Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    • 4,902Posts
    • 45,689Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 12:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 9:26 AM.
Page 140
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 9th Jun 19, 4:30 PM
    • 4,770 Posts
    • 44,073 Thanks
    dolly84
    Miro - I know which clothing swap you are talking about now, I have come across them online (Leeds area somewhere), they have it once a month, DD and I considered going, do they charge to get in? I seem to remember it being £3 which is what put us off as it would be £6 and if we came home empty handed we would be a bit miffed.

Today I have been to the tip shop and to the CS DD volunteers at on Sundays. At the tip shop I got a BNIP reflective windscreen cover, I will be using it in winter when it is icy, paid £2 which I was happy with. On the whole this particular tip shop is totally overpriced, they have broken bits of rubbish and want several pounds for it, the staff are stroppy and lazy.

From the CS I got a BNIP pair of very lovely cotton pillowcases in a soft green and cream pattern, £1, a book for DD 30p, a M&S Collection (again) sheer cream blouse with tiny gold leaves on it, v neck with no buttons, stand up frilled collar, long sleeves with cuffs and smocking just above the cuffs £3, a navy and white slub skirt, work style, fully lined with a piped waistband with a little bow, £2.50, I don't know what brand it is as the labels had been cut out. Lastly a Gelert packaway raincoat, khaki colour with taped seams, will store in my rucksack for walking days, £2.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 9th Jun 19, 5:12 PM
    • 6,050 Posts
    • 26,441 Thanks
    Mirů
    Miro - I know which clothing swap you are talking about now, I have come across them online (Leeds area somewhere), they have it once a month, DD and I considered going, do they charge to get in? I seem to remember it being £3 which is what put us off as it would be £6 and if we came home empty handed we would be a bit miffed.

Originally posted by dolly84

No, the one you are thinking of is this one:-

https://leedscommunityclothesexchange.com

I have never been to it cos, like you, the £3 entry charge put me off. I didn't fancy donating a load of stuff, paying a fee and walking away empty handed....would rather just donate the stuff to a charity shop! It is very popular tho, there is always a long queue of people waiting for it to open.

The one I went to today is new, it was the first one today and there is no entry charge:-

https://www.heartcentre.org.uk/event/headingley-clothes-swap/

You got some nice things today
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 11th Jun 19, 12:29 PM
    • 10,615 Posts
    • 38,570 Thanks
    luxor4t
    Found a book from my "to read" list in the local CS. Very pleased as they ask 50p for paperbacks ☺
    Waterproof over trousers for toddler DGS 75p who loves being out in the nursery garden - the muddied the better.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 11th Jun 19, 3:29 PM
    • 6,050 Posts
    • 26,441 Thanks
    Mirů
    A cold wet and windy trip to Otley today...brrrr! A couple of nice finds in the 99p St Gemma's Hospice Shop cheered me up tho.

A raspberry pink M & S T-shirt in my favourite scoopy neck/sleeves to just above the elbow/body slightly longer than the norm stylee. Looks b/n too

Then I found a fun little dress that is reversible so 2 dresses in 1 - will be great for holiday packing. Sleeveless, scoop neck back and front and a fippy knee length hem in polyester georgette. One side is a floral orange and brown pattern and the other is beige and brown muted stripes. I think it is a Joe Brown dress cos it is just like this one but in a different colour way. (No labels with it being reversible.) 99p for a £45 dress

https://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_61068+WD753A_-1
    Last edited by Mirů; 12-06-2019 at 3:31 PM.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Jun 19, 8:48 AM
    • 23,637 Posts
    • 63,758 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Had a mooch round a few shops in Manchester over the last couple of days.
    Only thing I found was a Mantaray sleeveless cotton blouse with button front and broderie anglaise trim in blush pink.
    Still had the little plastic bag with spare buttons attached to the care label.
    £3.99 RSPCA shop.
    Goes perfectly with 2 pairs of flowered patterned trousers I have.
    And just long enough to cover my bum.

After my enforced 3 month absence from charity shops, I've decided that I can't be bothered with the shops that organise clothes by colour rather than by type (trousers, tops, dresses) and size.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Jun 19, 2:44 PM
    • 10,147 Posts
    • 35,440 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Which bit of Manchester, Pollycat? My work is so central, every square inch has solid dollar value (for all they'll leave a place empty while refurbishing it/refitting it to the desired effect) so my pop out at lunch cs finds are nil. The time at which I commute in doesn't lend itself to retail activity and getting out, well, the idea is I'm Going Home.

Not that that prevents my beloved family from making use of car & convenience & me as concierge service, so maybe I could chisel out a half-hour to myself, just where should I be looking?!

Very glad to think of you on your feet & discriminating vigorously!

Miro - still further congratulations (Otley in this coolth - there's determination) and how's Albert doing?!
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 12-06-2019 at 3:05 PM.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Jun 19, 3:37 PM
    • 23,637 Posts
    • 63,758 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Which bit of Manchester, Pollycat? My work is so central, every square inch has solid dollar value (for all they'll leave a place empty while refurbishing it/refitting it to the desired effect) so my pop out at lunch cs finds are nil. The time at which I commute in doesn't lend itself to retail activity and getting out, well, the idea is I'm Going Home.

Not that that prevents my beloved family from making use of car & convenience & me as concierge service, so maybe I could chisel out a half-hour to myself, just where should I be looking?!

Very glad to think of you on your feet & discriminating vigorously!
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Smack in the middle of the city.
    I looked on Yell.com for charity shops, there weren't many so I wouldn't make a special trip if I were you but I can tell you what there is if you like.

Was at the arena for Backstreet Boys DNA tour.
    Pretty challenging getting up to party - especially as my seat was somewhat vertiginous and I have a fear of falling.

So I was literally 'on my feet'.

I'd had it booked since last November and only decided I was fit to go (on my own) a couple of weeks ago.
    I matched my outfit to a new pair of trainers (I have to wear them until the end of August).

They are much brighter, more a coral/orangey colour and I had a top just the same colour.
    And some H&M ankle grazer black trousers with coral/orange poppies on.
    And a coral denim jacket.

I think you could say I stood out.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Jun 19, 4:14 PM
    • 10,147 Posts
    • 35,440 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    <heads off to Yell.com>

Atta gal rocking coral - I am very glad you could get to see the Backstreet Boys without a chaperone!
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 12th Jun 19, 4:52 PM
    • 4,770 Posts
    • 44,073 Thanks
    dolly84
    Had a mooch round a few shops in Manchester over the last couple of days.
    Only thing I found was a Mantaray sleeveless cotton blouse with button front and broderie anglaise trim in blush pink.
    Still had the little plastic bag with spare buttons attached to the care label.
    £3.99 RSPCA shop.
    Goes perfectly with 2 pairs of flowered patterned trousers I have.
    And just long enough to cover my bum.

After my enforced 3 month absence from charity shops, I've decided that I can't be bothered with the shops that organise clothes by colour rather than by type (trousers, tops, dresses) and size.
    Originally posted by Pollycat

I hate it when things are organised by colour too, you just can't see anything, they all blend in together.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 13th Jun 19, 9:56 AM
    • 6,050 Posts
    • 26,441 Thanks
    Mirů

Miro - still further congratulations (Otley in this coolth - there's determination) and how's Albert doing?!

Albert thanks you for your interest, (or would do if he had opposable thumbs and could use a keyboard!). He is half resigned to his new bed now and has adopted the 'melting cat' attitude to using it. (Bit like Picasso's 'Soft Watches' paintings) He keeps his bum and back legs in the bed with his head and front paws upside down* and oozing out on the rug....at the same time giving me a baleful stare which seems to say, 'you stole my old comfy bed....why????'

*I swear someone filleted this creature as a kitten as he appears to be boneless much of the time!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Jun 19, 11:21 AM
    • 10,147 Posts
    • 35,440 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Trying to prep for some training I'm delivering in Euston (well out of my geographic comfort zone) I find the apartment website has advice on which charity shops to check!
    West London is the perfect place for finding sustainable shops and stay fashionable. Oxfam Boutique in Westbourne Grove offers vintage designs, as well as designer and fair trade products. In Chiswick, you will find the Octavia Foundation, which has a reputation for high-quality donated goods. Their customers travel from far and wide to rummage through their rails and uncover hidden gems. Another shop not to miss is the British Red Cross branch in Chelsea, which is the cornerstone of “designer label charity” fashion.
    Blimey. I share this as I'm not likely to have time to verify any of it, but if we can't share info on good hunting areas, we've missed a catch.

As for cats being able to operate bonelessly, my parents are slaves to Mungo who lays himself between the ridges of the radiator & just drapes over. There *is* a skeleton - he's butted me to fetch food, just he seems to be able to deflate it as needed. Baffling! The baleful glare is a spectacular Cat Thing. Even irate teachers lack the 'you simply Cannot Get the Staff' vibe. Clearly Albert is enjoying the warm support for some joints & prefers a different level of support for another - and dislikes being predicted!
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 13th Jun 19, 6:47 PM
    • 4,362 Posts
    • 30,019 Thanks
    tessie bear
    i got a lovely windsmoor jacket today navy blue very nice cut £1 cant be bad
    onwards and upwards
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 14th Jun 19, 9:16 AM
    • 4,493 Posts
    • 15,618 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    Trying to prep for some training I'm delivering in Euston (well out of my geographic comfort zone) I find the apartment website has advice on which charity shops to check!

DfV, I fear you'll find those central London charity shops quite expensive. I work in a posh part of town, and don't bother with the ones nearby; £5 for a hb book, £15 for an M&S top etc. The bargains are to be had further out in the dull suburbs of zones 4-6 where tourists have no reason to go.

I have to report that my partner bought 3 DVDs of questionable cinematic quality for a quid recently in a seaside town chazzer. He says for 33p even a film entitled Kill The Hoff (yes, starring David Hasselhoff) can't be that bad?
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 14th Jun 19, 12:18 PM
    • 10,147 Posts
    • 35,440 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    A colleague has asked if charity shops are any good for CDs - from what I've see it varies, but there appears to be almost no filtering for the exotic CDs unless the labels make it clear.
    And the pricing is usually not more than a pound each.

Remarkable how many are chipping in "mum loves charity shops" or "the missus" - am I hearing the Y chromosome realising there may be something in these places that might interest them?! All the more since our annual pay rise will not be seen in the pay packet til September...
    • bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 14th Jun 19, 2:58 PM
    • 1,894 Posts
    • 2,683 Thanks
    bobsa1
    Bargains have been a little thin on the ground this week but I did get 2 Laura Ashley cushions today with feather innards. £1.49 each whilst the Laura Ashley shows there original price to be £55 each! They are a little grubby but Iím hoping a few squirts of elbow grease and a run through the washer will sort them out
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 14th Jun 19, 5:21 PM
    • 10,090 Posts
    • 12,666 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    *I swear someone filleted this creature as a kitten as he appears to be boneless much of the time!
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Have you tried grasping front and rear legs in different hands and stretching him like an accordion?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • onashoestring
    • By onashoestring 14th Jun 19, 7:06 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    onashoestring
    Question ?
    Do charity shops finds on eBay meet the criteria for this forum ?
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Jun 19, 7:14 PM
    • 23,637 Posts
    • 63,758 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Do charity shops finds on eBay meet the criteria for this forum ?
    Originally posted by onashoestring
    Not sure what charity shop finds on eBay are... but you are welcome to share.
    😀
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Jun 19, 7:23 PM
    • 23,637 Posts
    • 63,758 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Regarding cats with no skeleton, I found my much-loved, much-missed old boy could go from floppy boy to stiff-as-a-board monster in the blink of an eye.
    Well, that's cats for you (in my 40+ plus years of slavery).
    • onashoestring
    • By onashoestring 14th Jun 19, 7:44 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    onashoestring
    sewing machine from the British Heart Foundation Charity Shop on eBay
    Not sure what charity shop finds on eBay are... but you are welcome to share.
    😀
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    This week I bought a ďVintage ď sewing machine from the British Heart Foundation Charity Shop on eBay for <£15 .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,524Posts Today

8,663Users online

Martin's Twitter