Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,497Posts
    • 40,178Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Page 29
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 10th Mar 18, 3:03 PM
    • 4,364 Posts
    • 9,923 Thanks
    Wizzbang
    I think most of the posters on here buy their stuff from charity shops and then re-donate to the charity shop of their choice.

I don't look at the style of label to date a garment.
    I'm not a fashion victim or fashion junkie.
    I buy what I like at the price I'm happy with.
    I can't remember the last time I bought anything new - my choice, not necessity.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    For sure, if I could afford to just re-donate I would. But whether I buy anything new (always in the sales) or second hand or if it's given to me - I have to try to sell it as a first port of call. We just don't have enough money not to. Especially as I can see from other people's comments, where I live, I have to pay high prices even for second hand items.

I think it's as important to look at the labels on a garment, as it is to feel the fabric, examine it, look at the stitching etc. But I'll admit, in another life I would have studied fashion and I spend a good deal of my own time reading about fashion history. Not that I keep up with current trends, or anything - for one, I'm far too old for that and for two, it's not about fashion - it's about design, quality, the cut, the fabric and so on. Labels can help you to date a garment - fabric ages, just like anything else. So buying, for example, a 20 year old White Stuff piece, it unlikely to be a sound investment of my money. It also helps to be aware if it's a vintage piece (vintage is now anything from the 1990s or earlier). Often these pieces need more careful washing and repairs than more modern garments. So for example, I always hand wash them because the fabrics will be far more delicate. Sometimes they need attention from my sewing machine, holes darning etc. I would bother doing all of this on a vintage Laura Ashley for example, but not a vintage New Look or Monsoon piece. All of which I can tell from the labels!

You can also use labels to help know if you've stumbled across a real, early gem. Often designer, but not always - but probably of no interest to your average shopper, but to a fashion history geek like me, it can be terribly exciting. I've an eye for it now and can pick out pieces that have even had their labels removed, just from the style, cut, quality of fabric, pattern on fabric etc. I then can get them home and use my books to identify the piece, name of the fabric print etc. But I doubt that would interest many.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £34,570.30
    (Not inc coupons, yellow stickies, bank interest or loyalty rewards because I have better things to do than catalogue everything!) Swagbucks £2,413.50
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 10th Mar 18, 3:28 PM
    • 4,255 Posts
    • 29,388 Thanks
    tessie bear
    I found the 50p rail in the age concern clearance shop enjoyed looking along that also found a rich seam of long skirs in the cr shop £2 a pop I got 5 2 of them bnwt the monsson skirt I liked was way too big but was delighted with what I found hope everyone else is lucky
    on the brink...
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th Mar 18, 6:37 PM
    • 7,698 Posts
    • 22,279 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Rousing cheers for the Children's Society! Not only have I found their Chorley store shifts its entire stock each week (to other stores if it hasn't sold in the flagshop store opposite Booths), but their shop in Keighley had a heap of Denby Ode smack in my price range & right up there in quality.
    The assistant set about with sheets of tissue & then stepped back (smiling sweetly) as I set to & bundled up the cups.
    Some days being a happy Denbyholic lets you get away with near murder!
    Mind, the cat rescue place had a 10 pence shelf (!) & the Denby Cotswold plate just 'dinged!' at me. Son just rolled his eyes as I handed him a bag to hold open...
    • TM6
    • By TM6 10th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 4,087 Thanks
    TM6
    Rousing cheers for the Children's Society! Not only have I found their Chorley store shifts its entire stock each week (to other stores if it hasn't sold in the flagshop store opposite Booths), but their shop in Keighley had a heap of Denby Ode smack in my price range & right up there in quality.
    The assistant set about with sheets of tissue & then stepped back (smiling sweetly) as I set to & bundled up the cups.
    Some days being a happy Denbyholic lets you get away with near murder!
    Mind, the cat rescue place had a 10 pence shelf (!) & the Denby Cotswold plate just 'dinged!' at me. Son just rolled his eyes as I handed him a bag to hold open...
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Do you keep your Denby or do you sell it on?
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th Mar 18, 9:36 PM
    • 7,698 Posts
    • 22,279 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Currently, I hang onto it like a bullpup. Unless it's Greenwich, at which point I refer it to a pal & ship it over if she wants it, and hang onto if not.
    The "great wall of china" in our house does not refer to a stonking Chinese artefact & tourist attraction but the literal challenge the Denby acquisition habit presents to getting around the front room (& other areas, ahem. I did a sort one Christmas & there's a lovely photo, titled simply "DontRun"...)

It's a sort of pension, a sort of reference collection, a sort of memento mori to the grandmothers who used it daily & whose still whole pieces I acquired on their demise & a solid habit I have carefully nurtured in my menfolk. It all started with crooning over flowers & Himself discovering the same croon occurred over the right basestamped teacup.
    The lads have learned that I will use their height & good nature mercilessly & now take preemptive measures by either spotting the stuff before I do, or refusing to enter the shop. (As they are at home doing schoolwork, or having driving lessons or other very robust pretexts!)
    I need to do another sort sometime but we have stuff to ebay hogging the floorspace I need! Also the chaps are a lot bigger now.

I'll have to start selling one day (or writing the next volume in Denby reference 1995 onwards which given my love of the 50s stuff might be tricky), but I think I'll get the chaps out of the house first. Tell you, it adds to (the considerable delights of) watching Father Brown, playing Spot The Teapot...
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 10th Mar 18, 10:22 PM
    • 10,111 Posts
    • 16,365 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    "Great wall of china" - love that .
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• dolly84
    • By dolly84 11th Mar 18, 8:23 AM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 35,618 Thanks
    dolly84
    Yesterday I bought a double bed sized American Quilt - this is the brand name rather than actually being american. It is in muted pinks and greens, huge and in excellent condition for £5
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Mar 18, 9:35 AM
    • 20,031 Posts
    • 53,754 Thanks
    Pollycat
    For sure, if I could afford to just re-donate I would. But whether I buy anything new (always in the sales) or second hand or if it's given to me - I have to try to sell it as a first port of call. We just don't have enough money not to. Especially as I can see from other people's comments, where I live, I have to pay high prices even for second hand items.

I think it's as important to look at the labels on a garment, as it is to feel the fabric, examine it, look at the stitching etc. But I'll admit, in another life I would have studied fashion and I spend a good deal of my own time reading about fashion history. Not that I keep up with current trends, or anything - for one, I'm far too old for that and for two, it's not about fashion - it's about design, quality, the cut, the fabric and so on. Labels can help you to date a garment - fabric ages, just like anything else. So buying, for example, a 20 year old White Stuff piece, it unlikely to be a sound investment of my money. It also helps to be aware if it's a vintage piece (vintage is now anything from the 1990s or earlier). Often these pieces need more careful washing and repairs than more modern garments. So for example, I always hand wash them because the fabrics will be far more delicate. Sometimes they need attention from my sewing machine, holes darning etc. I would bother doing all of this on a vintage Laura Ashley for example, but not a vintage New Look or Monsoon piece. All of which I can tell from the labels!

You can also use labels to help know if you've stumbled across a real, early gem. Often designer, but not always - but probably of no interest to your average shopper, but to a fashion history geek like me, it can be terribly exciting. I've an eye for it now and can pick out pieces that have even had their labels removed, just from the style, cut, quality of fabric, pattern on fabric etc. I then can get them home and use my books to identify the piece, name of the fabric print etc. But I doubt that would interest many.
    Originally posted by Wizzbang
    Personally, I don't think labels are that important.

Like GreyQueen has said previously, I'm a 'fabric feeler'.
    It's that - and the pattern of an item - that will stop me long enough to have a second look.
    It's only then that I'll have a look to see what brand it is.
    If it was a Balenciaga or a Zandra Rhodes , it wouldn't get a second look from me if it didn't feel nice and the fabric pattern didn't appeal.
    And I don't buy for investment, I buy for the 'ooooh, I like that and it will look great with....' feeling.

My sis remarked on the fact that I touch a lot of garments - rub them through my fingers) when we're out shopping (proper shops yesterday, rather than charity shops) and it's that that does it for me, not a label.

So I think we must conclude that we have very different ideas about charity shopping and what constitutes a good buy and we have different reasons for shopping in second-hand shops and the prices in my area appear to be cheaper than in yours.

And moving back to the thread topic, I bought a lovely Ted Baker zip-around silky fabric covered box (empty). It was probably originally a toiletries gift set.
    It's 7" x 5" x 3" and a lovely dusky pink with vivid coloured flowers on.
    It was £2.00 from Cancer Research.
    Not 100% sure what I'll use it for - I have a collection of vintage silver brooches so maybe I'll put those in there. But it will look very smart on my dressing table.

I also bought a grey marl top, long enough to cover my bum when wearing leggings.
    It's round-necked, short sleeved and has a trim of half a black zip from the neckline down to the sleeve, sort-of where the armpit is.
    Sounds bizarre but it looks funky (if an 'almost state pensioner' should be looking funky ).
    No brand but it does have a massive tag on with Turkish writing on and Istanbul contact details so may be a sample.
    £1.00 Air Ambulance.

DigForVictory - another great Denby find.

Dolly84 - the quilt sounds lovely. Have you looked at their website?
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 11th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    • 4,134 Posts
    • 11,249 Thanks
    Hermia
    I look at labels because I know what labels fit me. I am a petite hourglass which is a shape very few brands seem to cater for. There is no point in me spending time looking at fabric etc and then realising it's from a brand that never ever caters for my shape. I am trying to learn to alter clothing, but I am not terribly good at it so I try and stick with the brands that fit me.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Mar 18, 11:41 AM
    • 20,031 Posts
    • 53,754 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I look at labels because I know what labels fit me. I am a petite hourglass which is a shape very few brands seem to cater for. There is no point in me spending time looking at fabric etc and then realising it's from a brand that never ever caters for my shape. I am trying to learn to alter clothing, but I am not terribly good at it so I try and stick with the brands that fit me.
    Originally posted by Hermia
    That's why I said:
    because to me - from my standpoint, in my own opinion - they aren't important.
    I appreciate that they are to some - for different reasons.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    • 25,627 Posts
    • 54,355 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    That's why I said:

because to me - from my standpoint, in my own opinion - they aren't important.
    I appreciate that they are to some - for different reasons.
    I ain't gonna lie - if I saw a designer name that fit at the right price I would have to think hard about leaving it on the rail. Even if I know I may never wear it

Seems I'm a sucker for snake oil after all
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Mar 18, 12:29 PM
    • 20,031 Posts
    • 53,754 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I ain't gonna lie - if I saw a designer name that fit at the right price I would have to think hard about leaving it on the rail. Even if I know I may never wear it

Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    If I didn't like the fabric or the fabric pattern or the style, I'd leave it on the rail.
    Labels - for their name only - really are not important to me.
    If I found a fabulous dress in great fabric in a style that suited me and it was a (for example) Stella McCartney, I'd buy it and be happy about my bargain.
    But more so for the fabric and style than the name sewn in the back.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 11th Mar 18, 12:56 PM
    • 5,661 Posts
    • 24,404 Thanks
    Mirů

Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Me too! I have several items that I purchased knowing that, even tho I love 'em, I am unlikely to wear 'em. It gives me pleasure just looking at them and knowing I own them however daft that may be. For e.g. Ages ago I bought a pair of b/n electric blue, strappy, impossibly high evening shoes complete with diamante trim supposedly by Louboutin but probably fakes. I just luurve them and have them displayed on a shelf in my bedroom!

It's that - and the pattern of an item - that will stop me long enough to have a second look.
    If it was a Balenciaga or a Zandra Rhodes , it wouldn't get a second look from me if it didn't feel nice and the fabric pattern didn't appeal.
    And I don't buy for investment, I buy for the 'ooooh, I like that and it will look great with....' feeling.

So I think we must conclude that we have very different ideas about charity shopping and what constitutes a good buy and we have different reasons for shopping in second-hand shops .....

I have so many cogs whirring in my brain when deciding on a purchase in a charity shop......it's a wonder I don't explode

Style, colour, make, quality of fabric, pattern (does it match), good quality finish, new or little wear, no bobbling, hem/sleeve/leg length, fit (especially trousers...no bootleg, wide leg, super skinny, low rise), no alterations by previous owner.....
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Mar 18, 1:12 PM
    • 25,627 Posts
    • 54,355 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I just luurve them and have them displayed on a shelf in my bedroom!
    Originally posted by Mir!
    So its not just me then! On proud display on my tailor's dummy in my dressing room is something very similar to this, heavily sequinned rather than lace:

I won't say how little much I bought it for but I've had pricier cups of coffee
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Mar 18, 1:12 PM
    • 20,031 Posts
    • 53,754 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Me too! I have several items that I purchased knowing that, even tho I love 'em, I am unlikely to wear 'em. It gives me pleasure just looking at them and knowing I own them however daft that may be. For e.g. Ages ago I bought a pair of b/n electric blue, strappy, impossibly high evening shoes complete with diamante trim supposedly by Louboutin but probably fakes. I just luurve them and have them displayed on a shelf in my bedroom!

I have so many cogs whirring in my brain when deciding on a purchase in a charity shop......it's a wonder I don't explode

Style, colour, make, quality of fabric, pattern (does it match), good quality finish, new or little wear, no bobbling, hem/sleeve/leg length, fit (especially trousers...no bootleg, wide leg, super skinny, low rise), no alterations by previous owner.....
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Mis-matched stripes or tartan set my teeth on edge.
    It's something that really jumps out at me.
    Maybe it's the dressmaker in me.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 11th Mar 18, 2:17 PM
    • 4,497 Posts
    • 40,178 Thanks
    Floss
    Pollycat I have one of those TB boxes too - mine houses my epilator & its plug & cable
    • Dark Star
    • By Dark Star 11th Mar 18, 7:24 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    Dark Star
    Visited a small Oxfam on Friday...books on sale at 3 for 2 & reasonable at around 50p upwards anyway. Splurged £1.50 on 3 books & then the lady on the till insisted on creasing the cheapest book open & WRITING in pencil "free in sale" inside the cover.

I shall be rubbing that out but have never encountered such wanton desecration of a book before

AGHAGHAGHAGHAGHGHAGHGHAGHAGHGAHGAHGAHGAHG
    Lurking in a galaxy far far away...
    • bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 11th Mar 18, 7:30 PM
    • 1,816 Posts
    • 2,123 Thanks
    bobsa1
    Some may not consider this a bargain but I got a brand new with label pair of trousers by Boden today. They are from the scope shop that takes boden excess stock and cost me £10 I know that might sound a lot but boden trousers are very expensive and they are brand new
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 11th Mar 18, 8:13 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 4,650 Thanks
    ploppy57

My sis remarked on the fact that I touch a lot of garments - rub them through my fingers) when we're out shopping (proper shops yesterday, rather than charity shops) and it's that that does it for me, not a label.

So I think we must conclude that we have very different ideas about charity shopping and what constitutes a good buy and we have different reasons for shopping in second-hand shops and the prices in my area appear to be cheaper than in yours.

And moving back to the thread topic, I bought a lovely Ted Baker zip-around silky fabric covered box (empty). It was probably originally a toiletries gift set.
    It's 7" x 5" x 3" and a lovely dusky pink with vivid coloured flowers on.
    It was £2.00 from Cancer Research.
    Not 100% sure what I'll use it for - I have a collection of vintage silver brooches so maybe I'll put those in there. But it will look very smart on my dressing table.

I also bought a grey marl top, long enough to cover my bum when wearing leggings.
    It's round-necked, short sleeved and has a trim of half a black zip from the neckline down to the sleeve, sort-of where the armpit is.
    Sounds bizarre but it looks funky (if an 'almost state pensioner' should be looking funky ).
    No brand but it does have a massive tag on with Turkish writing on and Istanbul contact details so may be a sample.
    £1.00 Air Ambulance.

DigForVictory - another great Denby find.

Dolly84 - the quilt sounds lovely. Have you looked at their website?

I'm like you....a feeler...lol. I feel everything and if I don't like it, it won't get a second look. Went to buy new socks today and OH got annoyed as it took me ages 'cause I didn't like the feel of some of them....lol
    DMP March '15 £57,549. Now £44,430. almost 23% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... Building up slowly.
    Christmas '18 challenge... £22 /£300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    • 20,031 Posts
    • 53,754 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Visited a small Oxfam on Friday...books on sale at 3 for 2 & reasonable at around 50p upwards anyway. Splurged £1.50 on 3 books & then the lady on the till insisted on creasing the cheapest book open & WRITING in pencil "free in sale" inside the cover.

I shall be rubbing that out but have never encountered such wanton desecration of a book before

AGHAGHAGHAGHAGHGHAGHGHAGHAGHGAHGAHGAHGAHG
    Originally posted by Dark Star
    S'ok.
    I've got it.
    A wax model of said assistant and I'm currently poking needles into her eyes.
    As you say, not necessary.
    Even if I've bought a 2nd hand book, I still feel it deserves respect.

Some may not consider this a bargain but I got a brand new with label pair of trousers by Boden today. They are from the scope shop that takes boden excess stock and cost me £10 I know that might sound a lot but boden trousers are very expensive and they are brand new
    Originally posted by bobsa1
    I know Boden is expensive and if the trousers fit and are what you want, £10 is a good price.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

1,326Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin