Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,494Posts
    • 40,133Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Page 24
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 4th Mar 18, 11:45 AM
    • 20,013 Posts
    • 53,723 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Where is this wondrous place....might even be worth a day trip just to see it?!!
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Absolutely!
    I'm up for it.
    A MSE charity shop outing.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 4th Mar 18, 3:36 PM
    • 4,255 Posts
    • 29,384 Thanks
    tessie bear
    I will book the coach for our fact finding mission...I do want to detour to see the aga xx
    on the brink...
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 4th Mar 18, 4:35 PM
    • 5,656 Posts
    • 24,388 Thanks
    Mirů
    Planning my Margo Leadbetter outfit as we speak.....or should it be Hyacinth Bucket? Well, one would have to fit in wouldn't one?
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 4th Mar 18, 4:46 PM
    • 2,822 Posts
    • 8,336 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Went to a table top sale today, bought a James Patterson book for £1 and 3 DVDs for £1. Hubby now needs to go on one of his football outings so that I can have a quiet film afternoon.
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - to fill up the pot
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £2280/£6,000
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 4th Mar 18, 4:51 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 4,650 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Discovered this thread a while ago and been ploughing through. I do like a good charity shop bargain, as long as its something I really need, as trying to declutter....and save money. I take a lot of stuff to CS myself, but also like to browse and buy.
    I will keep up to date with all your posts and let you know of any bargains I find.
    DMP March '15 £57,549. Now £44,430. almost 23% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... Building up slowly.
    Christmas '18 challenge... £22 /£300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 4th Mar 18, 4:56 PM
    • 11,838 Posts
    • 228,413 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Planning my Margo Leadbetter outfit as we speak.....or should it be Hyacinth Bucket? Well, one would have to fit in wouldn't one?
    I spy, with my little eye, a lovely tailored floral frock with medium court shoes, co-ordinating with a lovely handbag (only leather, dahling). A light blazer over the top in case it gets chilly and a silk scarf to tie over one's 'do in case of high winds.

One might want to reconsider the hat as more approrpiate to a wedding party. If one doesn't have a wedding party of one's own to attend, one could always gate-crash one, circulate politely, wine and dine for free and forever be that person in the group photographs who will be a complete mystery to both sides of the newly-minted couple's family.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Hermia
    • By Hermia 4th Mar 18, 5:50 PM
    • 4,134 Posts
    • 11,249 Thanks
    Hermia
    I am hoping the last of the snow clears soon as I am suffering from charity shop withdrawal!

Do you think we have Mary Portas to blame for the whole 'fancy' charity shop thing. They need to re-find their niche, the whole idea was for them to be different to all the other shops but not try to be an antique shop either.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    I think the worst thing about Mary Portas is it led to charity shops being obsessed with wanting to look like normal shops. I found this meant they no longer sold some of the weird and wonderful bits they used to. I love crafts and used to buy bags of buttons/yarn/fabric oddments all the time. I also used to love old sewing patterns and old magazines. I definitely wasn't the only one as I seemed to be in competition with other people who snapped those items up too. After the Mary Portas doc I noticed the shops near me no longer sold these. A couple of staff told me they had been told not to sell items that made the shop look tatty or like a jumble sale. I now give all my craft stuff away on Freegle as I know the charity shops will probably bin it.

I have to say I have encountered a lot of smelly charity shops and have even had to wash the bags I brought my purchases home in! That strong musty smell is so distinctive. Luckily it always comes out in the wash.
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 4th Mar 18, 6:11 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 4,650 Thanks
    ploppy57
    I agree that some CS's are not like they used to be. We have a dog charity shop near us and it is full to the rafters and has all sorts of junk and surprises.... Love it. However some of the more well known shops even sell brand new bits these days and I very rarely frequent them as even their second hand bits are pricey.....you will know the ones I mean.
    Looking forward to the car boots starting again soon as well
    DMP March '15 £57,549. Now £44,430. almost 23% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 4th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 5,656 Posts
    • 24,388 Thanks
    Mirů
    I spy, with my little eye, a lovely tailored floral frock with medium court shoes, co-ordinating with a lovely handbag (only leather, dahling). A light blazer over the top in case it gets chilly and a silk scarf to tie over one's 'do in case of high winds.

One might want to reconsider the hat as more approrpiate to a wedding party. If one doesn't have a wedding party of one's own to attend, one could always gate-crash one, circulate politely, wine and dine for free and forever be that person in the group photographs who will be a complete mystery to both sides of the newly-minted couple's family.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Ok yah, that outfit would work, tho' as a more wintery alternative I will have on standby a luridly patterned polyester kaftan, diamonte encrusted, slingback, Hunter wellies with a kitten heel, well worn Barbour jacket, capacious but battered Mulberry bag and silk scarf festooned with horsey accoutrements. Then if there should be a nearby jimkarna....gimc...horsey do to crash I will be suitably attired. Really looking forward to this outing now....tally ho!
    • Bathory
    • By Bathory 4th Mar 18, 8:57 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 2,764 Thanks
    Bathory
    I recently had a job interview and found the gladrags for the occasion no longer fitted since losing 3 stone. Not wanting to replace with new things I decided on a CS tour. In Scope I got a £4 pair of m&s office trousers (unworn, the size card was still stitched to the belt area) and a £1 smart top (again m&s) from Willow Wood's clearance rail. New interview outfit for £5 and the old one donated.

I find our local BHF very pricey, they wanted £8 for a pair of scuffed primark boots.
    A wise old owl lived in an oak. The more he saw the less he spoke. The less he spoke the more he heard. Why can't we be like that wise old bird?
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 5th Mar 18, 12:07 AM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 4,280 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    More donates from me to local charity although shocked to see £12.99 on some items I have donated although they are coats and brand new shoes. So will donate the last lot elsewhere tbh.

I love thought of someone getting that charity find pleasure but that is probably quite hard to do at £12.99 IMO. Anyway not moaning was just shocked.

I am pretty much completely kondo'd in terms of clothes after buying the book spark joy and finding not a lot that really sparked "Joy" so will start to make a need's list and have set myself £500 ( which is probably an extortionate amount ) to replace.
    Sam x
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • Floss
    • By Floss 5th Mar 18, 7:15 AM
    • 4,494 Posts
    • 40,133 Thanks
    Floss
    TBH if I saw a pair of BN shoes in a brand, style & colour I wanted, I would pay £12.99. After all, if said shoes were in their original shop reduced to that, I would buy them there.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Mar 18, 8:57 AM
    • 25,621 Posts
    • 54,340 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I forgot to mention the stained glass windows inset into the partition walls and the books fixed with wrought-iron effect shelf brackets to the wall to make 'shelves'.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    On that basis alone, I'm in.

Absolutely!
    I'm up for it.
    A MSE charity shop outing.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Can you imagine the scenario if we all descended en-masse? It will be pistols at dawn!!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Mar 18, 9:27 AM
    • 20,013 Posts
    • 53,723 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Can you imagine the scenario if we all descended en-masse? It will be pistols at dawn!!
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Hmmm. Not sure about that.
    Do you think we'd find anything to fight over at the prices they're probably charging in shops like these?
    Local Chest Heart and Stroke Booteek has an Aga, plastic grass on the floor, belfast sink in the cash desk, and fake garden sheds for displaying shoes.

And brown tie-on luggage labels.
    I forgot to mention the stained glass windows inset into the partition walls and the books fixed with wrought-iron effect shelf brackets to the wall to make 'shelves'.
    The funniest thing I have seen used in a Booteek chazza display is a large canoe with a pointy end chopped off, tipped up on its now blunt end with the seats turned into shelves and used to display books.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 5th Mar 18, 10:36 AM
    • 3,685 Posts
    • 59,191 Thanks
    silvasava
    Hermia - my local hospice seems to have turned the MP shop designs to their advantage. They opened a craft shop a couple of years ago. Absolutely brilliant!! Patterns,fabric, wool, books, needles, thread, zips and from time to time sewing machines (and they have a large box of attachments sorted by manufacturer) card making, tapestry - you name it. Its an absolute magnet and probably a great money spinner for a worthy cause.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 5th Mar 18, 11:17 AM
    • 722 Posts
    • 4,650 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Hermia - my local hospice seems to have turned the MP shop designs to their advantage. They opened a craft shop a couple of years ago. Absolutely brilliant!! Patterns,fabric, wool, books, needles, thread, zips and from time to time sewing machines (and they have a large box of attachments sorted by manufacturer) card making, tapestry - you name it. Its an absolute magnet and probably a great money spinner for a worthy cause.
    Originally posted by silvasava
    What a great idea.
    • Laredouter
    • By Laredouter 5th Mar 18, 4:57 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    Laredouter
    Tried the charity shops in Basildon today as I am still at home. There were very slim pickings, as was expected. I got:

A navy blue (I'm starting to think this is my favourite colour ) cotton cardigan by Mantaray- £2.99 from PDSA

An off-white linen blouse with shell buttons by Poetry- £4.79 from BHF.

I miss the Guildford shops
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 5th Mar 18, 5:28 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 4,650 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Tried the charity shops in Basildon today as I am still at home. There were very slim pickings, as was expected. I got:

A navy blue (I'm starting to think this is my favourite colour ) cotton cardigan by Mantaray- £2.99 from PDSA

An off-white linen blouse with shell buttons by Poetry- £4.79 from BHF.

I miss the Guildford shops
    Originally posted by Laredouter
    Mantaray stuff is lovely
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 5th Mar 18, 6:15 PM
    • 5,656 Posts
    • 24,388 Thanks
    Mirů
    A visit with a couple of friends this afty to a nearby town that I don't very often go to. Came home with a BNWT's Alpaca mix scarf in denim blue for £1.50 and a Banana Republic crisp white shirt with a broken black stripe...lovely soft fabric and in great condition, (care label unwashed and appeared unworn) - £3. Be great with one of my many pairs of black trousers! So good to get out in the sunshine(!) after several days of feeling under house arrest due to the snow.
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 5th Mar 18, 6:17 PM
    • 2,822 Posts
    • 8,336 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Philippa Gregory 2016 book for £1
    Julia Roberts and Tom Hanks dvd for £1
    From two different charity shops. Both shops had loads of people in them.

Another charity shop wanted £7.50 for 6 bowls and a serving dish - quite retro. They had reduced it from £15.00 Thought that was still too dear but I had picked up 6 plates of the same design - in another town about 30 miles away. Would you buy them at that price???
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - to fill up the pot
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £2280/£6,000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

80Posts Today

2,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin