Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    • 4,902Posts
    • 45,673Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 12:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 9:26 AM.
Page 132
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 16th May 19, 8:31 AM
    • 9,329 Posts
    • 31,167 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Some of the larger sizes depend on geography - a cs drawing on a trendy city hinterland will probably not get the bigger sizes plus various cs shops have internal agreements that over a certain size goes to a sub-branch elsewhere. If you think that's happening, do ask!

In fairness we gave a large bag of toys to a local cs to recognise one of them at its sister shop in another town - I don't think it was courtesy, I think they were working the regional demographics.
    • osbornbiscuit
    • By osbornbiscuit 16th May 19, 3:25 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 840 Thanks
    osbornbiscuit
    Re Larger sizes
    Try Cancer Research shops as they have a tie in with Slimming World and often get the larger sizes.

At our shop stock comes in, is checked and put out. It will stay on our shelves for a minimum of 4 weeks and then is sent to another shop. or it could be put to one side and tried at a later date ie it is more suitable for autumn now that spring has gone.

I envy those who keep finding Denby its never in our area.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th May 19, 3:34 PM
    • 13,270 Posts
    • 182,355 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Yesterday a ty babies tiny parrot toy with huge eyes, an 'Upsy Daisy' doll from In the Night Garden at 20p each and a lovely knitted cowl neck poncho for DD1 and the soon to be Granddaughter for those October 'windy days' when you don't need a coat but you do need something warm. Baby in a sling will fit underneath and stay snug for £2.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 16th May 19, 4:36 PM
    • 2,821 Posts
    • 20,497 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Do any people have luck in larger sizes? Although I get a few bits most things are for the thinner lady.
    Originally posted by Lavendar
    I'm always annoyed at how many nice clothes are in charity shops in sizes 8 or 10 so I can't fit into them!
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • yorkie cook
    • By yorkie cook 16th May 19, 5:52 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    yorkie cook
    Do any people have luck in larger sizes? Although I get a few bits most things are for the thinner lady.

As a larger lady I have the same issue, the new sue ryder shop near me which opened a few months ago seems to be getting a few larger sizes.
    A friend who volunteers in a British Heart shop told me that they rag anything in above a 22 whether this is true/ or his managers policy I dont know. I know I have never seen much plus sized when I have looked in british heart shops, having looked in their shops in lots of areas.

I tend to find hospice or small local charity shhops tend to be richer picking as they seem to try to sell as much of the donations as possible
    • Lavendar
    • By Lavendar 16th May 19, 6:19 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    Lavendar
    Thanks I am an 18 20 or 22 according to the make so will carry on searching do like the better names if possible though the names shouldn't matter only if it fits looks good and you like it.
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 16th May 19, 11:00 PM
    • 10,463 Posts
    • 37,979 Thanks
    luxor4t
    Three years ago I found two Boden summer dresses in my size

Since then, I've not seen anything I'd wear, the rail will have a just a few dowdy garments in man made fibres most of the time.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 17th May 19, 12:37 PM
    • 9,329 Posts
    • 31,167 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I envy those who keep finding Denby its never in our area.
    Originally posted by osbornbiscuit
    To be wholly fair, *whenever* we pass a cs, we pop in. My colleagues know that I'll take an early lunch break to look at a couple of places identified using google maps, & everywhere we go - weddings, shopping, funerals - we look out to see if there are places we might visit. (I've had some odd looks at my sartorial choices but you only live once.)

My esteemed husband goes "on a bimble" & loops around about 4 towns, dropping in on every cs we know of & any that have opened since last he was in the area. I'm the jumble sale maniac - handbrake turns into amateur-ly signed corners leaving shocked menfolk wondering (& then rolling eyes as the bunting flutters & the penny drops) coming to 'retrieve' me.

Then there are car boots - and my chaps are beginning to develop strategies to avoid being taken as pack animals - one moved out, "A level revision", "homework" etc. Which is a pity as they miss out on the stallholders asking "& where are the lads?" but perhaps just as well as they also miss out on happy reminiscences of when they were much smaller.

My husband is appalled at what I can miss, as my Denbyholism does rather blinker me. In exchange he can't haggle. Just stands there & while he tries to figure if he can afford that and bus fare, the seller often drops the price to see something "go to a good home". I'm careful not to ask, but I gather "the wife likes a bit of Denby" combined with a hangdog expression, works rather well for him. If I appear (short plump & cheerful), I ruin the illusion he may have allowed people to imagine of him being henpecked etc. He is also fearsome good at details - exactly how smoothly a zip works, the wear pattern (if any) on a sole, do internal labels suggest this garment has ever been washed etc.

How did that M&S cashmere sweater with the trickily located hole go, in the end?
    • osbornbiscuit
    • By osbornbiscuit 17th May 19, 2:00 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 840 Thanks
    osbornbiscuit
    re cashmere sweater
    One of our volunteers took it home and did invisible mends on it drawing threads from the overlocked seams. You couldn't see where she had been. It was amazing and the jumper sold for a good price!
    • bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 17th May 19, 2:29 PM
    • 1,865 Posts
    • 2,467 Thanks
    bobsa1
    Thanks I am an 18 20 or 22 according to the make so will carry on searching do like the better names if possible though the names shouldn't matter only if it fits looks good and you like it.
    You sound like a similar sized lady to me. I do find quite a lot of things to fit but they certainly aren’t as plentiful or modern as the smaller sizes.

I did however find an unexpectedly bargainous find today in fact at the hospice shop. I watched a Facebook thing by Trinmy where she wore some very nice Zara trousers and a lovely white shirt. On a whim I decided I needed to emulate this style despite not being Trinnys size! I ordered the trousers from Zara and today found a brand new white fitted shirt in the CS. It was by a company called Madeleine that I had never heard off so I presumed a fairly low end company but nice quality and only £4.50. On checking the internet the company is actually very high end with the blouse currently for sale at £129.99 I also paid £4 for a very nice cath kidston scarf.

Whilst in the shop the volunteer was showing me a scarf with the original tag of £89.99 and we mused who would pay that for a scarf even if you had the money, perhaps the same person paying £129.99 for a white shirt
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 17th May 19, 6:47 PM
    • 9,329 Posts
    • 31,167 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    He walked in with a Denby troubadour dinner plate & two cereal bowls, plus the casserole dish bit (no lid) of a brown Bourne round casserole. Basestamp puts it 1915-1930...

Plus a Jackanory book of Littlenose stories so I’ve been reading & hearing John Grant from when I was a very little girl!
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 17-05-2019 at 7:27 PM.
    • fozziebeartoo
    • By fozziebeartoo 18th May 19, 9:18 AM
    • 1,563 Posts
    • 12,672 Thanks
    fozziebeartoo
    As a larger lady I have the same issue, the new sue ryder shop near me which opened a few months ago seems to be getting a few larger sizes.
    A friend who volunteers in a British Heart shop told me that they rag anything in above a 22 whether this is true/ or his managers policy I dont know. I know I have never seen much plus sized when I have looked in british heart shops, having looked in their shops in lots of areas.

I tend to find hospice or small local charity shhops tend to be richer picking as they seem to try to sell as much of the donations as possible
    Originally posted by yorkie cook
    Good grief, I hope it's not true!

I donate my large sizes in the hope it will help out another equally generously sized lady.

Not for them to go to the ragman, based on their size!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 18th May 19, 9:25 AM
    • 9,329 Posts
    • 31,167 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I know several shops rag uniforms to prevent misunderstandings - which when I see the efforts reenactors go to to replicate 50s & earlier garments is heartbreaking, but how can a cs know what the buyer intends?

To rag on size alone is just poor business, surely? It isn't much more storage for a market that will happily spend on the right garment.
    • C J
    • By C J 18th May 19, 1:00 PM
    • 1,195 Posts
    • 7,248 Thanks
    C J
    I’m just back from Nettlebed, and mulling over my purchases (and the ones I missed) so I will share them with you while I have a much needed cup of tea!

My missed ‘bargain’ (I now think it was a bargain and I should have been quicker off the mark to bag it) was a strange looking heavy duty metal hand cranked circular stitching machine thing. I do a lot of craft type stuff but had never seen anything quite like it. It seemed almost industrial in its size and weight, and was in excellent condition, the handle and needles turning smoothly and easily. Nobody knew what it was. The man was asking £20 for it and wouldn’t engage with any haggling as he reckoned it might be worth quite a bit. I hummed and hahed, thought with its main needle being curved that it might be for stitching leather and that it might interest Mister CJ .... I left it for five minutes and when I returned to look at it again, it had gone. I’ve googled it, and it is something called a Linker machine for joining knitting together, so it wouldn’t have been of much use to me, except they sell second hand for around £200!

So I did buy:

A set of three Marguerite Patten wartime recipe books, and a Nigel Slater cook book for a total of £2 the lot. The Marguerite Patten ones are particularly great, lots of social history in them too.

A set of four fabulous matching very large wooden picture frames in perfect condition for 50p each. Very pleased with these.

A large crate of Duplo including two big base plates and some fabulous Duplo figures, £3. This is for small grandson (you can never have too much Duplo)

A new, sealed pack of four Lancôme Juicy Tubes lip glosses, and a new sealed pack of Orthaheel shoe inserts in my size - £1 each. The shoe inserts are fab, I already have some and they make an otherwise uncomfortable pair of shoes feel like ones in which I am walking on air. They’re usually around £25 a pair.

A couple of little kitchen utensils - one of those wire scoop/drainer/skimmer things to use with a wok, and a pair of kitchen scissors with multiple blades (for chopping herbs) both of which have been on my search list for ages - £1 each

A large rug - about 8ft sq I think - brown, with a modern red and white pattern which will suit the intended room perfectly - £5 and it’s in great condition (although I will shampoo it)

And then I impulse-bought a telescope. I know nothing about them, haven’t got around to researching them, but sometimes I’ve watched Professor Brian Cox or Dara O’Briain on telly and wistfully thought I would like to gaze at the night sky and wished I had a telescope. I don’t yet know if this one works (Mister CJ is currently setting it up for me in my garden craft studio) but I have checked the make and model and it retails for £249 so I I definitely think it was worth the £10 I paid for it.
    Last edited by C J; 18-05-2019 at 2:09 PM. Reason: Edited to add : I’ve just discovered the Duplo people in the set I bought are apparently rare & selling for about £10 each!
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • oldhaggis
    • By oldhaggis 18th May 19, 3:02 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    oldhaggis
    I know several shops rag uniforms to prevent misunderstandings - which when I see the efforts reenactors go to to replicate 50s & earlier garments is heartbreaking, but how can a cs know what the buyer intends?

To rag on size alone is just poor business, surely? It isn't much more storage for a market that will happily spend on the right garment.
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    I volunteer at a small local Hospice charity and it is our policy to rag modern workwear/uniforms if they have a company logo on them. However, we would never rag any vintage uniforms. We collect vintage clothing and put on special vintage events a couple of times a year.

Nothing gets past our team of skilled volunteers, they know their labels both vintage and modern. Like osbornbiscuit's colleague we also do invisible repairs on anything that is high quality such as designer/vintage/cashmere clothing. We also launder expensive items which have been donated because they are soiled or stained. Some posh dry clean only dresses come up a treat when washed inside out in a laundry bag on a delicates wash. The same goes for wedding dresses. It's worth a try to save them because otherwise they would be sold to the rag man.

We display and sell all sizes and have plenty of regular donors and purchasers of plus sizes.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 18th May 19, 5:37 PM
    • 4,491 Posts
    • 41,667 Thanks
    dolly84
    We've been out and about today and I made an effort to look at the larger sizes and saw a lot of really nice things that I would happily wear in my size.

We have brought home two bags full of stuff today:

Mens Hollister Slim Epic Flex Jeans which look new £5.50
    Mens White Stuff ticking stripe shirt 99p
    Mens White Stuff gingham check shirt in beige-y tones 99p
    Mens Rohan All Time Jacket in stone colour £5.99 (retail on this was nearly £100).

Tu Mustard colour Edge to Edge cardigan £3
    Pistachio summer maxi dress, lovely wrap over top with stripes and a full skirt with floral pattern £4.50
    Joules Kingston shirt in blue and white stripe £2
    Warehouse chiffon shirt with black sleeves and back and floral front, collarless, v neck style £1
    Papaya stone chinos £2
    Zara black straight trousers with raised stitched seam detail £1
    W linen sleeveless top in orange, black and white pattern £1

Happy days.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 18th May 19, 6:30 PM
    • 1,865 Posts
    • 2,467 Thanks
    bobsa1
    An afternoon out in Pickering for us today and I got a few small bits a pair of smart ankle grazer m and s trousers very lightly worn £2 a looks like new lands end t shirt £3 and an Emma bridgewater mug £15.95 not a massive bargain but it has robins on and would be £19.95 new.

My biggest none cs bargain today though were some free seat cushions for my sofa from freegle. The sofa cushions are a bit flat and someone was giving away the exact same Laura Ashley seat cushions so very pleased
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 18th May 19, 6:40 PM
    • 9,329 Posts
    • 31,167 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Himself pounced on an icing kit - which was almost certainly in a cs as the original owner failed to assemble it correctly. Husband puttered with it, and seconds later, had it cooperating sweetly. British made, metal, and 50 pence...
    How soon before there are cakes on the shopping list, to be iced?! (Can't ask sponge-baker supreme, he has A levels.)
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 18th May 19, 7:08 PM
    • 27,369 Posts
    • 116,399 Thanks
    candygirl
    There's always a few plus sizes in our chazzers, but i'm getting some ace stuff on ebay n shpock for my hols
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • janb5
    • By janb5 18th May 19, 9:19 PM
    • 1,917 Posts
    • 6,928 Thanks
    janb5
    Today I went to market/CS and I bought

An orange blanket ? ambulance issue £1
    A glass pedestal cake stand £2 ( motif underneath which I cant decipher)
    Two baby toys for my new GDD (now washed) £1
    A hair clip( type with claws) 50p
    4 cut glass wine glasses £10
    Alfie book - 50p
    A very pretty floral scarf-= not named £1.50
    Orange/cream Tupperware square storage box £ 2.50

My radio which I bought in a CS ages ago isnt working well anymore. Does anyone know if these are easy to repair ( TCHIBO) ?
    Last edited by janb5; 18-05-2019 at 9:34 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,700Posts Today

5,827Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin