Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,494Posts
    • 40,133Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Page 28
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Mar 18, 9:15 AM
    • 20,013 Posts
    • 53,723 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Pollycat - I like White Stuff too. I know what you mean about the jersey bobbling, it's where the arm brushes the boobs mainly.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    I was flicking through the tops rail in my hospice shop and a teal patterned top (White Stuff) stopped me in my tracks.
    "Ooooh" I thought "that's very nice".
    Then I realised that it was identical to the one I'd donated there a few months ago (and was probably the same one).

At least I'm consistent.
    • Miró
    • By Miró 9th Mar 18, 3:41 PM
    • 5,656 Posts
    • 24,388 Thanks
    Miró
    In need of a walk today as yesterday's snow has all gone so I ended up in my favourite community chazza and there I found a pair of smart, navy, ankle grazer trousers, as new and priced at £3.50. I was drawn to them mainly by the quality of the fabric (cotton, polyester & elastane) and the style, (no unnecessary pockets to gape or pull and high enough in the waist so no 'muffin top'). I was surprised to find the make was Papaya which I believe is Matalan. I would never ever think of going into a Matalan normally as I seem to remember going in once years ago and thinking how shoddy everything was. Just shows dunnit?? Anyhoo, I thought about leaving them in the hope they would turn up on the half price rail next week but after trying them on and finding them a perfect fit...I decided I dare not risk someone else nabbing them
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 9th Mar 18, 3:58 PM
    • 4,134 Posts
    • 11,249 Thanks
    Hermia
    In need of a walk today as yesterday's snow has all gone so I ended up in my favourite community chazza and there I found a pair of smart, navy, ankle grazer trousers, as new and priced at £3.50. I was drawn to them mainly by the quality of the fabric (cotton, polyester & elastane) and the style, (no unnecessary pockets to gape or pull and high enough in the waist so no 'muffin top'). I was surprised to find the make was Papaya which I believe is Matalan. I would never ever think of going into a Matalan normally as I seem to remember going in once years ago and thinking how shoddy everything was. Just shows dunnit?? Anyhoo, I thought about leaving them in the hope they would turn up on the half price rail next week but after trying them on and finding them a perfect fit...I decided I dare not risk someone else nabbing them
    Originally posted by Mir!
    I got a Papaya white blouse for work in a chazzer. I too was impressed with the quality. It was really thick cotton so you couldn't see your bra through it which was a nice change from the practically see-through white blouses in most shops. I haven't been in a Matalan for years mainly because I found their ridiculous system of not allowing you to shop there without a membership card so annoying.
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 9th Mar 18, 4:09 PM
    • 3,960 Posts
    • 13,497 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    Not strictly CS related, but there are some knowledgable posters on here:

Which coat do you think best for a funeral please:

-black, but parka style with fake fur hood, worried it's a bit casual.
    -cream mac, much smarter, but not as warm.

How important is black these days? Deceased is a distant relative of my partner, who I never met.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 9th Mar 18, 4:53 PM
    • 8,044 Posts
    • 8,888 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    proms think we got off lightly having a son but still got a suit
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    At least a suit, if not too outlandish in style, can be worn for job interviews or weddings and funerals.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 9th Mar 18, 4:54 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 4,650 Thanks
    ploppy57

How important is black these days? Deceased is a distant relative of my partner, who I never met.
    Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly

I would always choose smart over casual. Maybe you could accessorise the cream coat with a black or navy scarf, handbag and boots/shoes. Even a black or navy hat if its cold and maybe dark trousers or skirt and top. I don't think people mind too much if mourners don't wear all black.
    Personally I am not keen on the casual look for funerals. when my OH's grandma passed away, the aunt that was organising the funeral, stated casual. She and her sister went in black jeans and black zippy tops! BIL turned up in cut off grey shorts and black Tshirt. OH wore a navy suit and tie and his parents commented on how smart he looked compared to the others. ...just my take on things. I am aware not everyone will agree though.
    DMP March '15 £57,549. Now £44,430. almost 23% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... Building up slowly.
    Christmas '18 challenge... £22 /£300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
    • Miró
    • By Miró 9th Mar 18, 5:32 PM
    • 5,656 Posts
    • 24,388 Thanks
    Miró

I too would go for the cream mac, with dark accessories......get your thermals on underneath if necessary! What does your partner think....does he know the rest of the family well and what their expectations might be?
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Mar 18, 6:25 PM
    • 11,838 Posts
    • 228,413 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Thanks for the remark that Papaya is a Matalan brand, as I was on the verge of googling it to find out.

This week I've been wearing a pair of grey Papaya dressy trousers with a grown-on waistband and a side zip. They have a very nice cut and the fabric is decent. I'm impressed.

