tad pricey, (knowing what ebay has sold stuff at) they are negotiable for treasury notes & anonymity.

Above all, the right chemistry can turn a somewhat battered jacket into if not a waterproof then more shower resistant article - we just let rip with Nikwax TX Direct Wash In Waterproofer (amazon has it here) which is fiendish cunning stuff. Many a goretex that was loosing its miraculous power (but still had its seams taped) has been brought back from the back of a heap to the in-use-daily with that. Says one very happy user. We cheat & tumble dry it but it really does do fine on the line on a summers day (best time to buy winter coats anyway.)
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Apr 18, 3:02 PM
    • 20,548 Posts
    • 55,249 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Is it me...?

We have 3 (same) hospice shops, 1 in my village which is reasonably priced, 1 in town with OK prices and one in Mum's village which (imho) is very expensive.

In the latter shop, I saw a Joules top priced at £6, then luckily noticed a stain that might or might not have been oil/fat.
    I took it to the counter and the assistant (begrudgingly - after pointing out to me that 'it was an expensive make') offered to knock 50p off.
    I said if it was reduced to £3 and the stain came out I'd bring the extra £3 in next week.
    'oh no' she said, 'we'll wash it'.
    My reply was 'I'll leave it with you'.
    And I will - literally.
    I wouldn't buy it at any price now.

Am I being a grouch?

This same shop has a BNWT feather & down jacket by Crew Clothing priced at £40. Seems expensive to me but I've not checked the website yet.

ETA:
    they have the identical jacket on the website for £99.
    Am I mean to think £40 in a charity shop is too expensive?
    Today is the 3rd week the jacket has been there.
    Last edited by Pollycat; 10-04-2018 at 3:06 PM.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 10th Apr 18, 3:51 PM
    • 5,714 Posts
    • 24,675 Thanks
    Mirů

It is very very difficult, in my experience, to buy a waterproof jacket in decent nick from a chazzer.
    Sadly "hear, hear" unless the original donor bought or was given the wrong thing & rather than try to get the right one, donates it.

Above all, the right chemistry can turn a somewhat battered jacket into if not a waterproof then more shower resistant article - we just let rip with Nikwax TX Direct Wash In Waterproofer (amazon has it here) which is fiendish cunning stuff. Many a goretex that was loosing its miraculous power (but still had its seams taped) has been brought back from the back of a heap to the in-use-daily with that.
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    I must have been very fortunate then cos over the last 5 years or so I have acquired 3 Goretex walking jackets. a Barbour Riding jacket, all lightly worn, and an ordinary Barbour waxed jacket, BNWT, from chazza shops, never paying more than a fiver for any of them. My theory is that, being on the edge of the Dales and near the Peak District and North York Moors loads of peeps take up walking and outdoorsy pursuits - get all kitted up and then lose interest! So their expensive purchases end up in the charity shops and get snapped up by the likes of moi One of my fave finds ever was a pair of Brasher walking boots with a Goretex lining and Vibram soles. Looked as if they had only been worn once.

I also swear by the Nikwax TX stuff,,,,in fact the whole range of Nikwax products. However, I never actually buy it! I just do the monthly quiz, (easy peasy), on their website where you win their products.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 10th Apr 18, 3:54 PM
    • 5,714 Posts
    • 24,675 Thanks
    Mirů
    Is it me...?

We have 3 (same) hospice shops, 1 in my village which is reasonably priced, 1 in town with OK prices and one in Mum's village which (imho) is very expensive.

In the latter shop, I saw a Joules top priced at £6, then luckily noticed a stain that might or might not have been oil/fat.
    I took it to the counter and the assistant (begrudgingly - after pointing out to me that 'it was an expensive make') offered to knock 50p off.
    I said if it was reduced to £3 and the stain came out I'd bring the extra £3 in next week.
    'oh no' she said, 'we'll wash it'.
    My reply was 'I'll leave it with you'.
    And I will - literally.
    I wouldn't buy it at any price now.

Am I being a grouch?

This same shop has a BNWT feather & down jacket by Crew Clothing priced at £40. Seems expensive to me but I've not checked the website yet.

ETA:
    they have the identical jacket on the website for £99.
    Am I mean to think £40 in a charity shop is too expensive?
    Today is the 3rd week the jacket has been there.
    Yes, but rightly so!

No, deffo not!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Apr 18, 5:14 PM
    • 25,881 Posts
    • 55,135 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Fulfilled a need which has been pending for some time; a waterproof lightweight rain jacket suitable for gardening/ outdoorsy type stuff of the scruffy nature. £10.

It is very very difficult, in my experience, to buy a waterproof jacket in decent nick from a chazzer. This is the same brand as its aged predecessor, which has been a good and faithful servant and worn to pieces for the past seven years. One in, one out!
    Maybe you just haven't been divining hard enough?

I found one by accident from a chazzer a couple of months ago, M&S collection, v distinctive in a bright fuchsia, but in perfect condition and my size. Cost all of £2. It was a freezing cold Saturday and I went out in several thick layers, not thinking I would stray too far from the car but in the end I did. I tried it on in the shop and it fit over my multiple woolies, and left it on because it was so very cold outside. The chap at the till didn't realise it was his stock so I had to ask him to charge me for it!

Today I bought 4 novelty mugs at 50p each: 3 were oversized, and 1 was too cute to resist and came with its own coaster (I think I shall be gifting it). I also bought a couple of rigid plastic serving trays in cute designs at 50p each - much better than hitting the landfill I hope!

I then came across a new chazzer (to me) which sold all kinds of odds and sods. I bought 2 books for 80p, including this which I knew I wasn't going to find anywhere else:

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 12th Apr 18, 4:27 PM
    • 7,428 Posts
    • 10,735 Thanks
    KxMx
    Popped into a large CS last week for small plates, lovely set of 4 for £1.99.

While I was there had a quick look at furniture and purchased four of the below chairs for £70 delivered (one was free as it had a mark).

I've been hunting for this style of chair and had previously made many trips round the furniture CS's specifically without finding anything.

Old chairs have been Freecycled and are being picked up tonight.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 12th Apr 18, 6:30 PM
    • 5,714 Posts
    • 24,675 Thanks
    Mirů
    Pleased with my find today in the 99p shop. An M & S, 100% cashmere ladies sweater in a bright raspberry shade. Size 24 and bobbly over the bazooms and the elbows are a bit thin but I have plans for it . A couple of months ago I purchased a pair of 100% cashmere, fingerless gloves from an online company that re-cycles old cashmere sweaters and they have been just fab! Soft. light and so warm! Soooo....having a squiz online I found some destructions on how to make them myself. With the sweater being, (ahem), rather large I reckon I could get possibly 4 pairs at least. (Thinking prezzies for friends maybe). Even if I muck em up totally it won't exactly be a disaster.....
    • Hobsons Choice
    • By Hobsons Choice 12th Apr 18, 6:42 PM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 7,291 Thanks
    Hobsons Choice
    A lovely, hardly used, Samsonite hand luggage case £6. Perfect for Ryanair flights!
    Normal people worry me.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 12th Apr 18, 7:50 PM
    • 8,409 Posts
    • 9,432 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Winter trousers £9.99, PDSA. Rather more than I'd usually pay, but BNWT and £53 online.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    • 4,883 Posts
    • 45,331 Thanks
    Floss
    Miro that online company do recycling of cashmere, if you send them a sweater/cardi, they will send you some of their fingerless mittens for postage
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 12th Apr 18, 8:27 PM
    • 5,714 Posts
    • 24,675 Thanks
    Mirů
    Hi Floss, yes I had a look to see how much the postage would be for the Send a jumper and get a pair of gloves free' thingy and it worked out at about £6 for the postage both ways. Mind you the recycled cashmere gloves normally cost £26 I still thought it would be interesting to have a go myself after my enormous investment of 99p
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,068Posts Today

8,750Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin