Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,580Posts
    • 41,312Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Page 3
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 6th Jan 18, 4:32 PM
    • 3,725 Posts
    • 59,823 Thanks
    silvasava
    Just had a look in my box that I keep wrapping paper, gift cards and bags in & discovered a set of B&H that I was given last christmas - I wont re-gift as I'll use the handwash - not sure about the hand cream though .
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Floss
    • By Floss 6th Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    • 4,580 Posts
    • 41,312 Thanks
    Floss
    silvasava how about as foot cream?
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 6th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    • 3,725 Posts
    • 59,823 Thanks
    silvasava
    Good idea Floss - thank you.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • rchj4
    • By rchj4 6th Jan 18, 4:45 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    rchj4
    Just got a TV with a DVD player incorporated in it for my bedroom .
    I'm having a great time finding DVDs in the charity shops ! The max price seems to be £! but some are only 4 for £1. Many of them will be taken back to a CS when I've watched them .
    Trying to reduce my weight again so fortunately my bedroom 'cinema room' is a long way from the fridge !!!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 6th Jan 18, 5:08 PM
    • 11,901 Posts
    • 229,664 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Took another bag of books to the chazzer and browsed that and several more. Because I'd overheard in several charity shops that trade has been slow this week, I felt honour-bound to ease the vise on my purse.

From the Everything 50p chazzer; a pair of Pap@ya grey office-y trousers and a pair of loungewear trews in an incredibly soft viscose. Shame their top has got separated from them (appear to be new) but I shall look forward to wearing those; muted dark purple with a white floral print on, looks nicer than it sounds, I assure you).

There were other things I could have bought but I restrained myself due to space (lack thereof). I saw zero B & H sets, but did see some other faux-fancy sets of other toiletries, which I managed to resist.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• dolly84
    • By dolly84 6th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    • 3,867 Posts
    • 35,839 Thanks
    dolly84
    We have had a little trawl round the shops today and managed to get the following:

Spotty Sainsburys Teapot £1, Whistles printed thin knit jumper £2.60, BNWT M&S super skinny jeans in a raspberry colour £3.99, Hype sweatshirt for DS £2, BNWT microfibre hair wrap £1.25, BNWT Bradford Sock Company wool socks £2.99 for DH.

DD got some lovely checked cigarette pants for £2.20, only Primark but look unworn and also a checked skirt she has been looking at for ages, it was £3.49 and she thought it too much, today it was 1/2 price.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 6th Jan 18, 5:39 PM
    • 3,867 Posts
    • 35,839 Thanks
    dolly84
    Miro - that sewing box sounds like an interesting find.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 6th Jan 18, 6:17 PM
    • 7,813 Posts
    • 22,979 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    In a dog rehoming charity shop today, (for pennies but I rounded it up as they're nice folk), one pair of horrendously pink & yellow & unspeakably girlie patterned-without-actually-having-lace socks, for wearing to the gym. My work socks can remain Firmly Disassociated from the trainers etc.

Gradually I am assembling a "gym wardrobe" which noone will recognise me in! (Let alone try to nick.) Also in colours that go charmingly with the high-vis waistcoat, to make hitting me ambling to & from demonstrably a deliberate act. I've even got a set of ultracheap not quite suitable for bike lights. (Anyone might think I Do Not Want Me damaged.)
    • foxyloxy11
    • By foxyloxy11 6th Jan 18, 6:28 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 1,588 Thanks
    foxyloxy11
    Ah, mystery solved, thank you . I will still have a go at using it, rather than waste it, although it's not something I would usually use (can't re-gift, etc. as I threw box away).

It's the thought that counts!
    Originally posted by Irenadler
    I agree and actually i think the stuff is fine. Smells good keeps you clean...what more do you want
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £1000.00.00/£1000 Baby Step 1-COMPLETE
    Debt free day October 2019 - End of Baby Step 2 (A work in progress)
    • Floss
    • By Floss 6th Jan 18, 7:20 PM
    • 4,580 Posts
    • 41,312 Thanks
    Floss
    I can't use B&H as it irritates my skin...
    • pinkladyvenus
    • By pinkladyvenus 6th Jan 18, 10:14 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    pinkladyvenus
    Got a pair of Reef sandals for £1, brand new, at a local charity shop that sells every thing that is donated, it is a bit of an Aladin's cave.
    Sealed pot challenge member 437
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 6th Jan 18, 10:31 PM
    • 4,066 Posts
    • 44,744 Thanks
    Barny1979
    Lurking in advance of this years' bargains
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 7th Jan 18, 5:02 PM
    • 8,198 Posts
    • 9,089 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    I bought a stack (3 for £1, Red Cross) of books as birthday presents for a friend.

I now have to hope he wasn't having a clear-out before Christmas and that I haven't bought him his old books back!
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    Another 3 for £1 books and a DVD 50p, Hospice shop.

I've wrapped them all separately so he has 7 pressies to open!!!
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • C J
    • By C J 7th Jan 18, 5:14 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 6,311 Thanks
    C J
    I was in need of some material for a craft project but before heading to the fabric shop in a nearby town, I wandered through the neighbouring charity shops. I was delighted to find two massive pairs of curtains in a fantastic modern child!!!8217;s print which will be perfect for my project - £5 for the lot, Jonelle (John Lewis) brand, and in very very good clean condition. Metres and metres of good quality material, I!!!8217;m so pleased.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • Miró
    • By Miró 9th Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 5,672 Posts
    • 24,481 Thanks
    Miró
    Brrrrrrr! Went for a walk around the local charity shops in the freezing cold this afty. Hardly a soul around...all the shops were empty of customers. In fact, in one shop the elderly assistant was fast asleep seated behind the till!. I mooched around fruitlessly for 10 mins or so and still the woman was fast asleep. I was tempted to poke her just to make sure she was only asleep but then she started snoring so I left her unpoked

Got to my last chazza shop - the big Sue Ryder place without having found anything interesting so far....then I spotted a pair of b/n Boden shoes...burgundy, small slim heel, tassels on the front, leather uppers, leather linings and leather soles. Gorgeous quality, the soles even had protective stick on plastic covers in place. Fitted perfectly but priced at £9 which is rather more than I usually pay for chazza shoes, even b/n ones, but I haven't spent much since before Christmas so I decided to splurge.

Had a good squiz at the furniture too having been told that the Emmerdale TV prog people had recently donated a lot of furniture used in the soap. Some very unusual pieces....good job I don't have room for anything Apparently, when they change the sets they always share out the furniture no longer required among the local charity shops.
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Jan 18, 8:42 AM
    • 20,187 Posts
    • 54,176 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Brrrrrrr! Went for a walk around the local charity shops in the freezing cold this afty. Hardly a soul around...all the shops were empty of customers. In fact, in one shop the elderly assistant was fast asleep seated behind the till!. I mooched around fruitlessly for 10 mins or so and still the woman was fast asleep. I was tempted to poke her just to make sure she was only asleep but then she started snoring so I left her unpoked

Got to my last chazza shop - the big Sue Ryder place without having found anything interesting so far....then I spotted a pair of b/n Boden shoes...burgundy, small slim heel, tassels on the front, leather uppers, leather linings and leather soles. Gorgeous quality, the soles even had protective stick on plastic covers in place. Fitted perfectly but priced at £9 which is rather more than I usually pay for chazza shoes, even b/n ones, but I haven't spent much since before Christmas so I decided to splurge.

Had a good squiz at the furniture too having been told that the Emmerdale TV prog people had recently donated a lot of furniture used in the soap. Some very unusual pieces....good job I don't have room for anything Apparently, when they change the sets they always share out the furniture no longer required among the local charity shops.
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Great bargain!

I bought a pair of George leggings in a pewter-grey with black 'flock' swirly patterns in new condition. Very nice, I have a plain black top and grey Laredoute cardigan that will look great with them together with my silver Clarks Chelsea boots.
    Air Ambulance £1.00
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 10th Jan 18, 12:29 PM
    • 10,121 Posts
    • 16,441 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    Yesterday - a Cath Kidston holdall/shopper bag for £1 . It was covered in dust as if it had been in someone's loft for decades, but cleaned up lovely.

Also a George polo shirt for OH for 50p, after a wash it looks like new, no wear on the collar (I always check) and no stained armpits lol. He does a lot of painting (assistant caretaker at a school on a casual basis) so gets paint all over his clothes. For 50p it doesn't matter!
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 10th Jan 18, 1:03 PM
    • 4,258 Posts
    • 29,404 Thanks
    tessie bear
    i love a bit of cath k thats a great find xx
    on the brink...
    • Miró
    • By Miró 10th Jan 18, 1:59 PM
    • 5,672 Posts
    • 24,481 Thanks
    Miró
    On the bus back from Otley at the mo - ain’t free wifi on the buses great! A small find today but one I’m pleased with for 50p. An Egyptian stylee gold coloured collar-type necklace...a real statement piece if I ever dare to wear it. From the St Gemma’s 99p shop.
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Jan 18, 2:02 PM
    • 20,187 Posts
    • 54,176 Thanks
    Pollycat
    On the bus back from Otley at the mo - ain’t free wifi on the buses great! A small find today but one I’m pleased with for 50p. An Egyptian stylee gold coloured collar-type necklace...a real statement piece if I ever dare to wear it. From the St Gemma’s 99p shop.
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Oooooh. Sounds interesting.
    Can you post a pic?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,458Posts Today

6,866Users online

Martin's Twitter