Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,496Posts
    • 40,147Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Page 30
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 11th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    • 7,698 Posts
    • 22,275 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Sudden flash of insight into why m'lady mother enjoys messing around with adequately burning candles.

She's Getting Back At folks.

Ulp.

That terrifying notion shoved behind me, new Boden at £10 a pair? Brilliant!
    And as for the finger test, at least it's more acceptable than husband tugging a loose thread & slipping out clutching a lighter. (He has very strong views on wool blends - since wool is largely safe around fires & blends are not.)
    Mind I once spent a happy twenty minutes sorting an entire drum of socks by size - as they were really nice socks, and we had a tiny footed friend. Every under-size-4 pair, I sorted out (& bought), then tidied the rest back into the drum.
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 11-03-2018 at 8:59 PM.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    • 20,022 Posts
    • 53,746 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Mis-matched stripes or tartan set my teeth on edge.
    It's something that really jumps out at me.
    Maybe it's the dressmaker in me.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    On the subject of patterns, I was looking at this Next dress for my holidays

That big grey splodge at the front would do my head in.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 12th Mar 18, 10:07 AM
    • 5,658 Posts
    • 24,401 Thanks
    Mirů
    On the subject of patterns, I was looking at this Next dress for my holidays

That big grey splodge at the front would do my head in.
    Why on earth have a seam down the front of such a simple dress? Doesn't look as if it's to do with the shape or fit of the garment? An 'UNMATCHED PATTERN' seam too I guess it's to do with costs and the placing of the dress pattern on the fabric in a more economical way?? Shame, would annoy me too Pollycat.
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 12th Mar 18, 10:36 AM
    • 3,961 Posts
    • 13,500 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    Thanks for your thoughts on funeral coats. I think I'll go for the smart mac, with black hat, scarf, gloves and long boots.

Bought 3 books and 2 tops at the weekend, but none were outstanding bargains. I saw a pretty orange Top Shop dress in BHF, but baulked at the £30 "as new" (not actually new) price tag!
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 12th Mar 18, 12:15 PM
    • 4,255 Posts
    • 29,388 Thanks
    tessie bear
    that's a very simple dress to warrant a front seam makes me wonder how it would hang mis matched pattern isn't my thing

wore one of my new skirts today its rather nice xx
    on the brink...
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Mar 18, 1:40 PM
    • 20,022 Posts
    • 53,746 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Why on earth have a seam down the front of such a simple dress? Doesn't look as if it's to do with the shape or fit of the garment? An 'UNMATCHED PATTERN' seam too I guess it's to do with costs and the placing of the dress pattern on the fabric in a more economical way?? Shame, would annoy me too Pollycat.
    Originally posted by Mir!
    that's a very simple dress to warrant a front seam makes me wonder how it would hang mis matched pattern isn't my thing
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    I looked at these dresses in Next (they have a number of different patterns) on Saturday.
    I can't see any reason for a front seam.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Mar 18, 3:31 PM
    • 4,496 Posts
    • 40,147 Thanks
    Floss
    It will be for pattern-laying on the fabric - you dressmakers will know that you can get more smaller half-front bits out of a length than full-fronts
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 12th Mar 18, 4:07 PM
    • 3,689 Posts
    • 59,240 Thanks
    silvasava
    F!oss - totally agree with you and the other posters. You can get away with a mismatch on a small pattern but certainly not on a large one! Like Miro my bugbear is stripes/checks not matching and tops with only pattern/decoration on the front.
    Funnily enough I had a top on I bought from Peacocks aand all the stripes matched on the body, the sleeve stripes matched with the body when your arms were down and the yoke trim was nicely stitched - for £8! Probably made in a sweatshop though
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Mar 18, 4:11 PM
    • 20,022 Posts
    • 53,746 Thanks
    Pollycat
    F!oss - totally agree with you and the other posters. You can get away with a mismatch on a small pattern but certainly not on a large one! Like Miro my bugbear is stripes/checks not matching and tops with only pattern/decoration on the front.
    Funnily enough I had a top on I bought from Peacocks aand all the stripes matched on the body, the sleeve stripes matched with the body when your arms were down and the yoke trim was nicely stitched - for £8! Probably made in a sweatshop though
    Originally posted by silvasava
    And stripes are 'in'.

Even my OH notices when striped are mis-matched. I've trained him well.
    • bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 12th Mar 18, 6:09 PM
    • 1,816 Posts
    • 2,123 Thanks
    bobsa1
    An unexpected afternoon off so a quick visit to the Charity shop. I've been flirting with the idea of buying dd a tea for one set from cath Kidston but couldn't really justify the price when I've bought some other things and we are giving her money. Anyhoo today in the cs what is sat there but a nice tea for one set with a teapot teacup and saucer thing all combined. I picked it up and yep it's cath Kidston but in a design I don't recognise so I could have overlooked it. Anyway it has become mine for the princely sum of £2.49 and will be wrapped nicely and added to the present pile
    • Flo61
    • By Flo61 12th Mar 18, 6:41 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    Flo61
    Turtle-doves.co.uk will recycle 100% cashmere jumpers and similar items -subject to strict criteria-and send in return fingerless gloves. Haven!!!8217;t tried it myself but might be worth bearing in mind when rummaging...
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Mar 18, 7:55 PM
    • 4,496 Posts
    • 40,147 Thanks
    Floss
    I've tried it - the fingerless gloves are fab for £3 a pair... Turtle Doves
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Mar 18, 8:02 PM
    • 20,022 Posts
    • 53,746 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I've tried it - the fingerless gloves are fab for £3 a pair... Turtle Doves
    Originally posted by Floss
    WOW! How fab is that!

Flo61 - great shout.
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 12th Mar 18, 8:36 PM
    • 2,822 Posts
    • 8,336 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Went to the charity shop today to look for the bowls that I mentioned last week. Hubby went down in the week but I had accidently sent him to the wrong shop! When I arrived into the shop the bowls were no longer there. On passing the assistant, I told him what I had come in for and with a stroke of luck they still had the set. They had just put them out back, had a change around.
    I now am on a mission to try and find other things in the 1960's set.
    I then went into another shop and found the book that I had been looking for, for months. James Patterson - The Big Bad Wolf.
    Yay, what a lucky day I have had!
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - to fill up the pot
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £2280/£6,000
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Mar 18, 9:35 PM
    • 25,625 Posts
    • 54,354 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Why on earth have a seam down the front of such a simple dress?
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    I looked at these dresses in Next (they have a number of different patterns) on Saturday.
    I can't see any reason for a front seam.
    I thought it was possibly the rear view of the dress.

You can do much better from Phase Eight.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 12th Mar 18, 10:17 PM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 4,280 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    The dress

I thought the splurge makes it a bit ugly to be honest but then I reminded myself of... my mother said if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all ..
    Last edited by moneyonmymindsam; 12-03-2018 at 10:34 PM.
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 12th Mar 18, 10:19 PM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 4,280 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    SORRY Pollycat didn't mean to be offensive !

Sam xx
    Last edited by moneyonmymindsam; 12-03-2018 at 10:24 PM.
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 13th Mar 18, 4:32 PM
    • 5,658 Posts
    • 24,401 Thanks
    Mirů
    In the community charity shop this afternoon I found a brand new, (in presentation box), man's tie. Pure 'silk', by 'Versace' and priced at £2.50....deffo genuine then! It has a typically garish colourful Versace-type pattern in shades of gold, hot pink and black. Gonna save it for The Bloke's birthday.....can't wait to see his face as it is soooo not him...tee hee! His style is more Farmer Giles than trendy designer

Also saw a thick pashmina stylee wrap, plain red with a woven pattern of peacock feathers, priced at £1. I have been looking for something to go with a short sleeved red dress but was not sure if the shade/tone was quite right. Now regretting leaving it as would have gone with lots of other things. Not likely to get back there till Thurs/Fri and bound to have some by then....aaarrgghh!
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Laredouter
    • By Laredouter 13th Mar 18, 5:17 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 234 Thanks
    Laredouter
    I managed to get into town today and I have managed to find some great stuff!

A pale peach monsoon linen blend cardi - £2.99
    A grey sleeveless monsoon peasant blouse with a rose pattern - £1
    A really gorgeous long sleeved cream Oasis blouse with a pink and blue flower pattern- £3.49
    A navy, cotton peasant blouse with crochet and embroidery detail and wooden buttons by Mantaray- £3.95
    A muted cranberry short sleeved White Stuff dress with a Mantaray style pattern and two pockets (!!!!)- £6.95
    An alpaca/wool blend black structured cardi by Reiss- £3.95. I didn't know much about this make and googled it out of curiosity and I was at the prices

My two favourites have to be the Oasis blouse and the White Stuff dress. They are lovely
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Mar 18, 5:48 PM
    • 20,022 Posts
    • 53,746 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I thought it was possibly the rear view of the dress.

You can do much better from Phase Eight.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I don't doubt it.
    But highly unlikely at £26 full price.

The dress

I thought the splurge makes it a bit ugly to be honest but then I reminded myself of... my mother said if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all ..
    Originally posted by moneyonmymindsam
    No offence taken.
    I agree 100%.
    The photo was just to highlight how awful (or ugly) mis-matched patterns can look.
    They do a much nicer pattern (albeit still with a seam down the front) in a pale grey and a lovely summery yellow.

Laredouter:
    Fab bargains.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

5,815Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin