Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,518Posts
    • 40,421Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Page 31
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 14th Mar 18, 9:27 AM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 35,629 Thanks
    dolly84
    I managed to get into town today and I have managed to find some great stuff!

A pale peach monsoon linen blend cardi - £2.99
    A grey sleeveless monsoon peasant blouse with a rose pattern - £1
    A really gorgeous long sleeved cream Oasis blouse with a pink and blue flower pattern- £3.49
    A navy, cotton peasant blouse with crochet and embroidery detail and wooden buttons by Mantaray- £3.95
    A muted cranberry short sleeved White Stuff dress with a Mantaray style pattern and two pockets (!!!!)- £6.95
    An alpaca/wool blend black structured cardi by Reiss- £3.95. I didn't know much about this make and googled it out of curiosity and I was at the prices

My two favourites have to be the Oasis blouse and the White Stuff dress. They are lovely
    Originally posted by Laredouter

I love dresses and skirts with pockets.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 14th Mar 18, 9:50 PM
    • 7,712 Posts
    • 22,363 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Himself strolled back today with Denby Cotswold teacups & saucers, and two very high end mountaineering tops, only one of which was big for the snappy dresser, so now two lads are turned out superb in case of serious cold. In time for the weekend, too!

He was looking for soapstone doodads to reshape, but they'd all been rehomed in the previous week. If he'd not found the tops, he'd have been a grouchy soul!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Mar 18, 8:12 AM
    • 20,058 Posts
    • 53,794 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Himself strolled back today with Denby Cotswold teacups & saucers, and two very high end mountaineering tops, only one of which was big for the snappy dresser, so now two lads are turned out superb in case of serious cold. In time for the weekend, too!

He was looking for soapstone doodads to reshape, but they'd all been rehomed in the previous week. If he'd not found the tops, he'd have been a grouchy soul!
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    My local Age UK shop has some Denby Troubadour, including a lidded individual soup bowl. I have one of these in Gypsy (minus the lid) on my desk as a pen holder.
    • cbsexec
    • By cbsexec 15th Mar 18, 11:23 AM
    • 351 Posts
    • 1,939 Thanks
    cbsexec
    A lovely pair of M&S jeggings on the £1 rail of our hospice shop. My bargains are few and far between but sometimes I get lucky.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Mar 18, 11:28 AM
    • 20,058 Posts
    • 53,794 Thanks
    Pollycat
    A lovely pair of M&S jeggings on the £1 rail of our hospice shop. My bargains are few and far between but sometimes I get lucky.
    Originally posted by cbsexec
    Usually great quality.

I'd rather pay £3.00 for M&S or Next leggings from a charity shop (obviously in very good condition) than buy a new pair from Primark for £2.50.
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 15th Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 3,020 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    Two maternity tops, one Next and one Mothercare £1 each. Local hospice shop.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 15th Mar 18, 4:20 PM
    • 5,664 Posts
    • 24,427 Thanks
    Mirů

Also saw a thick pashmina stylee wrap, plain red with a woven pattern of peacock feathers, priced at £1. I have been looking for something to go with a short sleeved red dress but was not sure if the shade/tone was quite right. Now regretting leaving it as would have gone with lots of other things. Not likely to get back there till Thurs/Fri and bound to have some by then....aaarrgghh!
    Originally posted by Mir!

Went back today and it was still there.....and it goes with the dress
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 15th Mar 18, 4:36 PM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 4,284 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam

Went back today and it was still there.....and it goes with the dress
    Oh Fab , Pleased for you, it does sound nice.

I have been very good lately and not entered a chazzer shop except to donate but I am having serious withdrawal lol so happy with all of your updates on the good finds

Not sure how long I can keep it up.

Sam x
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 15th Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    • 4,364 Posts
    • 9,923 Thanks
    Wizzbang
    Usually great quality.

I'd rather pay £3.00 for M&S or Next leggings from a charity shop (obviously in very good condition) than buy a new pair from Primark for £2.50.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Primark leggings are see-through - I cringe when I see people wearing them! Next leggings were awful quality too though - almost immediately sagged at the knees. I am currently rating Lidl (after some people rated them on these forums), although the sizing tends to come up small the quality is fabulous. I only buy cotton leggings though, at least 95% cotton and 5% elastane. Lidl's are even organic sometimes. River Island are great jeggings- might be a tad expensive, but last for years and are wonderfully comfortable with a wide waistband. Wish I could find high quality leggings with a wide waistband again.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £34,570.30
    (Not inc coupons, yellow stickies, bank interest or loyalty rewards because I have better things to do than catalogue everything!) Swagbucks £2,413.50
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 15th Mar 18, 5:49 PM
    • 4,776 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    My daughter has just passed on a gorgeous angora mix open jacket, black, with black embroidery and beading, and ribbed cuffs.
    She loved it but at 6' 2'', the sleeves were too short for her - not for me.

It looks as if it was one of those market stall/non-label buys from the early Nineties, I had a lovely black and white pearl beaded oversized jumper at that time, and I think I saw something like this on sale in the same shop.

This was bought from a local charity shop, I didn't ask my DD how much she paid, but it wouldn't have been more that a fiver.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 17th Mar 18, 1:37 PM
    • 5,664 Posts
    • 24,427 Thanks
    Mirů
    Set off to go to the hospice's latest initiative of a monthly Saturday jumble sale only to get caught in a blizzard of snow and hail. Must have been influenced by the weather as my only purchase was a b/n nightshirt-type garment in a blue check pattern, made from something that reminds me of the old fashioned flannelette, (do they still make that?), feels so warm and cosy! Priced at £1.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th Mar 18, 1:48 PM
    • 20,058 Posts
    • 53,794 Thanks
    Pollycat
    It's been a 'scarf' week for me.

From our hospice shop, a 100% silk long scarf in shades of maroon, dark rose, grey, lilac and taupe oblongs. £1.50

From Sue Ryder a very large, super-soft maroon shawl with flecks of all colours in it. £1.50
    No label, feels like cashmere - but what do I know?
    I've decided not to put it in the freezer.
    I'm wearing the latter today, it's sometimes cold in the pub.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th Mar 18, 1:51 PM
    • 20,058 Posts
    • 53,794 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Primark leggings are see-through - I cringe when I see people wearing them! Next leggings were awful quality too though - almost immediately sagged at the knees. I am currently rating Lidl (after some people rated them on these forums), although the sizing tends to come up small the quality is fabulous. I only buy cotton leggings though, at least 95% cotton and 5% elastane. Lidl's are even organic sometimes. River Island are great jeggings- might be a tad expensive, but last for years and are wonderfully comfortable with a wide waistband. Wish I could find high quality leggings with a wide waistband again.
    Originally posted by Wizzbang
    Not sure of the composition but M&S do some leggings with wide waistbands.
    At least 3 of the pairs I bought in the post-Christmas 90% sale have a 2" wide waistband.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 17th Mar 18, 3:26 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,539 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Must have been influenced by the weather as my only purchase was a b/n nightshirt-type garment in a blue check pattern, made from something that reminds me of the old fashioned flannelette, (do they still make that?), feels so warm and cosy! Priced at £1.
    OMG, I would love something like that, must be so warm in this weather. I sleep in flannel shirts, but a nightshirt would be even better.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 17th Mar 18, 3:48 PM
    • 2,170 Posts
    • 4,827 Thanks
    Artytarty
    Zara leggings have a lovely wide elastic top.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • C J
    • By C J 17th Mar 18, 4:08 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 6,115 Thanks
    C J
    I braved the weather and went to Nettlebed this morning - it was really miserable, bitterly cold with horizontal sleet stinging my face. On the plus side hardly anybody else was there, and on the double plus side they opened all the stalls very early so nobody had to queue. I didn!!!8217;t spend much (about £10 in total judging from what!!!8217;s left in my purse) and I bought some quite random things this time:

One of those plastic stick things for throwing tennis balls for the dog (we managed to snap ours)

A boxed, new, wooden Limbo set (younger daughter has a lot of summer parties and loves garden games)

A boxed, new set of brackets for making a saw horse (no idea how this works, Mister CJ was thrilled though)

An electric can opener (mine broke last week)

A brand new electric sandwich toaster

A set of craft scissors, the ones which cut different shaped wavy lines.

A large jar of marbles (daughter who is teacher uses these as a reward system apparently)

About a dozen small toys - I am going to make a !!!8220;Grandma!!!8217;s special treasure box!!!8221; of items which tiny grandson can play with when he comes to visit, and these (little dinosaurs, a small wooden car, chunky wooden figures of spacemen etc) will be a brilliant start to that collection.

Three new cuddly toys for Rufus the wonder dog. He!!!8217;s ripped the head off the toy lamb already, grr!

Two small oblong oven-to-freezer dishes (I!!!8217;m trying to build up a collection of inexpensive non plastic freezable containers)
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 17th Mar 18, 5:04 PM
    • 25,644 Posts
    • 54,373 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I've been bagging up a load of stuff to go to the chazzer (mainly at my mum's insistence , its formed a mountain under my stairs) and will drop it off in one go when I'm finished. I dived into couple of chazzers lately, mainly because I needed a walk and a break. Yesterday I bought a personalised stamping kit for £2, and today a couple of BN good quality mugs for 50p each.

I also bought my mum a part silk Phase Eight blouse for £3 - more than I would normally pay in a chazzer but this brand always looks good on her, it was in good condition AND yes I'm afraid I was swayed by the brand name.

I resisted a beautiful silk Monsoon lined dress in my size for £3 - for the simple reason it was dry clean only. That's not an outfit, that's an investment.
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 17-03-2018 at 5:06 PM.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    • 20,058 Posts
    • 53,794 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I also bought my mum a part silk Phase Eight blouse for £3 - more than I would normally pay in a chazzer but this brand always looks good on her, it was in good condition AND yes I'm afraid I was swayed by the brand name.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Whoa!
    That's a pretty good bargain.
    I resisted a beautiful silk Monsoon lined dress in my size for £3 - for the simple reason it was dry clean only. That's not an outfit, that's an investment.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I tend not to take much (any) notice of washing instructions but would maybe be wary of a lined dress as the lining may wash differently to the main dress.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 17th Mar 18, 10:31 PM
    • 5,664 Posts
    • 24,427 Thanks
    Mirů
    OMG, I would love something like that, must be so warm in this weather. I sleep in flannel shirts, but a nightshirt would be even better.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    Ermm...my very glamorous nightwear of late has consisted of sets of M & S thermal undies - long sleeved vesty tops and ankle length leggings originally purchased for a trip to Norway to see the Northern Lights. Never thought I would have occasion to wear them again in the UK but they have proved a boon in this blooming weather. My purchase today is deffo an improvement in the glamour dept!!
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 18th Mar 18, 8:10 AM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 35,629 Thanks
    dolly84
    Miro - I have two of those nightshirts, one is a thick one in red tartan from George and the other is thinner from Primark - both bought in the CS.

I had a bit of a haul yesterday

BNWT Next Tailoring Jacket
    - grey with silver grey lining, very interesting collar detail £3.50

Next Tailoring Jacket
    - grey with fine blue check £3

Long Tall Sally wide leg trousers, tweed with metallic gold check £3.50

Mia Moda (I think) tweed jacket with belt (indoor sort of jacket) £3.99

Next Tailoring fully lined shift dress
    in grey/black tweed £3.79

Our Age UK shop is closing for a refurb so everything was half price, that is where the two next jackets came from, I wouldn't have paid their full price, they are one of the more expensive shops.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,354Posts Today

6,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin