Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    • 4,902Posts
    • 45,673Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 12:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 9:26 AM.
Page 125
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 15th Apr 19, 6:49 AM
    • 4,436 Posts
    • 41,167 Thanks
    dolly84
    miro - what an intriguing find.

I smashed all 3 of my 30 year old pyrex dishes yesterday (by accident), wow that stuff shatters. I now just have 3 lids so I will be on the hunt for some 'new' dishes.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Apr 19, 7:37 AM
    • 22,137 Posts
    • 59,752 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Miro - that's fab.
    What a wonderful pair of earrings it might have been.

A few thoughts:
    the hallmark is on the bale so it means that bit is 9 carat gold but if the antique expert is right about it possibly being added later, the rest may not be gold or - excitingly - it might be more than 9 carat gold.
    DFV may be right and it did come Birmingham's jewellery quarter. And if it did, I wouldn't be surprised it it was at least 18 carat or even 22 carat.
    Is it a very yellow gold?

I know a bit about silver stamps, I guess gold is similar.
    On silver there's a lion passant to signify it's silver, a town mark (you have the anchor for Birmingham) and a date letter which indicates the year of manufacture.
    And the maker's mark which is - probably PFB or PEB.

You should be able to find a website that shows all this information.
    I have one about silver but it doesn't show a maker PEB or PFB but I'm not surprised at that because in the past they were probably discrete skills and professions - and maybe still are.

It might be worth taking it to an Indian/Asian jewellers if you have one nearby and asking what they make of it.

Do let us know what you find out about it.
    • C J
    • By C J 15th Apr 19, 8:09 AM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 7,161 Thanks
    C J
    miro -

I smashed all 3 of my 30 year old pyrex dishes yesterday (by accident), wow that stuff shatters. I now just have 3 lids so I will be on the hunt for some 'new' dishes.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    Oh what a shame Dolly. I love my ancient Pyrex (mine’s Chelsea) and my daughters have started collecting it too now as apparently it’s all the rage amongst youngsters.

I don’t know what part of the country you are in, but they always have it in the Nettlebed sales (every three weeks, between Henley and Wallingford) at prices between 50p and £2. I saw a woman buy a huge cardboard box full recently, a whole dinner set and more, for a fiver!
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 15th Apr 19, 11:19 AM
    • 5,900 Posts
    • 25,606 Thanks
    Mirů
    Thank you everyone for your interest in my recent find

DigForVictory: Loved your story!

Wow, that's gorgeous Miro. Did you get a valuation?
    Originally posted by Bogof_Babe
    The jeweller said he could only give a valuation in terms of the scrap value of the gold and diamonds and mentioned a figure of around £130....not that I would dream of scrapping it!!

Miro - that's fab.
    What a wonderful pair of earrings it might have been.

A few thoughts:
    the hallmark is on the bale so it means that bit is 9 carat gold but if the antique expert is right about it possibly being added later, the rest may not be gold or - excitingly - it might be more than 9 carat gold.
    DFV may be right and it did come Birmingham's jewellery quarter. And if it did, I wouldn't be surprised it it was at least 18 carat or even 22 carat.
    Is it a very yellow gold?

I know a bit about silver stamps, I guess gold is similar.
    On silver there's a lion passant to signify it's silver, a town mark (you have the anchor for Birmingham) and a date letter which indicates the year of manufacture.
    And the maker's mark which is - probably PFB or PEB.

You should be able to find a website that shows all this information.
    I have one about silver but it doesn't show a maker PEB or PFB but I'm not surprised at that because in the past they were probably discrete skills and professions - and maybe still are.

It might be worth taking it to an Indian/Asian jewellers if you have one nearby and asking what they make of it.

Do let us know what you find out about it.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I think you may well be right about only the new bit being 9ct gold and the rest possibly being purer, (and softer!). It does have that orangey/yellowy cast that Asian jewellery seems to have and that would also explain the damage to the 'leaves' which are very delicate and fragile. (Bent out of shape and small bits broken off) I can't imagine anyone would set real diamonds in anything like a base metal? There are two more stamps visible, one either side of the 375 and anchor stamps but they are very worn and unreadable sadly. I did pop into a local Asian jewellers with the item, (just getting into the shop through the security procedures was ), but there was a major language/communication problem so I didn't get very far with that. I shall continue with enquiries and research as I am very intrigued and love a mystery!! Wish the Antwacky Roadshow was about to pay a visit nearby!!

P.S. Just realised that there is a tiny ring attached underneath the 'leaves', (clearly visible in the 'leaf' photo - why have I not noticed it before?) So something must have been attached to dangle from there. Obviously this thingy has been remodelled a fair few times
    Last edited by Mirů; 15-04-2019 at 11:28 AM.
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 15th Apr 19, 12:59 PM
    • 9,102 Posts
    • 30,367 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    No pressure Miro, but, Antiques Roadshow open free & filming:
    Morden Hall Park Sunday 2nd June
    Lytham Hall Tuesday 11th June
    V&A Dundee Sunday 23 June
    Compton Verney Tuesday 2nd July
    Battle Abbey Tuesday 9th July
    The National Botanic Garden of Wales Friday 19th July
    Castle Ward Thursday 25 July

Looks like your amazing story spindle had a fascinating life!

I do love the idea that Pyrex is coming back in & the young are hunting it. It's almost as sweetly bemusing as hearing someone bought a mess-tin & KFS set (of the sort you take camping) for over £40 as it was dated as if it could have been used in Vietnam, & right now that's 'trendy'...
    • sweetpea26
    • By sweetpea26 15th Apr 19, 3:42 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 5,477 Thanks
    sweetpea26
    Have been decluttering and avoiding charity shops a bit recently.

Popped into a local one last friday and picked up 2 avon products for a £1...shower gel and shampoo with conditioner. Have used the shampoo today and it smells lovely.

I pick up lots of products like this and it saves so much money.
    Grocery Challenge Jan..£415.23/£390 Feb.. £337.26/ £399

2019 Clutter Free Challenge 89 / 250 bags donated /recycled / Disposed of ...and any other tat I no longer need
    7 large pieces of furniture are now gone !
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 15th Apr 19, 7:11 PM
    • 9,102 Posts
    • 30,367 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    The downside of being a Denbyholic is when himself finally slips the leash & hunts & comes back, to find the Regency Green 2 pint jug has cracked in transit. A tiny internal barely an inch crack, but the poor soul is muttering dark words & I'm grieving for them both.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 16th Apr 19, 7:26 AM
    • 4,436 Posts
    • 41,167 Thanks
    dolly84
    CJ - I'm in Yorkshire so Nettlebed is not nearby. I will track replacements down on my travels I'm sure.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 16th Apr 19, 4:47 PM
    • 5,900 Posts
    • 25,606 Thanks
    Mirů
    Back to the normal charity shopping today! First in the hospice chazza I found just the sort of necklace I have been looking for....a long silvery/gunmetal fancy chain pendant thingy with a large burgundy glass bead. Pricy at £1.99 but perfect to go with the sheath* dress I got from the 90% off M & S sale last year.. Then in the 99p shop in Otley a silky blouse by Avivi in bottle green with oriental stylee pink and red chrysanthemums and swan-like birds. Shawl collar and a crossover front with ties at the waist. Might have to get out the old sewing machine again tho as the long sleeves are just a touch on the snug side. Thinking of shortening them to just above the elbow and putting in a small V of the fabric on the inside seam. Dunno if it will work but worth a try....

*Do people still use this word to describe a straight up and down dress?
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 16th Apr 19, 4:57 PM
    • 4,436 Posts
    • 41,167 Thanks
    dolly84
    Back to the normal charity shopping today! First in the hospice chazza I found just the sort of necklace I have been looking for....a long silvery/gunmetal fancy chain pendant thingy with a large burgundy glass bead. Pricy at £1.99 but perfect to go with the sheath* dress I got from the 90% off M & S sale last year.. Then in the 99p shop in Otley a silky blouse by Avivi in bottle green with oriental stylee pink and red chrysanthemums and swan-like birds. Shawl collar and a crossover front with ties at the waist. Might have to get out the old sewing machine again tho as the long sleeves are just a touch on the snug side. Thinking of shortening them to just above the elbow and putting in a small V of the fabric on the inside seam. Dunno if it will work but worth a try....

*Do people still use this word to describe a straight up and down dress?
    Originally posted by Mir!

I think it might be tube dress or something but I knew what you meant.

DH has picked up a couple of nice things today. A short sleeved Levi's checked shirt in shades of blue for £2.50 and an unworn Rohan jumper, it is fleece but styled like a smarter jumper, it's still on the website https://www.rohan.co.uk/Mens-Mid-Season-Sale-Shoreline-Jumper?ocode=05168J96&cr=MensMidSeasonSale .

We paid £5.50 for it.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Apr 19, 5:22 PM
    • 22,137 Posts
    • 59,752 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I think it might be tube dress or something but I knew what you meant.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    Me too.
    Shift dress? From the description below a sheath dress is more fitted than a shift dress.

[QUOTE]In fashion, a sheath dress is a fitted, straight cut dress, often nipped at the waistline with no waist seam. When constructing the dress, the bodice and skirt are joined together by combining the skirt darts into one dart; this aligns the skirt darts with the bodice waist dart/QUOTE]

^^^^ From Wikipedia
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Apr 19, 5:30 PM
    • 22,137 Posts
    • 59,752 Thanks
    Pollycat
    A shift dress is a dress in which the cloth falls straight from the shoulders and has darts around the bust. It frequently feature a high scoop or boat neck.[3]. Shift dresses are often confused with the sheath dress, which is form-fitting and shaped by tucks on the waist area. Shift dresses became popular in western fashion in the 1920s and were revived in the 1960s. They are most flattering on body types that are more like columns
    Also from Wikipedia.
    (can you tell I'm bored? )
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 16th Apr 19, 9:48 PM
    • 9,102 Posts
    • 30,367 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Whereas a sheath dress in this house (of largely chaps) is one of those elasticated tubes worn by either the very body con or the supremely indifferent...

Can look sensational on a confident curvaceous lass but ye gods it is not a forgiving garment.

(Can you tell I'm spaced out on ebay packaging?!)
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th Apr 19, 7:16 AM
    • 22,137 Posts
    • 59,752 Thanks
    Pollycat
    So - come on then Miro...
    Have you bought a shift dress, a sheath dress or a tube dress?

dolly84 - sorry to hear about the pyrex but hopefully you can replace it from charity shop finds. I see quite of bit of the clear pyrex on my travels but not so much of the Chelsea.

Fingers crossed.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 17th Apr 19, 9:34 AM
    • 5,900 Posts
    • 25,606 Thanks
    Mirů
    So - come on then Miro...
    Have you bought a shift dress, a sheath dress or a tube dress?

dolly84 - sorry to hear about the pyrex but hopefully you can replace it from charity shop finds. I see quite of bit of the clear pyrex on my travels but not so much of the Chelsea.

Fingers crossed.
    Pollycat wins first prize.....it is a shift dress! Front is cut in one piece with darts for the bazooms, back in two to accommodate a zip, and not fitted at the waist. Nice to see Wiki says I'm not the only one to confuse shift and sheath Now wondering if I am a 'column' type? Deffo tall so that's a start.....

Do people collect the Snowflake pattern pyrex - I see lots of that on my travels. Still got my mother's 40 yr old clear pyrexware.

How are the teeny tiny toes doing Pollycat...are you more mobile now? Can you do this yet --------
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 17th Apr 19, 9:46 AM
    • 5,900 Posts
    • 25,606 Thanks
    Mirů
    Then in the 99p shop in Otley a silky blouse by Avivi in bottle green with oriental stylee pink and red chrysanthemums and swan-like birds. Shawl collar and a crossover front with ties at the waist. Might have to get out the old sewing machine again tho as the long sleeves are just a touch on the snug side. Thinking of shortening them to just above the elbow and putting in a small V of the fabric on the inside seam. Dunno if it will work but worth a try....

Did the alterations last night all the while pretending I was taking part in The Great British Sewing Bee*, (garment conversion section). Very pleased with the result. The Japanese style top now has 3/4 length kimono stylee sleeves with insets made from the wide cuffs that I chopped off and carefully unpicked. Actually I think the garment looks much better like this than with shirt style sleeves and cuffs so 'ya boo' to the designers! Also no risk of cutting off the circulation to my hands now too.

*Anyone else an ardent follower of this prog? I thought the standard of fit and finish was very poor this year. Loved the white organza 'origami' top the chap made in the final tho.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th Apr 19, 9:52 AM
    • 22,137 Posts
    • 59,752 Thanks
    Pollycat
    How are the teeny tiny toes doing Pollycat...are you more mobile now? Can you do this yet --------
    Yes, I can do that (but only in my dreams).

I have a walker upstairs and downstairs (extra one bought from a charity shop for £5.00 ) so I'm more independent now, I don't need OH to transfer it from one floor to the other so I'm not tied to the same place if he goes out.
    But still having to scoot up and down stairs on my bum.

I have my 6 week appointment in just under 2 weeks and am hoping that they'll tell me just to rely on the boot and do away with the zimmer.
    I'm hoping that I'll be in trainers a couple of weeks after that.

I took a photo of my foot at my last appointment and a friend remarked 'Frankenstein feet'.

You might be impressed at my 'justification' skills:
    But...I have hit on a way to entertain myself.
    I worked out how much I'd usually spend on going out and I have a spreadsheet and am buying bits and pieces that interest me from eBay with my 'not going out' budget.
    So far. I've bought some silk scarves (Accessorize), 2 pair of Doc Mart Chelsea boots and a Mexican Taxco silver choker/collar.

And the good news is that I have 2 perfectly straight toes.
    I'm having nightmares about all the charity shop bargains that I'm missing.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 18th Apr 19, 6:15 AM
    • 4,436 Posts
    • 41,167 Thanks
    dolly84
    miro - I love the Sewing Bee too but thought this series there were some dodgy items which were being raved about, one I can remember was a dress the blonde woman in the final made from another item, they were saying it was red carpet worthy and I thought it was dreadful. I loved the italian guys wool coat though.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 18th Apr 19, 9:02 AM
    • 16,662 Posts
    • 142,891 Thanks
    JackieO
    Whilst on the Isle of Wight last week with my DGS Ben we found a Nigri chess set for a fiver which was the Battle of Waterloo one, with Napoleon and Wellington It had been reduced to a fiver from a tenner because two of the figures were slightly damaged.We repaired one of them yesterday (stuck its head back on with superglue) the other ones head is missing sadly ) but its good to play with .We looked on the internet and the prices of these hand painted sets start from £99.00 upwards Ben is going to keep it though as he really likes it and the teak board alone must be worth a fiver at least.That definitely was the best fiver I have spent in a CS and my DGS is chuffed to bits with it
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 18th Apr 19, 12:39 PM
    • 9,102 Posts
    • 30,367 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Wooh-hoo well done! My lot would be riffling through no longer loved figures looking for someone to decapitate to repair the figure and restore the set. Then messing around with paint & washes etc to improve the verisimilitude, but they paint figures for fun god help us. (if you have a metal figure & want to get the paint off, soak it in Dettol. Eyewateringly effective but I'm herding them towards isopropyl alcohol as its cheaper.)

My hurrah du jour are two chefs waist aprons, brand new, in that glorious pristine white that simply has to be seen fresh on to be believed. Two pounds each, but really lovely thick heavy cotton fabric, immaculate new labels & reinforced corner pieces where the tapes attach. What I haven't figured is why the buttonholes... Wraparound? Some button on chefs whites I wot not of?!
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 18-04-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

162Posts Today

954Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin