Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,902Posts
    • 45,673Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Page 107
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Jan 19, 6:50 PM
    • 21,780 Posts
    • 58,947 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Pollycat, I have to say Iíve never heard of Cobridge Stoneware, & a quick google suggests their pieces are more Art than I lurch for. My family are amazingly tolerant of jugs and mugs and teapots but if I were to start hoarding stunning vases, really exotic flower arranging for the use of, I think there would be more regrettable accidents.
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    We stumbled upon the factory and attached shop by accident years ago.
    I have ocean traveller vases and avian traveller vases plus a signed limited edition print of the original artwork for avian traveller (which is in my dining room and I look at it every day & smile).
    Plus some items from the 'rummage box' which are one-offs, including a test glaze on a special design vase.

Sorry to take this thread so far off-topic.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Jan 19, 8:03 PM
    • 21,780 Posts
    • 58,947 Thanks
    Pollycat
    OK.
    Deep breaths and put pottery behind me.
    Today I bought a John Rocha (RJR Debenhams) short sleeve shirt in blue/green/turquoise.
    £1.00 Air Ambulance.
    Will wash and gift to OH for his birthday.
    Too many shirts!
    I did suggest that he look through his wardrobe and I'd eBay/charity shop anything he didn't want.
    He replied that I should concentrate on down-sizing my wardrobe and get back to him in 10 year's time.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 13th Jan 19, 9:53 PM
    • 5,888 Posts
    • 25,545 Thanks
    Mirů
    We stumbled upon the factory and attached shop by accident years ago.
    I have ocean traveller vases and avian traveller vases plus a signed limited edition print of the original artwork for avian traveller (which is in my dining room and I look at it every day & smile).
    Plus some items from the 'rummage box' which are one-offs, including a test glaze on a special design vase.

Sorry to take this thread so far off-topic.
    Originally posted by Pollycat

It's so interesting when the thread goes O/T though....I've learned a lot about ermm....'stuff' from the people on here!

Did anyone see the Antiques Roadshow tonight with the pearl & diamond earrings that a woman found in a charity shop for £2.50? Forget how much they said they were worth but it was a lot! *dreams*

P.S. Had to go back and have another lookee....£2,000!
    Last edited by Mirů; 14-01-2019 at 5:38 PM.
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 14th Jan 19, 9:17 AM
    • 4,304 Posts
    • 29,678 Thanks
    tessie bear
    wise people could anyone tell me which shop/make has a fairly big W on its labels ?? I got a lovely furry animal print snood from cr for £2 and I would like to go to the shop its from to look at the range...with winter coats I find a non shedding scarf/snood very useful

many thanks xx
    on the brink...
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 14th Jan 19, 10:13 AM
    • 8,914 Posts
    • 29,185 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    He replied that I should concentrate on down-sizing my wardrobe and get back to him in 10 year's time.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    You do know that some shops loyalty includes a discount on their funeral services, eg coop, don't you? And that butchers are actually very helpful about renting freezer space especially in the new year once the Christmas stock has finally left.

More time to sort a good alibi & I'm sure RJR would make a stunning shroud...

tessie bear, I cheat and put google images to work. A few screens of logos and I can usually find whoever I'm hunting. A good non-shedding fabric is a lovesome thing!
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 14th Jan 19, 10:50 AM
    • 4,356 Posts
    • 40,469 Thanks
    dolly84
    tessiebear - I now the W you mean but I don't know the shop either.

Yesterday we got some bits from the CS DD volunteers at. DH got a navy and ecru checked shirt from Fat Face, long sleeved with a button down collar - £1.50, I got a Next cotton cable knit jumper in cream with a mock shirt layer in floral - £1.50 and two square pictures, the type that are just a wooden frame with canvas stretched over, they are both duck egg blue with cream floral prints, very pretty and just £1 for both.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Jan 19, 11:28 AM
    • 21,780 Posts
    • 58,947 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Did anyone see the Antiques Roadshow tonight with the pearl & diamond earrings that a woman found in a charity shop for £2.50? Forget how much they said they were worth but it was a lot! *dreams*
    Originally posted by Mir!
    No, I didn't see it but I love stories like that.
    Like the lady who thought she'd got a blue topaz solitaire ring but the guy on AR (with the soft, breathy voice) got so excited because he said it was a natural blue diamond.
    And the couple who ran the local tip who saved a boxed opal necklace and bracelet. I coveted that set.

I think Fiona Bruce is great at what she does. I like the Fake or Fortune series too.

wise people could anyone tell me which shop/make has a fairly big W on its labels ?? I got a lovely furry animal print snood from cr for £2 and I would like to go to the shop its from to look at the range...with winter coats I find a non shedding scarf/snood very useful

many thanks xx
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    If it's the 'W' I'm thinking about, it might be a BHS brand (in which case you're stuffed ).
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 14th Jan 19, 12:56 PM
    • 4,304 Posts
    • 29,678 Thanks
    tessie bear
    thankyou xx will try the google thing I think u may be right about the bhs it sort of has a bhs look to it xx
    on the brink...
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Jan 19, 3:06 PM
    • 2,471 Posts
    • 17,975 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I had a look around three charity shops today and ended up buying a red handbag and a black waterfall cardigan.

There wasn't much around which is weird as I thought the shops would have been inundated with stuff after Christmas.
    "Fall seven times and stand up eight."
    Japanese Proverb
    • Lavendar
    • By Lavendar 14th Jan 19, 4:39 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    Lavendar
    Got a pair new of Hotter loafer type shoes and a pair of almost new mint velvet jeans both £9.95 each not the cheapest but both charities that I would support anyway so I got something for a donation that I would have given.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Jan 19, 4:56 PM
    • 28,213 Posts
    • 60,137 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    No chazzer-outings but I have been decluttering and have set aside some stuff to donate
    wise people could anyone tell me which shop/make has a fairly big W on its labels ??
    tessiebear - I now the W you mean but I don't know the shop either.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    You got me too! I'm desperately racking my brain - I know its not Wallis, its a High Street store more in line with BHS, Littlewoods etc...perhaps a google image search would help? (Eta: as DfV has already suggested ).

Eta: it really helps to read to the end of the thread before responding, doesn't it?
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 14-01-2019 at 4:59 PM.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 14th Jan 19, 5:13 PM
    • 5,888 Posts
    • 25,545 Thanks
    Mirů
    thankyou xx will try the google thing I think u may be right about the bhs it sort of has a bhs look to it xx
    Is this it?

If so then it is 'W' by BHS
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 14th Jan 19, 5:28 PM
    • 10,187 Posts
    • 16,668 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    It's not Warehouse is it?
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 14th Jan 19, 5:52 PM
    • 4,304 Posts
    • 29,678 Thanks
    tessie bear
    thanks all xx miro that is indeed the very one thankyou I wont be looking in there any time soon ...babe I thought of warehouse cant really see a link with bhs but thankyouall knew id find the knowledge on here
    on the brink...
    • bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 14th Jan 19, 6:15 PM
    • 1,858 Posts
    • 2,422 Thanks
    bobsa1
    A quick cs visit yesterday and I got a lovely large square scarf to wrap a friends present in. The present is new body wash from the oxfam fair trade range, bought from oxfam but reduced in the sale and the fun ladybird meditation book I bought from a cs but new. So my friend will hopefully have a lovely present for our £5 present budget including fabric wrapping.

On this particular subject do other people give CS bargains as gifts or is it not the fine thing?
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Jan 19, 6:15 PM
    • 21,780 Posts
    • 58,947 Thanks
    Pollycat
    That's the logo I was thinking about.
    I was pretty sure it was BHS.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 14th Jan 19, 7:45 PM
    • 1,744 Posts
    • 4,159 Thanks
    DD265
    On this particular subject do other people give CS bargains as gifts or is it not the fine thing?
    Originally posted by bobsa1
    If it looked new and wasn't the kind of item I'd expect to have tags on it then totally!

My sister and I did our Christmas shopping for each other in the charity shops, max £10 spend each. She got me a jumper that I already had (same colour and everything) upstairs

I went into our local Sue Ryder today - was drawn in by a hi viz jacket but up close it wasn't what I wanted. I did find a long length Dorothy Perkins grey hooded cardigan which will be great for when it's warmed up again. It was £4 so not cheap but I'm pleased with it. I'm not the only person who thinks they have a tendency to overprice in there.

I have a big bag of clothes ready to donate so I was 'allowed' to bring one home today.
    Credit Cards 2019 - £2000/£8000 paid off - 25%
    1% Mortgage Over Payment 2019 - £28.85/£1500 - 1.92%
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 14th Jan 19, 9:24 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 3,411 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    Had a slight haul of really good basics in the £1 hospice outlet on Saturday.

Lots of tops for me, either thin jumpers or three quarter length sleeve type stuff (Mummy uniform to go with all my skinny jeans and jeggings!) Quite a bit looked unworn, I know they get some stock direct from Sainsburys and Tesco here.

Also got a GAP jumper and a Next jumper for DS, a lovely pale denim dress, also from Next, for DD when she's a bit bigger and a top and jumper with very geeky graphics on them for DsS ( both men's size small, he's 12 fgs lol)

Everything £1 each.
    Last edited by Lucy5781; 15-01-2019 at 5:47 AM.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 14th Jan 19, 9:25 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 3,411 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    We have an outlet shopping centre in town here, with a Denby shop. I always think of you guys when I go past it!
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • Happy One
    • By Happy One 14th Jan 19, 9:37 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 455 Thanks
    Happy One
    Couple of nice buys in my local charity shops on Saturday. A very lightweight linen summer jacket by Elvi in grey and white for £1 99 looks very classy. And a wash mitt in the shape of a rabbit still with tags from the Disney shop for 99p have put this away for an Easter present.
    To the folk who asked is it ok to give charity shop finds as presents? Well have to admit I do, I search out nice bits and pieces all through the year to make up into Christmas parcels for friends and family, and everyone is always pleased with the things I give.
    Last edited by Happy One; 14-01-2019 at 9:45 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,199Posts Today

6,887Users online

Martin's Twitter