Mind you, as they came from the Everything 50p Chazzer, I wouldn't have been too out-of-pocket if they hadn't worked out.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 9th Mar 18, 7:00 PM
    • 10,106 Posts
    • 16,358 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    I haven't been in a Matalan for years mainly because I found their ridiculous system of not allowing you to shop there without a membership card so annoying.
    Originally posted by Hermia
    What? That's a new one on me. Don't they want your custom if you don't join their card scheme then?
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• Hermia
    • By Hermia 9th Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    • 4,134 Posts
    • 11,249 Thanks
    Hermia
    What? That's a new one on me. Don't they want your custom if you don't join their card scheme then?
    Originally posted by Bogof_Babe
    They may have changed it since, but when I used to go there you had to have their membership card to buy anything. Once I forgot it and they said I couldn't buy anything so suggested I take out another card. No thanks! I haven't been there since.
    • Miró
    • By Miró 9th Mar 18, 7:08 PM
    • 5,656 Posts
    • 24,388 Thanks
    Miró
    Originally posted by Bogof_Babe

Looks like you don't actually have to have one now.....from their website:-

Do I need a reward card to shop?

No, however why not pick up a form while you’re in store or visit our dedicated reward card site; www.matalancard.co.uk and check out the great benefits of being a Matalan card holder.

I'm sure I remember, yonks, ago having to pay £1 to get a membership card in order to be 'allowed' to shop??!!
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 9th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    • 4,776 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29

I would always choose smart lighter colour over casual darker colour for a funeral. People rarely “expect” mourners to wear black now. The chances are that they wouldn’t even notice that a more casual outfit was black, but would notice that it was casual.

Of course, the most important thing is to be there.

Having said that, the mourners I saw at an early Nineties funeral who wore stonewashed double denim left me speechless - others were in black, it wasn’t a “go as you please” funeral. That was just so disrespectful.
    Any chazzer could have togged them out more suitably.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 10th Mar 18, 8:27 AM
    • 495 Posts
    • 3,017 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    Looks like you don't actually have to have one now.....from their website:-

Do I need a reward card to shop?

No, however why not pick up a form while you’re in store or visit our dedicated reward card site; www.matalancard.co.uk and check out the great benefits of being a Matalan card holder.

I'm sure I remember, yonks, ago having to pay £1 to get a membership card in order to be 'allowed' to shop??!!
    Originally posted by Mir!
    I haven't needed a membership card for Matalan in my adult life and I'm a few months off 37 now....

Been really pleased with them recently as I've splurged on Star Wars themed baby girl outfits for No.2
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Mar 18, 8:32 AM
    • 4,494 Posts
    • 40,133 Thanks
    Floss
    The quality of Matalan stuff has improved of late - they are good for inexpensive office wear & Falmers stuff, as well as summer holiday stuff & bathers. They also have some nice homeware stuff - I bought a set of earthenware crockery (6 each of mug, small & dinner plates, cereal & pasta bowls) when me & the DSs were setting up house on our own in 2000 which DS2 & DDiL still use today!
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 10th Mar 18, 8:51 AM
    • 3,836 Posts
    • 35,598 Thanks
    dolly84
    I hadn't been to Matalan for years until Christmas just gone when I bought DS some PJ's and slipper boots, the quality of them is poor really and I regret buying there, they still ask for the membership card in my experience, I think you can do much better elsewhere in that price bracket. Plus there are no rewards from being a member except a sales leaflet in the post.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • Miró
    • By Miró 10th Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    • 5,656 Posts
    • 24,388 Thanks
    Miró
    I haven't needed a membership card for Matalan in my adult life and I'm a few months off 37 now....
    Originally posted by Lucy5781

I now feel as old as Methuselah!!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Mar 18, 11:37 AM
    • 25,621 Posts
    • 54,340 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Are no longer mine. Mum tried them on last night and they look better on her, so they belong to her now
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    What goes around comes around. My sister clocked both this morning and now they're "hers". As well as my mum's other 2 chazzer finds.

Winner takes all around here
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 10th Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,539 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I had to go to the town centre today and I did stop in the £1 charity shop. I was in a bad mood so I thought I would look. I did set myself an aim of not buying clothes this year so I have broken that now! Oh well.

I got a very nice black jumper, a men's flannel shirt to sleep in and a sparkly light grey scarf. Very pleased with all of that and I know I will use all three items.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 10th Mar 18, 2:42 PM
    • 4,364 Posts
    • 9,923 Thanks
    Wizzbang

Personally, I'd go with the darker colour - never mind the style. I went to my neighbour's funeral recently and I don't own anything black (just not my colour or style). I wore a smart navy blue dress, tights and shoes and there's no way I could wear my fuchsia pink, smart wool coat over it! So, I opted for an admittedly old and more casual style navy blue parka style jacket with fur trim. It blended in perfectly with my outfit and so I did not feel out of place. (It was a Catholic church and almost everyone was in black, particularly as my neighbour was nearly 90 - I just felt it more respectful to stick to the rules of wearing darker colours and I was glad I did. At the end of the day, you could always take your coat off as soon as you get inside the building).
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £34,570.30
    (Not inc coupons, yellow stickies, bank interest or loyalty rewards because I have better things to do than catalogue everything!) Swagbucks £2,413.50
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 10th Mar 18, 2:49 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 4,205 Thanks
    carlislelass
    I went to one where dress code included "a touch of yellow"Covered everything from a tie to scarf, bag gloves etc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,282Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin