Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,516Posts
    • 40,381Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Page 26
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 6th Mar 18, 11:15 PM
    • 20,048 Posts
    • 53,782 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Funnyfreckles - what a lovely story.

And of course you may say your daughter looks gorgeous (and I'm sure she does ).
    Fingers crossed she gets chance to wear her dream dress.
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 6th Mar 18, 11:27 PM
    • 4,134 Posts
    • 11,249 Thanks
    Hermia
    I'm addicted to charity shops and this thread! I need to share today's excitement with someone and none of my friends get the charity shop thing! So, I'm afraid I have a bit of a long story to share ...

My daughter has been really poorly with ME for 15 months. She should be doing GCSEs this summer and since the New Year all the girls in her year have been posting photos of their (very expensive) prom dresses on What's App. It seems to be all they talk about but as she can't walk for more than a minute going to the prom is definitely not a possibility for her. However, I have a little hope that she might be able to go for half an hour at the beginning to have photos with her friends and have the excitement of seeing everyone arrive in their finery.

Sorry ...I told you this would be long! Just by chance, a couple of days ago, I stumbled across a Facebook post saying that a local charity shop had brand new prom dresses for sale for £9.99. You can park outside so I took my daughter today and I found 3 dresses in her size that I thought she might like. I was able to carry them to the car so she could see them and bought two for her to try on at home. She only tried one on as she fell in love with it straight away and it fits like a dream. She looks gorgeous (if I may say so!). So she can hang the dress in the wardrobe knowing that Cinders can go to the ball for a little while if she is able and if not she won't feel guilty for having an expensive dress she can't use. Although by rights she does have an expensive dress as I looked it up online and found the exact same dress for sale for over £200!!
    Originally posted by funnyfreckle
    Great buy. I have seen some nice prom dresses in charity shops. I guess people don't know what to do with them once they have worn them. Maybe after the prom she could sell it on ebay and get herself some money to buy something nice.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 7th Mar 18, 9:31 AM
    • 20,048 Posts
    • 53,782 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I look for Laura Ashley, Cath Kidston, Seasalt, Land's End and Phase Eight. Used to look for White Stuff but it's not sought after any more and the quality is not there. Boden I see a lot of, but it's not my style.
    Originally posted by Wizzbang
    Who says that White Stuff 'isn't sought after anymore'?
    Charity shopping isn't exactly London Fashion Week.

I don't know about their current quality as I don't buy (and never have bought) new but the quality of the White Stuff items I've picked up in charity shops has always been good.

You have to be careful with a lot of brands now because people don't know how to wash jersey fabric properly and so it ends up all bobbled and stretched because they put it in a normal 40 degree wash (hence why it's in the chazzer). See a lot of Phase Eight that's been treated badly and they still ask £15 + for it!). Or, I see formerly stunning, high end velvet or crushed velvet pieces that have had the iron put on them or got stained. (Again, the chaser's ask ridiculous amounts for them just because of the label. Though I've haggled over staining before on high end brands).
    Originally posted by Wizzbang
    FTR, I tend to class 'jersey' as the (usually) 95% viscose and 5% elastene that Per Una, Monsoon, White Stuff dresses are made from.
    I'm not sure if I've seen anything that says it's 'jersey'.

Personally, I think bobbling is less down to poor washing and more down to actual wear.
    On the dresses I mention above, bobbling tends to occur around the bust area and on the shoulders and the opposite side-back where cross-body bags can rub and bobble.

I have never seen Boden in a chazzer. Lucky you! I go for the same brands as a lot of you. I don't go for supermarket brands unless they are 50p. I can't bring myself to pay £4 for something that was £10 new. I also look out for petite ranges as they are soooo expensive to buy usually. I need petite suits for work and they are often around the £100-200 mark new.

I always examine clothes carefully. I always look at the washing label as washing labels always seem to fade and get limp with washing. If the text is still bright and the label is not floppy it often means the item was barely worn.
    Originally posted by Hermia
    I see quite a bit of Boden round here.
    I agree, the care label is a great indicator of how often the item has been washed. And the quality control small round paper sticker (which disappears when first washed) usually means it's not been washed or at least only once.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 7th Mar 18, 9:31 AM
    • 3,697 Posts
    • 59,359 Thanks
    silvasava
    Funny freckle - great find and I'm sure it's given your DD a huge boost - I'm sure she's beautiful with or without the dress!

Regarding labels - I'm more of a fabric feeler' - don't care who made it as long as it's nice quality fabric, well made and finished, my style and colour, fits, not dry clean and right price! TBH I've had some lovely things from Asda, Sainsbury's and FF that would give CC, East and Monsoon et al a run for their money.
    Last edited by silvasava; 07-03-2018 at 9:41 AM.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 7th Mar 18, 10:26 AM
    • 25,639 Posts
    • 54,366 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    funnyfreckle, what a lovely mum you are. I hope DD comes out of this well eventually, it must be heartbreaking seeing her so debilitated.

I tend not to look for labels, I'm more drawn to the intrinsic quality of the product. If I then discover a Per Una / Autograph / Wallis / Principles label it is a bonus. I've never quite "got" Boden, most of their stuff I find to be poor quality, shapeless and worn away.

ETA: agreed, Tu, F&F and George labels are always good quality and hard wearing.
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 07-03-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 7th Mar 18, 10:34 AM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 35,628 Thanks
    dolly84
    funnyfreckle - what a lovely story. I do hope your daughter gets better soon, ME is such a horrible thing to have.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 7th Mar 18, 10:35 AM
    • 25,639 Posts
    • 54,366 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I passed a chazzer today selling everything for £1 or less. My new Per Una jacket, knitted casual jacket, linen fully lined summer dress and 5 hardbacks cost me £4
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Are no longer mine. Mum tried them on last night and they look better on her, so they belong to her now

I can't actually remember what the fifth was
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    It is this:

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 7th Mar 18, 2:06 PM
    • 20,048 Posts
    • 53,782 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Be still my beating heart.

Just back from my route march around the village shops.

In the Hospice shop, they had a big basket of scarves and hats for £1.00.

Never one to miss out on a good rummage, I had a good routle round and came up with a long-ish scarf in shades of grey herringbone-ish pattern.

So soft.
    Could it really be ca.....?
    Surely not - for £1.00.

Found a label.
    It is.
    It's 100% cashmere, made in Nepal.
    It does say 'dry clean' but we ignore that, don't we, ladies.

For those of you who 'know' me from this thread - yes, it's in the freezer.

Regarding labels - I'm more of a fabric feeler' - don't care who made it as long as it's nice quality fabric, well made and finished, my style and colour, fits, not dry clean and right price! TBH I've had some lovely things from Asda, Sainsbury's and FF that would give CC, East and Monsoon et al a run for their money.
    Originally posted by silvasava
    Are you/were you a dressmaker?

That's what I do too.
    And I agree about the supermarket fabrics too.
    • funnyfreckle
    • By funnyfreckle 7th Mar 18, 2:42 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 1,115 Thanks
    funnyfreckle
    Thank you for all your lovely comments and good wishes. You've been lovely. It was so good to be able to share my bargain !!!55357;!!!56842; x
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 7th Mar 18, 3:16 PM
    • 4,255 Posts
    • 29,388 Thanks
    tessie bear
    ff just read the words bargain so looked back for your other post sorry to hear about your dd but what a heart warming thing to happen...hope your dd manages to go along

liking the sound of cashmere for a quid I too like a good rummage normally through the 3 for a quid bits but the scarf/hat box has been fun this winter

not had a chance to get anything myself so please keep the bargains flowing on here its cheering me up xxx
    on the brink...
    • Laredouter
    • By Laredouter 7th Mar 18, 3:27 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 234 Thanks
    Laredouter
    I bet she looks really lovely, Funny Freckle. I hope she has a nice time!
    • Laredouter
    • By Laredouter 7th Mar 18, 3:34 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 234 Thanks
    Laredouter
    Out Vile Jelly- I love your username by the way. I'm assuming it's a King Lear reference.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 7th Mar 18, 3:53 PM
    • 5,664 Posts
    • 24,419 Thanks
    Mirů

Found a label.

It's 100% cashmere, made in Nepal.
    It does say 'dry clean' but we ignore that, don't we, ladies.

For those of you who 'know' me from this thread - yes, it's in the freezer.

Originally posted by Pollycat

Don't want to be a Debbie Downer but does your scarf have a Brand/Makers name on it? If so would be worth Googling it as I found my 'Made In Nepal' 100% cashmere scarf turned out to be 30% cashmere and 70% polyester according to the many online reports. Still nice tho but I did feel a bit cheated. Really hope yours is a genuine 100% real one
    Last edited by Mirů; 07-03-2018 at 3:57 PM.
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 7th Mar 18, 4:35 PM
    • 11,861 Posts
    • 228,708 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I'm defiantely a fabric feeler as have a background in textiles and can mostly guess fabrics and blends by touch.

I always give Per Una, FatFace, Next, EWM, Wallis & Autograph a second look, and have bought some nice used items it Rohan, Icebreaker and Tilley Endurables (all premium outdoorsy brands). I also have a lovely Jacques Vert jacket, and a great Planet one which I've had for years.

Some brands can disappoint from time to time, or the examples have been laundered or otherwise treated badly and are in poor condtion. They have to pass the feel tezt, then I look at construction/ condition and the brand.

Have handed over three items from the hanging rail to the chazzer this aft; a cotton traders summer weight jacket (chazzer buy, didn't make the grade), a luxurious coat in a colour which is a bit too bright for me (lovely thing, hand-me-down which is now a hand-on) and a straight lined black skirt, which is a useful item for those who wear skirts, which I no longer choose to do.

Just nipping off to the clothing inventory on the pooter to deduct those items. And, she cackled wickedly, it means I now have room for some more..........

ETA, just took that skirt off the clothing inventory, I've had it since 2004 (was a chazzer buy) and I doubt I've worn it more than a handful of times, and not for years. Beyond time to release it.
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 07-03-2018 at 4:47 PM.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 7th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 3,020 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    I don't have any specifics brand wise for myself but for DsS, DS and soon to be DD, always Next. Mothercare and M&S for the younger two as well.

Have been really pleased finding age 13, 14 , 15 and 16 jeans from Next for the ever growing eleven year old DsS!!
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 7th Mar 18, 5:24 PM
    • 3,697 Posts
    • 59,359 Thanks
    silvasava
    Haha Pollycat - I've been sussed!! Like GQ I'm tall but Im somewhat older than her tall clothing was never available so forced to make most of it myself. It's stood me in good stead though as many a time I've had a bargain that's been overlooked purely because I've had a feel In the past I've recut a beautiful wool worsted skirt that cost me a pound and lasted me a good 15 years and still had plenty of life in it when I passed it on cos I was fed up with it! A very nice black suit - skirt remodelled and jacket altered and a silk dress that was the most fabulous colours but a awful dated style recut into an overshirt that's still in my wardrobe and much loved.
    Good fabrics well cared for last for years!
    Last edited by silvasava; 07-03-2018 at 5:29 PM.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 7th Mar 18, 5:31 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 3,647 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    In my local Julias house I bought a joe brown dress for £7.50 and a crystal cut sweet pea vase for £2.00.
    The £1000 emergency fund challenge #223
    Pay for birthdays and Christmas 2018 with surveys #17
    2018 Frugal Living Challenge #44
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2018~ 11 #40
    £2 saver club
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 7th Mar 18, 5:39 PM
    • 20,048 Posts
    • 53,782 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Don't want to be a Debbie Downer but does your scarf have a Brand/Makers name on it? If so would be worth Googling it as I found my 'Made In Nepal' 100% cashmere scarf turned out to be 30% cashmere and 70% polyester according to the many online reports. Still nice tho but I did feel a bit cheated. Really hope yours is a genuine 100% real one
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Arggh!
    I remember that now.
    I've just had a look and it doesn't have a brand on it.
    Don't know if that means it's more likely to be 100% cashmere or not.
    But it is very soft (although I do know that some countries are pretty clever at making polyester look like silk or cashmere) and goes perfectly with my Aigle trenchcoat/raincoat bargain that looks brown but is more grey.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 7th Mar 18, 6:03 PM
    • 5,664 Posts
    • 24,419 Thanks
    Mirů
    Arggh!
    I remember that now.
    I've just had a look and it doesn't have a brand on it.
    Don't know if that means it's more likely to be 100% cashmere or not.
    But it is very soft (although I do know that some countries are pretty clever at making polyester look like silk or cashmere) and goes perfectly with my Aigle trenchcoat/raincoat bargain that looks brown but is more grey.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    It was a bargain and you love it so that is all that matters really!!

(It is annoying tho how some countries take advantage of tourists with misleading labels....misleading...ha, bliddy lying!!)
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 7th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 4,650 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Well one thing led to another this morning and I never got round to shops before my hair appointment. Will go after work tomorrow afternoon. I have 2 part time jobs, one in our local village but the other is in the next town so can leave the car in work car park and save more money towards some bargains...lol.
    DMP March '15 £57,549. Now £44,430. almost 23% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... Building up slowly.
    Christmas '18 challenge... £22 /£300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

1,804Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin